R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 02-16-2014, 08:05 PM   #1321
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

How does this car fair on asphalt? When you purchase the alter ego kit, you can change the layout from transverse to inline without changing the chassis setup?
EDWARD2003 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2014, 09:07 AM   #1322
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 14 (100%+)

David,
Now you just mentioned two items that are out of your control: oval and spraying. If your road racing direction is clockwise, you have to retrain the carpet fibers every event. If the spray used is not the same as your traction sauce, well, I am not a fan. I was just at a race were Traction Action was sprayed to quickly groove the track when everyone there was using SXT for sauce. Everybody was glazing tires and struggling. It wasn't until the next day did the glazing subside. Was it the spray? In my mind, the evidence was there. If I were to suggest something, run counterclockwise with the oval program and either forget spraying or use the same as what you are using for sauce.

The only other trick up my sleeve is go with diameter, it equals traction. That might mean may need to run 42/44 tires.

Edward,
I have never raced mine on asphalt, but if I had to pick one: Altered Ego. Because of the longer rear plate makes more rear grip.

Brian
Team Orca orcharc.com
Slapmaster6000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2014, 09:12 AM   #1323
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 12 (100%+)

What's up?
I ran my xti inline in 13.5 blinky for the 2nd meeting yesterday.
I have the same setup as the one knapp has on his posted a little while back, with the exception of 60wt associated in the shock, blue side springs and .20 associated front springs.
No matter what I do, the car develops a push later in the run. First time out I ran pink fronts magenta rears. Yesterday I started with black front yellow rears and it was better, but still had the push with 1 1/2- 2 min left. My last run (b-main) I put dbl pink front with yellow rears and sauced 3/4 of the front, it was fast but still pushed pretty bad. I did win it to bump to the A and was in second the for 6min and my Rx pack died.
No one was catching the first place guy the whole day but I did manage to get my fastest lap within .3 in the main and was the 2nd fastest of the day. He did 7.3 mine was 7.6 in practice
JOE SI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2014, 09:17 AM   #1324
Tech Master

His fastest lap was 7.5 in the main and was 7.7. He hit 7.3 fastest of the day and I hit 7.6 in practice.
Old 02-17-2014, 09:46 AM   #1325
Tech Elite

R/C Tech Elite Subscriber

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

If your track is not heavily run-in and you lose traction to the track, a longer tire soak may get you what you are looking for.

Also, if you are running Jack the Gripper or some other low-odor traction additive, it may not be as aggressive and soak in through as much of the tire as Paragon. Your tires may benefit from being lightly sauced the night before and put in a sealed container like a tupperware or even a heavy plastic bag like they sell offroad tires in these days.

Also, how much of the front tire are you saucing? When I ran black fronts I usually had to full sauce to get good grip and consistency.
It is obvious and intuitive to the most casual of observers that RC racing is better than golf.
DesertRat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2014, 11:03 AM   #1326
Tech Master

1/2 -3/4 by the end of the day, with sxt
Old 02-18-2014, 07:41 AM   #1327
Tech Addict

Thanks to everyone that suggested I go to much thicker dampening! Finally got the TQ and Win I've been looking for in our points series all year.

Getting consistency in the chicane was key to that win.

The only place I was lacking was off power mid corner steering. (still plenty quick in transitions but some push in 180s and long sweepers) What would be the best change to gain steering there without affecting turn-in?

Also, sort of a repost from the 12th forum:

A question for those of you with big race experience:

The Plex is my home track. Assuming that traction will come way up due to the high foam car count, will the tire combinations I am using for club racing work the same when traction is up?

Right now my best setup is an XI with Magenta/Blue .

Thanks for any tips!

See many of you next week!
Old 02-18-2014, 02:18 PM   #1328
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to Kave

Quote:
Originally Posted by jasons56 View Post

Thanks for any tips!

