R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 05-18-2014, 03:30 PM   #1441
Tech Addict
 
tim fry's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: Kent UK
Posts: 524
Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Default

Ran my xti today with inline configuration as I've always run it with the pack across and it went really well. I have tried it before and didn't stick with it as it seemed to want to oversteer randomly. So ran it today and it went well. The only area of the track that was a problem was a fast straight into a hairpin. I just couldn't get it to turn in it just wanted to under steer but with a bit of work I think it will be as fast as my transverse setup
tim fry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2014, 11:20 AM   #1442
Tech Master
 
BadSign's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Franklin, IN
Posts: 1,144
Trader Rating: 15 (100%+)
Default

Can someone tell me what differences I'd see if I changed my xti over to longer, parallel rear links, compared to the shorter, angled rear links?
__________________
This is the day the Lord has made, I will rejoice and be glad in it- Psalms 118:24

World Champion Turn Marshall
BadSign is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2014, 05:14 AM   #1443
Tech Master
 
I)arkness's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Victoria,Aus
Posts: 1,105
Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)
Default

i noticed that other day that my side links seemed tight when connected thought it may have been dirty, but if i pop either side off its nice and free on the ball? do i need new links or is something else need checking.
__________________
B.Portelli
Hyper RC - Metro Hobbies - RAB Hobbies - Wild Turbo Fans
Off road - Schumacher - R1Wurks Australia (Coupon Code - R1BP5%)
On road - Race Opt - Team Powers
I)arkness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2014, 07:31 AM   #1444
Tech Master
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: New Bern, N.C.
Posts: 1,179
Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by I)arkness View Post
i noticed that other day that my side links seemed tight when connected thought it may have been dirty, but if i pop either side off its nice and free on the ball? do i need new links or is something else need checking.
what you describe indicates that your center pivot ball is out of adjustment. If the center pivot ball is not in exactly the right spot, that will make one side link act as if it's too long and the other one will seem too short.........making both side links feel tight on their pivot balls. Thankfully, your issue is easy enough to fix. With all of the wheels removed and with the main chassis and the pod both resting on a good flat surface, just loosen the two nuts that retain the center pivot's "football". Shake the pod around so that the "football" and the center pivot ball finds their own naturally centered location. Then gently tighten one of the football nuts and then the other one. Both side links should then feel free on their respective pivot balls. If so, then fully tighten the two football nuts and you're done. If not, then loosen them both and repeat the process until you do get the football in a position that allows both side links to feel nice and free. This is a critical adjustment because the car will drive erratically if there is any binding in the action of the rear pod. It is a good habit to check your side links frequently to make sure that they still feel nice and free.......especially if the car takes any sort of hard impact or tumble.
vafactor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2014, 06:13 PM   #1445
Tech Master
 
I)arkness's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Victoria,Aus
Posts: 1,105
Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)
Default

excellent thanks vafactor will do that.
__________________
B.Portelli
Hyper RC - Metro Hobbies - RAB Hobbies - Wild Turbo Fans
Off road - Schumacher - R1Wurks Australia (Coupon Code - R1BP5%)
On road - Race Opt - Team Powers
I)arkness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2014, 02:51 AM   #1446
Tech Master
 
I)arkness's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Victoria,Aus
Posts: 1,105
Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)
Default

thanks vfactor, I pulled my car apart as was swapping to altered ego chassis, i had a bent screw on centre pivot so that fixed the link issue.
__________________
B.Portelli
Hyper RC - Metro Hobbies - RAB Hobbies - Wild Turbo Fans
Off road - Schumacher - R1Wurks Australia (Coupon Code - R1BP5%)
On road - Race Opt - Team Powers
I)arkness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2014, 11:36 AM   #1447
Tech Master
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: New Bern, N.C.
Posts: 1,179
Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by I)arkness View Post
thanks vfactor, I pulled my car apart as was swapping to altered ego chassis, i had a bent screw on centre pivot so that fixed the link issue.
when you put your car back together, be sure to use a steel screw (and not an aluminum one) for the center pivot ball. the center pivot gets subjected to a lot of force during an impact.......so using a steel screw in that critical location helps greatly to maintain the alignment of the rear pod. On my cars, I've had good success always using steel screws to fasten all of the pivot balls.
vafactor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2014, 09:56 AM   #1448
Tech Fanatic
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: Indianapolis, IN
Posts: 864
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by BadSign View Post
Can someone tell me what differences I'd see if I changed my xti over to longer, parallel rear links, compared to the shorter, angled rear links?

