R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 11-26-2012, 10:15 AM   #646
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

Dude 300 cst is roughly 27.5 wt and 400 cst is roughly 32.5 wt....unless your marc rheinhard ...i would say at least 50 % of rc racers around the world cant tell the difference....when i first started and roughly a year into racing i couldnt tell the difference...now that im slowly getting better im starting to see what differences the subtle changes make...but it takes time.
theatriks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2012, 10:45 AM   #647
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 47 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by locked View Post
The same "weight" from different brands can have very different cst ratings. Not all 30wt is the same viscosity. I assume that's why he was asking which brand.

I take my 1/12th as seriously as I can and then drive my best. I certainly ain't pro. I just like to know.
|◤ReflexRacing.net◢|◤Protoform◢|◤AVID R/C◢|
andrewdoherty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2012, 12:22 PM   #648
Tech Champion

R/C Tech Elite Subscriber

Trader Rating: 34 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by andrewdoherty View Post

I take my 1/12th as seriously as I can and then drive my best. I certainly ain't pro. I just like to know.
+1

"Men do not quit playing because they grow old; they grow old because they quit playing."
― Oliver Wendell Holmes Jr.
RedBullFiXX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2012, 12:51 PM   #649
Tech Master

I have seen numerous shock oil charts and none are ever the same.
Old 11-26-2012, 01:54 PM   #650
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by theatriks View Post
I have seen numerous shock oil charts and none are ever the same.
That would seem to indicate that there is even more of a delta in viscosity from bottle to bottle...
JamesL_71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2012, 02:10 PM   #651
Tech Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by JamesL_71 View Post
That would seem to indicate that there is even more of a delta in viscosity from bottle to bottle...
Your misunderstanding ...what I have seen is different charts giving the same brand oils different readings ....so who's is right is the question ? ..so choosing one brand and sticking to that brand is the ticket...IMO
Old 11-26-2012, 02:11 PM   #652
Tech Elite

here is an idea....
call crc and have them send you some more oil.
al dente is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2012, 02:17 PM   #653
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 19 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by al dente View Post
here is an idea....
call crc and have them send you some more oil.
Or do some testing of your own and find the oil that works for you and your track, thats something crc guys usually dont do.
Old 11-26-2012, 04:13 PM   #654
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 58 (100%+)

Buy a couple oils from your favorite manufacturer and go with it. If your this worried about your shock oil your most likely not worried enough about something else MUCH more important. Wheel it man!
MC112b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2012, 04:21 PM   #655
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slapmaster6000 View Post
Dan22; 30wt.... it's about all they use, stock, race. Depending on your class, track smoothness, you can go up/down 5wt.

Jarrod; If you make it to the Gym next week, come see me: Brian Bodine. What class are you racing? Stock/Mod. Inline/trans? Tires? Anytime you have steering push, take the braces off, only run them if you are traction rolling or need to take that little "edge" off of steering. I found the trans chassis better for my style and it allowed me to move the battery fore/aft to get that weight bias effect. You can also do the same thing by putting the bullet plug fwd/rearward. If you are running stock, yel/black is going to be the combo to use about 90% of the time. If you want to get a bit more "racy" try graylow/chrome, you may need to CA the front side walls. You can also use yel/mag with CA. If you are kit, it came with .50 front springs. Try .45's. Your king pin should measure .400 to .404". Watch out for new and old front springs, they are silver and black, they are different lengths. Start with .400" front king pin with silver springs and .404" with black springs. You can vary from there, but I wouldn't go beyond .003"+. Then, what body? Audi R8C? That is the best for this car for stock. If you are going faster: Mohawk. Camber should be set about -.5*. I tell guys to use as much camber as you can until it traction rolls, then back it off. If your car is twitchy up front and pushy at the end, try less camber and more dope till it gets it right.

thanks brian..

i mean the car isnt that bad, turned quickest lap in our A-main a weekend ago.. and could stay right with the top drivers. and set tq in the second round.. it was the first night i was able to get a full race in after solving all the previous problems.. axle bearings, rx went bad, motor didnt work with my tekin(d3.5/older tekin esc)

I use black fronts grey/lo rears. just what everyone here in victoria runs..havent really tried diff compounds yet.. think ive got the 5deg front blocks in it.. maybe ill go to the 10's? and i run the inline setup. kingpins set at .412--(botom of plastic knuckle to bottom of c-clip grove) i use the shick crc lube (small clear bottle with red screw on cap)

thanks.. class still up in the air.. if the guy can lend me one of his motors, ill give mod a try.. otherwise ill have to find a way to run enough gear to run blinky..

is anyone there goin to be carrying crc parts? does anyone have a main chassis plate for the xti? i broke the front body post corners off..arg

Last edited by jarrodh; 11-26-2012 at 05:20 PM.
jarrodh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2012, 06:09 PM   #656
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 14 (100%+)

Ah, that sucks. I did that in Vegas, but you should have seen the board I clobbered. Run a bumper, that's all I can say about that. Sorry, no spare chassis plate.