It will work but it won't be ideal. You will want to switch to a Black or Chrome front and a Graylo rear. The magenta/blue combo will simply have too much grip and be too aggressive. So while it will work it won't be the fastest.
Old 02-25-2014, 07:29 PM   #1329
Tech Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slapmaster6000 View Post
Going from 50 springs to 45's is going to have a bigger effect then a normal or tall ball stud on the shock. Going to a 45 spring is going to push more on corner entry. Lowing the back of the shock is going to make the shock feel softer too. Add both of those together and you will get less initial steering. So if that is the effect you are after, that should do it. Bottom line: try it! Don't take anyone's word on what something should do. Prove it to yourself.
Brian, I have taken a couple weeks to try both these concepts. I may not have elevated the rear of the shock as much as you did. I used the high roll center ball stud and after one run, raised that an additional .062 inches. That combination including the .50mm front springs ran identical to my previous setup with lowered shock, 10 degree caster blocks and no roll center plates.

My other combination was .45mm springs, 5 degree caster block, 2.0 roll center plate and stock shock position. This combination entered the corner pretty well and rolled into a tighter corner finish. Seemed to be close to what I had hoped for. I think that my carpet is different than that you raced on during your events you mentioned. We don't get the flypaper effect on our shoes. This has a little more chassis roll that I noticed even in the front. But, it didn't dive at the apex and block corner speed. I am going to play with this some more before declaring I have done all I can.

Also, I am pleased that I can put things on the car that once I considered too aggressive to try. You have helped me quite a bit. Just like the differential pieces.
davidl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2014, 09:28 PM   #1330
Tech Champion

R/C Tech Elite Subscriber

Trader Rating: 253 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to tobamiester Send a message via Yahoo to tobamiester

I took a bunch of pictures when I built my Altered Ego a couple of months back. Been meaning to post them in a brief blog format as I felt the Instructions, both online and in the Box are somewhat lacking if your new to the XTI platform. Maybe the pics will help answers questions. Thanks - http://teamtobamiester.wordpress.com...red-ego-build/
tobamiester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2014, 07:03 AM   #1331
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by jasons56 View Post
A question for those of you with big race experience:

The Plex is my home track. Assuming that traction will come way up due to the high foam car count, will the tire combinations I am using for club racing work the same when traction is up?

Thanks for any tips!

You should be fine, provided that you are cutting the tires small enough once the grip comes up.

There were at least 4 cars in the 17.5 A-main @ Snowbirds running Blue rears. You can definitely get that compound to work as a big-race rear tire in 17.5, but you just need to be very precise with your rear tire size and doping. Too big of a rear tire and you will never get the car out of the carpet and it will push and bog down everywhere.
JamesL_71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2014, 08:23 AM   #1332
Tech Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by JamesL_71 View Post
You should be fine, provided that you are cutting the tires small enough once the grip comes up.

There were at least 4 cars in the 17.5 A-main @ Snowbirds running Blue rears. You can definitely get that compound to work as a big-race rear tire in 17.5, but you just need to be very precise with your rear tire size and doping. Too big of a rear tire and you will never get the car out of the carpet and it will push and bog down everywhere.

Thanks! I will probably stick with it especially in 13.5!
Old 02-26-2014, 09:51 AM   #1333
Tech Adept

Default JamesL

Go get some of that A main stuff James...
tdu verney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2014, 05:50 AM   #1334
Tech Addict

I just wanted to shout out to the great help this club racer is getting from all of the CRC drivers at the Nats! I am starting to understand the brand loyalty on another level.

Ficco, Witta, Block, and countless others have jumped right in and helped time and again.

I wish I had been a little less thick skulled on Wednesday and cut those tires down as much as suggested. My club racer experience at this track just couldn't believe how fast the traction came up that day....

Funny to me, a lot of people are still calling it "medium" traction.

Sure helps when the field is so stacked and everyone knows how to stay in the groove!

Thanks Team CRC!
Old 03-01-2014, 08:41 PM   #1335
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 15 (100%+)

Can anyone tell me the length of the 3219 and 3218 Ride Height shims for the front? I purchased a used xti with no spacers on it, and need to bring the ride height down.
This is the day the Lord has made, I will rejoice and be glad in it- Psalms 118:24

World Champion Turn Marshall
BadSign is offline   Reply With Quote