I did this and found the rear pod would rotate more freely than with the shorter, angled links. The feel of my car then was very much like the car when running the batteries in transverse position. I have retained this in my setup and am handling 180 corners better than before.
davidl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2014, 10:35 AM   #1449
Tech Addict
 
tim fry's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: Kent UK
Posts: 524
Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidl View Post
I did this and found the rear pod would rotate more freely than with the shorter, angled links. The feel of my car then was very much like the car when running the batteries in transverse position. I have retained this in my setup and am handling 180 corners better than before.
I assume from this you are using the wings or the chassis with the wings built in?
tim fry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2014, 02:17 PM   #1450
Tech Fanatic
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: Indianapolis, IN
Posts: 864
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by tim fry View Post
I assume from this you are using the wings or the chassis with the wings built in?
I used the chassis plate with the wide link mounts. It can be used either battery inline or battery transverse. I assume those mounting positions are as you call "wings". I also had to relocate the side springs. I choose the position next to the link mount which is the same as when mounting the battery transverse. I had to drill a hole in the cross brace for the spring screw.
davidl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2014, 03:05 PM   #1451
Tech Master
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: New Bern, N.C.
Posts: 1,179
Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidl View Post
I used the chassis plate with the wide link mounts. It can be used either battery inline or battery transverse. I assume those mounting positions are as you call "wings". I also had to relocate the side springs. I choose the position next to the link mount which is the same as when mounting the battery transverse. I had to drill a hole in the cross brace for the spring screw.
the altered ego chassis plate is the one with the integrated wide link mounts. Interestingly, the altered ego chassi plate is about 1/4" shorter than the standard super skinny XTI chassis plate. So, if one uses the altered ego chassis plate in combo with a standard XTI rear pod, the overall wheelbase will be about 1/4" shorter than a standard narrow XTI car. Taking 1/4" out of the car's wheelbase could explain why the car would be better in 180's, perhaps moreso than just taking the angle out of the side links. If you want to maintain the XTI's long wheelbase but use the integrated wings chassis, then there are different graphite pod plates for the altered ego that add back the 1/4".....but add what was lost from the main chassis plate by putting that much extra length into the pod. Personally, I like the car best with the altered ego's short main chassis in combo with the XTI's short pod. That combo yields a wheelbase about the same as some of the older CRC cars that were produced before it became the fashion to extend the wheelbase of 1/12th scale cars. Perhaps I'm old skool,........but I prefer the feel of the shorter wheelbase setup.
vafactor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2014, 06:11 PM   #1452
Tech Champion
 
Join Date: Nov 2001
Location: Hawaii, USA
Posts: 7,157
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by vafactor View Post
the altered ego chassis plate is the one with the integrated wide link mounts. Interestingly, the altered ego chassi plate is about 1/4" shorter than the standard super skinny XTI chassis plate. So, if one uses the altered ego chassis plate in combo with a standard XTI rear pod, the overall wheelbase will be about 1/4" shorter than a standard narrow XTI car. Taking 1/4" out of the car's wheelbase could explain why the car would be better in 180's, perhaps moreso than just taking the angle out of the side links. If you want to maintain the XTI's long wheelbase but use the integrated wings chassis, then there are different graphite pod plates for the altered ego that add back the 1/4".....but add what was lost from the main chassis plate by putting that much extra length into the pod. Personally, I like the car best with the altered ego's short main chassis in combo with the XTI's short pod. That combo yields a wheelbase about the same as some of the older CRC cars that were produced before it became the fashion to extend the wheelbase of 1/12th scale cars. Perhaps I'm old skool,........but I prefer the feel of the shorter wheelbase setup.
There are 2 Altered Ego chassis plates. The original Altered Ego conversion chassis is the same length as the Xti chassis plate. The chassis plate that comes with the Altered Ego kit is shorter.
__________________
Apex RC
www.apexrc.com - Hawaii's #1 RC Proshop