Think Vic does 17.5 boost if I am not mistaken. So that is like a quicker 13.5 blinky with a little faster corner entry speed. You can try the 10* reactive caster blocks if you want more overall steering then 5*'s. Watch for it to be "darty", then you'll know to go back to 5*'s.

.412" is too much. Think of king pin length as the same as TC droop. If you have more front droop under acceleration in a TC, what does it do? It will push power on. Take droop away, it what? Keeps more weight on the nose and makes more steering. Try .400-402 with the silver springs, .404-407" with the blacks.

If you are going to run stock, look for a 72 spur right now. You will need upper 50's for pinions. No offense, but it sounds like you need a little more seat time if you are blowing out bearings and knocking the corner off the chassis. Race stock, I promise you will have your hands full. It's packed with some fast guys. Mod has taken us some time to get sorted and it didn't happen on the first visit.

Black/graylow will work at our track too.

I will see if I can scan a set up sheet for the Xti and post it up for the Seattle Gym. If not, PM me your email and I will send it over.
Team Orca orcharc.com
Slapmaster6000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2012, 06:38 PM   #657
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 14 (100%+)

Pretend this is a Xti set up sheet....
Attached Files
File Type: pdf Xti Sea Gym.pdf (363.1 KB, 133 views)
Team Orca orcharc.com
Slapmaster6000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2012, 06:49 PM   #658
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)
Default new chassis available

Two cool new chassis plate offerings were available for the CRC XTI cars at the Indoor Champs in Ohio over the Thanksgiving weekend. First.....CRC brought some newly revised XTI inline chassis plates that have more graphite around the front body post area. That additional graphite up front means the new chassis plate will be much stronger in that vulnerable location. There is also a new transverse chassis plate available to those (like me) who prefer the traditional sideways battery orientation. That second new chassis plate is called "alternate ego". Like the updated inline plate, the "alternate ego" chassis also has the additional graphite up front to make the body post area stronger. And it has the extension wings for the front of the side links integrated into the chassis plate itself. No more need for bolt on side wings. I put an "alternate ego" chassis on my car in the middle of the event and I really liked the car's behavior. Because the new chassis plate doesn't have the little 4-40 screws holding the wings on, it allows more options for electronics placement. With my servo and the other electronic components in a more traditional location (with the servo behind the front axles and not in front), my car drove butter smooth after the change. As always, the CRC boys never rest as they continually develop their product to support racing at the highest level.
vafactor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2012, 06:59 PM   #659
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

ah.. that droop does make sense.. the broken body posts were more a result from the faulty rx.. after i fixed that the board meetings got alot better.. but you may be right about mod.. ive never run mod before.. just not too sure where im goin to find a 72 spur and the pinions around here in time..
Old 11-26-2012, 09:19 PM   #660
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 193 (99%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by theatriks View Post
Your misunderstanding ...what I have seen is different charts giving the same brand oils different readings ....so who's is right is the question ? ..so choosing one brand and sticking to that brand is the ticket...IMO
You ask who is correct? CST is CST and you will see a small variance in the actual CST from batch to batch. So if the RC oil bottler is truthful about the CST then Xray and AE would be the same actual.

I like that AE gets their shock oil from Lucas oil. Lucas is large enough the quality control from batch to batch should be very consistent.

Shear: When viscosity is determined by directly measuring shear stress and shear rate, it is expressed in centipoise (cP) and is referred to as the absolute or dynamic viscosity. In the oil industry, it is more common to use kinematic viscosity, which is the absolute viscosity divided by the density of the oil being tested. Kinematic viscosity is expressed in centistokes (cSt). Viscosity in centistokes is conventionally given at two standard temperatures: 40C and 100C (104F and 212F ).
dodgeguy is offline   Reply With Quote