Community
Wiki Posts
Search

banked track

Search this Thread

Old 03-10-2005, 04:00 PM
ajg

Default banked track

I am going to make a banked track to run my hpi 540 micro on. It will be small, 11 feet wide and 15 feet long with only 8 feet of straight track on it. The banks will be at 45 degrees and will have 4 inch walls on each side to keep the car on track (it will stay on track by carbon fiber tubes on all four corners of the car, sticking out the body in front of the front wheels and in back of the rear wheels on the fenders. The carbon fiber tubes will have shocks on them to keep it running smooth along the track. The tubes will reach from one wall to the next and have bearings on the ends. They will be connected to the inside of each fender by a custom mount.). The track will be 1 foot wide all the way around, since it will be lapping an estimated 2 times per second at top speed and there is no way I could control it myself (which is why I need the carbon fiber guides). The track will be sprayed with vht for better traction accelerating.

Do you guys think it is possible for my car to stay on the track at those speeds? (The highest speed that I've reached driving my car is 70 mph on a very smooth track, about 300 feet long. It has an alfa romeo body with a large wing, and has great stability at high speeds. I just don't know if it will act the same on a banked track)

Thanks for the help.

(please no negative replies)
Old 03-10-2005, 05:25 PM
Tech Addict

it wont reach those speeds with a tight track bank or no.
Old 03-10-2005, 06:18 PM
ajg

Is it because it's almost always turning?

How big do you think it would have to be?

Old 03-10-2005, 06:24 PM
Tech Addict

mostly that yea and the friction of the walls too.
its just impossible to have it SUPER fast with a track with turns. the more the tighter the turns the slower the track.
if you get the track actually ON the walls, and run your car on the walls with enought speed to actually do a whole wallrun then it would go fast. and also the track would be a neverending straight course. so make the track a perfect circle small enough to wallride. but remember, even though its going straight its not flat so the larger the circle the faster it will go.
Old 03-10-2005, 06:27 PM
ajg

Do you think I could get away with just raising the degree of the track to maybe 60 or 70 degrees, instead of 90?
Old 03-10-2005, 06:28 PM
Tech Addict

oh btw do you know those little tamiya toys that came out maybe about 8 years ago called mini4wds? they were real popular in japan for little kids back then. they basically were littel 4wd motorized cars you customized and raced in a track with walls, like a slot car but not a slot but walls and rollers to guide it. i think i still have a couple in my closet. thats basically waht ur trying to do i think.
Old 03-10-2005, 06:30 PM
ajg

I'm also going to use the track to tune my car. For example, the suspension (for the best acceleration), the aerodynamics at higher speeds, etc.
Old 03-10-2005, 06:35 PM
Tech Addict

but the settings will be so different on an actual track tho
Old 03-10-2005, 06:37 PM
ajg

Yes, but I have nothing else to do. (basketball season ended, and I have a lot of free time)
Old 03-10-2005, 06:38 PM
Tech Addict

lol you mean you dont polevault??
well if youre bored and have the means to build that sure why not ill be interested in how it goes
Old 03-10-2005, 06:39 PM
ajg

It's also going to be big enough for 1/10 scale touring cars.
Old 03-10-2005, 06:40 PM
Tech Addict

awsome. too bad you dont live close by.