Share & Like Our Page:https://www.facebook.com/ApexRCProshop
Win free stuff!
InspGadgt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2014, 07:35 PM   #1453
Tech Master
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: New Bern, N.C.
Posts: 1,179
Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by InspGadgt View Post
There are 2 Altered Ego chassis plates. The original Altered Ego conversion chassis is the same length as the Xti chassis plate. The chassis plate that comes with the Altered Ego kit is shorter.
good to know. I bought my winged chassis plate separately and back when the winged versions first became available. Mostly I was attracted to the new chassis plate because I had cracked the the front body post area on my original chassis and I noticed that the front of the optional winged chassis plates had more graphite around the front body posts to make that area much stronger. It came as a surprise that the winged chassis was so much shorter than the standard XTI narrow plate. That unexpected difference in length turned out to be a happy accident since I soon realized that I prefer the driving feel of the shorter wheelbase setup. As a sidebar, the front of the skinny chassis plates has since been revised to also have more graphite around the front body posts. Just another example of running improvements to the CRC product.
vafactor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2014, 10:50 PM   #1454
Tech Master
 
BadSign's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Franklin, IN
Posts: 1,144
Trader Rating: 15 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidl View Post
I did this and found the rear pod would rotate more freely than with the shorter, angled links. The feel of my car then was very much like the car when running the batteries in transverse position. I have retained this in my setup and am handling 180 corners better than before.
I put my new AE chassis plate and with my xti rear end together yesterday, with the long parallel links. The rear instantly felt free, and no longer had the "progressive" stiff feel the old angled links had. I'm looking forward to trying it out next Friday.
__________________
This is the day the Lord has made, I will rejoice and be glad in it- Psalms 118:24

World Champion Turn Marshall
BadSign is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2014, 12:09 AM   #1455
Tech Champion
 
Join Date: Nov 2001
Location: Hawaii, USA
Posts: 7,157
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by vafactor View Post
good to know. I bought my winged chassis plate separately and back when the winged versions first became available. Mostly I was attracted to the new chassis plate because I had cracked the the front body post area on my original chassis and I noticed that the front of the optional winged chassis plates had more graphite around the front body posts to make that area much stronger. It came as a surprise that the winged chassis was so much shorter than the standard XTI narrow plate. That unexpected difference in length turned out to be a happy accident since I soon realized that I prefer the driving feel of the shorter wheelbase setup. As a sidebar, the front of the skinny chassis plates has since been revised to also have more graphite around the front body posts. Just another example of running improvements to the CRC product.
Only problem with that though is it is very difficult to run the battery in-line with the shorter Altered ego chassis.

Here's the original winged chassis, direct bolt on. (Thought this was called Altered Ego as well...guess not): http://www.teamcrc.com/crc/modules.p...prodID=7719466

Here's the shorter altered ego chassis: http://www.teamcrc.com/crc/modules.p...prodID=7719462

We tried building my friend's Altered Ego as an in-line like my Xti...even with the pretty small Orca ESC it wouldn't fit.
__________________
Apex RC
www.apexrc.com - Hawaii's #1 RC Proshop

Share & Like Our Page:https://www.facebook.com/ApexRCProshop
Win free stuff!
InspGadgt is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
12th Scale Racing is Alive and Well in So Cal RedBullFiXX California Racing 563 11-20-2016 08:18 AM



Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT -7. It is currently 05:17 PM.


Powered By: vBulletin v3.9.2.1
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Advertise Content © 2001-2011 RCTech.net

SEO by vBSEO 3.5.0