R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 08-29-2012, 01:58 AM   #1
Tech Initiate
Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)
Default Aluminum, Stainless Steel or Titanium?

hey, how is everyone

generally, i have noticed by just browsing through several pictures in the past that some TC cars have a screw mix of what seems to be titanium and aluminum.
being in Singapore, i constantly have to deal with the stock steel screws rusting. which is a real pain to be honest. i have recently got a new car, and some of the screw heads are already starting to show signs of rust. i have previously converted my B44 to all stainless steel. however i want to get an opinion of what screws i should use for my car (robitronic avid v2) should i use titanium on the upper decks, aluminum on the shock towers, stainless on the chassis....or simply all titanium, etc. i am not to sure what the best solution is for weight/strength purposes.i am not wanting to go back to steel as the climate here just isn't friendly towards it. i know you can coat steal with a mixture to stop it rusting....but to be honest i would rather go for the titanium. what are your thoughts on what i should get. i will buy from overseas so any place will do. i have heard lunsford is the go to for titanium. please share your opinion

thank you!
jztwin1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2012, 04:58 AM   #2
Tech Adept

i run steel in the bottom of the chassis and all other screws titanium, but you could swap some of the titanium with aluminium just remember to always use a "new" screwdriver on the aluminium screws or then you might ruin them.

Steven Olsen
CAR: Awsomatix A700L.
Nosram 7000 Batteries.
Nosram Comet HD ESC.
Nosram Pure 2 evolution Motor.
StevenOlsen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2012, 10:35 AM   #3
Tech Master
Trader Rating: 86 (99%+)

Check out Hexcrew's zinc-nickel plated screws. They're grade 12.9 alloy steel but still have corrosion resistance. They already have a kit for your Avid V2 as well.

KyLayfield is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2012, 01:23 AM   #4
Tech Regular
Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

A lot of guys use aluminium screws on places you don't have to unscrew much. Something like the shocktowers and Bulkheads and stuff. Use Steel screws where you need to screw a lot, topdeck and stuf.

But then again what steven says is also a good one, And I'm using that to keep the CG as low as possible. :-)

Regards Robert
Sponsored by: Schumacher Racing and Dualsky
Supported by: Shepherd Benelux and Thunder Tiger.
Robert_K is offline   Reply With Quote