Team CRC Xti 1/12th Scale!!

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Like Tree221Likes

Team CRC Xti 1/12th Scale!!

Hide Wikipost
Old 03-02-2021, 05:42 PM   -   Wikipost
R/C Tech ForumsThread Wiki: Team CRC Xti 1/12th Scale!!
Please read: This is a community-maintained wiki post containing the most important information from this thread. You may edit the Wiki once you have been a member for 90 days and have made 90 posts.

Last edit by: tobamiester

Search this Thread

Old 03-28-2017, 08:35 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)

As the carpet season comes winding down I have a new setup for people to try!

I've been doing some testing with the ultimate goal of making my car as easy to drive as possible and so far this setup has been the ticket. It's incredibly easy to drive while also maintaining enough aggression to yield fast lap times. I would encourage anyone who wants to try something different to give this one a go. All results are on medium-high grip CRC Black Carpet.

Kevin Van Ert March 2017 Setup:
Front:
168mm width
5* reactive caster blocks
1 shim forward, two back
.45mm springs with .5mm droop (more droop if you need it to be more aggressive)
Losi smart grease on the kingpins
.5* camber (can go up or down .25* depending on what you like to drive)
1mm toe out (this should equate to about 1*)
2mm roll center spacer
3.5mm ride height
CRC stripe tires 40mm glued all the way up to the surface (do not hesitate to run bigger tires but continue to apply enough glue)

Rear:
Battery forward
171mm width
35 weight AE oil in shock
AE Gold spring
CRC .45mm side springs ran inboard (inboard is crucial here, outboard will be more aggressive)
10,000 weight tube lube (Either CRC or Hudy will do great here)
3.5mm ride height
2mm pod droop (less will be smoother)
CRC stripe tires 40.5mm
CRC Lola body cut on all cut lines

If anyone has questions do not hesitate to ask. I think some of you might really like this setup!
MontanaMaxx and 2kidsrogers like this.
Old 03-28-2017, 09:08 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

The 0.45mm front end springs are very soft, for some reason I have never gotten my car to be efficient through corners with such a soft setup, 0.50 or 0.55 was more predictable and held better lines for me.

Aside from that, I will have to try the losi smart grease. I typically run some light oil on the front kingpins, but maybe grease is the way to go.
Old 03-28-2017, 09:16 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)

Originally Posted by DesertRat
The 0.45mm front end springs are very soft, for some reason I have never gotten my car to be efficient through corners with such a soft setup, 0.50 or 0.55 was more predictable and held better lines for me.

Aside from that, I will have to try the losi smart grease. I typically run some light oil on the front kingpins, but maybe grease is the way to go.
Are you running 17.5 or 13.5? In the faster classes the 45 springs tend to compress a bit too fast for my liking some of the time. I am experimenting with some slightly longer springs with decent results so far. In 13.5 I ran the same setup with slightly stiffer (.475 Xenon) front springs. Had similar results with CRC .50s and would have liked to do more testing.
Old 03-28-2017, 02:42 PM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by Kave
Are you running 17.5 or 13.5? In the faster classes the 45 springs tend to compress a bit too fast for my liking some of the time. I am experimenting with some slightly longer springs with decent results so far. In 13.5 I ran the same setup with slightly stiffer (.475 Xenon) front springs. Had similar results with CRC .50s and would have liked to do more testing.
I was running in 17.5. My car is a bit different now, though, I swapped it to the aluminum chassis plate and it liked a harder front / softer rear side spring setup. I am running yokomo soft rear side springs which really calmed the car down, but paradoxically I needed an increase in dampener tube fluid to 30k to smooth out the entry-mid-exit corner transitions. This setup is easily tuned now with a combination of main spring, droop, and front end alignment. Other drivers had said that my car has an apparently lazy turn-in and that they had to drive further ahead of the car than normal, but it works for me and worked on the clock at my last outing.

I had tried running a non-reactive front end setup with the soft springs as I had seen others use successfully, and when I had it running right it worked decently, but it wasn't to my liking. The car felt like it was struggling to control its weight and right or straighten itself coming out of corners, felt heavy and plodding as opposed to the light feel of the harder spring set with a more reactive front end.
Old 04-12-2017, 08:03 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

I'm wondering what CRC bodies people like to run in 13.5 and mod?
Old 04-13-2017, 04:35 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 26 (100%+)

on a high traction carpet that i ran on this past weekend, i made the change from .45 to .50. the setup was golden next to try is the losi smart grease i've heard a lot about it
Old 04-14-2017, 12:11 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 43 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Ophidian
Love the Lola in 13.5!

May work well in mod as well. I would suggest trying the Toyota too!
Old 04-14-2017, 12:15 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 43 (100%+)

I run the Lola almost all the time in stock as well.
Old 04-15-2017, 05:07 PM
Tech Elite

It may be nuts but a few of the bodies I found that make mod easier to drive are the old Parma bodies, Speed 8 HD and such. They aren't as efficient but give plenty of balanced downforce.
Old 05-19-2017, 08:46 PM
Tech Adept

Hey guys, hope this is the correct place to post this. I am looking to get back into 1/12 onroad as a track is near me and I didn't know this till now! I have found a killer deal on a crc carpet knife xti but am unsure if this is a good car to get back in the game with. I last raced a rc12l3... any help is appreciated! Thanks
Old 05-19-2017, 09:30 PM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by traumajunkie
Hey guys, hope this is the correct place to post this. I am looking to get back into 1/12 onroad as a track is near me and I didn't know this till now! I have found a killer deal on a crc carpet knife xti but am unsure if this is a good car to get back in the game with. I last raced a rc12l3... any help is appreciated! Thanks
If it's a good deal, then sure. Is it the older inline car or is it a newer transverse mount Altered Ego or the like?

The good thing about CRC is that they offer many different combinations of main chassis, pod plate, and front end. Xti can mean quite a few things these days. 1/12 hasn't changed in that any half decent car can win a race with a good tune and driver.
Old 05-20-2017, 03:37 AM
Tech Adept

If it's a good deal, then sure. Is it the older inline car or is it a newer transverse mount Altered Ego or the like?

The good thing about CRC is that they offer many different combinations of main chassis, pod plate, and front end. Xti can mean quite a few things these days. 1/12 hasn't changed in that any half decent car can win a race with a good tune and driver.
It's a brand new, never built xti carpet knife with a bunch of spares,2 sets of tires, a lipo and a new body for 150....

Though now I am debating after your reply in my other thread
Old 05-20-2017, 04:50 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 26 (100%+)

I have a mcfactory aluminum chassis for the crc
Old 07-02-2017, 06:30 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

I've bought the updated pod and installed it in my car. I can't seem to find a good location for the motor. The wires are on top and the sensor is on the bottom. Am I missing something or do I need a motor with the sensor board up for this. Otherwise there isn't any clearance for the sensor cable
Old 07-02-2017, 09:07 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

Originally Posted by gmintimidator
I've bought the updated pod and installed it in my car. I can't seem to find a good location for the motor. The wires are on top and the sensor is on the bottom. Am I missing something or do I need a motor with the sensor board up for this. Otherwise there isn't any clearance for the sensor cable
Most of my motors also have the sensor wire plug at the lower edge of the can. While not ideal, they do fit in the pod so long as I plug in the sensor wire before lowering the motor into position. The sensor wire looks almost pinched, but it works fine and I've never had a problem.
davidl likes this.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.