Wiki Posts
Search

Airline travel with your RC equipment

Search this Thread

Old 03-11-2005, 05:30 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 37 (100%+)
Default airport...

I took everything...I had two craftman tool boxes, the ones that roll. I large suitcase and a carry on... This was on southwest, they allow 3 items for checkin...up to 70 pounds each and one carry on.. I took everything except motor spray and traction compount..

Had my car, batts and radio in the carry-on plus some other items but everything else in the totes...just put a towel around the chargers and other items.
This was going from Sacramento to Portland, everything went fine on the way there.

On the way back, all hell broke loose, I walked up to check in and right then the chick made me go through everything, down to all of the diff lubes etc... well it must of been that time of the month for her, she kept everything that wasnt listed with contents of what was inside the tubes, lubes, oils etc...all gone.....
Javier (harshguy) was with me and his stuff was unopened and fine (different line), but my problems started there, they searched my stuff again at the baggage claim...... So it really depends on the airport and who is working that day.... I would do it again. Other then that, everything was ok, nothing broken...
Old 03-11-2005, 08:15 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

No need to ship everything unless you have fifty bucks or so to spare (remember it has to go both ways!). Spread everything out on the floor and pare down everything and take only what you think you will need and a small spares kit. Accept that you will have to purchase or borrow anything flammable like motor spray, lighter fluid, etc. as well as unusual parts that get broken. I've had to buy receivers and speed controls on the road- deal with it.
Most airlines have a 50 pound limit on bags, so weigh it before you leave the house. I take a clamshell (hard) bag with everything fragile like chargers and power supply, radio and cars, and then a softside bag with tires and parts in it. If you're really paranoid, take your car/s in your carry on- not tools! Don't take batteries or your radio in your carry on and you should be fine. See you in Atlanta!
Later
Doc
Old 03-12-2005, 03:43 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

I have flown twice now, first from Sydney to Japan for the World TCS race, and recently from the east coast to the west coast of Australia, both times i have taken my transmitter bag on the plane as a over the shoulder carry on, and in my carry on luggage, i had the cars, cells, motors, power supply etc, it would have been well over the carry on weight but i have yet to see any carry on bags weighed.

In my luggage i had chargers, tools, spares, tires, comm lathe etc as well as my clothes. Kit boxes are good things to store the equipment, i have a big suit case that could fit approx 4 kit boxes in it, going to japan we had 25kg available, while domestic i was allowed 32kg both times i made sure i was just under the limit.

Try and pack everything in, starting with putting all heavy and expensive items in the carry on, then pack the remainder in the baggage.

At each time i went through the xray machines the guards got all nervous etc, but they will ask to look at the equipment, most people know what an rc car looks like just open everything for them to look at and you will be fine.

Consumables like motor spray and traction compound can always be bought and given to a local racer after yourve finished.
Old 03-12-2005, 08:42 AM
Tech Adept

Originally posted by rccardr
Don't take batteries or your radio in your carry on and you should be fine. See you in Atlanta!
Later
Doc
unless you have a foam hard case for your transmitter, it should be a carry-on, because the airline will drop / throw / & kick your bags (it no fun to find-out your tx doest work, when you should be practicing)... just make sure you have the batteries for it so you can turn it on for the inspectors.

-mail things that are bulk'y and or over weight, ive seen people send fuel, spray, ect... but plan ahead because its shipped via ground only... ship directly to the track/hobby shop (or hotel you will be at) it cuts down wondering if your package has arrived/driving to pick it up...

-use ziplock bags, tape (needed to tape everything close), towels, foam... remember if your if its heavy, it will be dropped and abused...

-carry ons; most important no tools, and be selective because you will have to show and tell...

***and my last bit of advice, protect your tx, its expensive and you may not be able to replace it if its damaged, not all hobby shops stock jr, ko, futaba, you get the picture...