Wiki Posts
Search

HPI.. what's wrong with you?

Search this Thread

Old 08-04-2012, 11:34 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Default HPI.. what's wrong with you?

About a month ago I placed an order for a set of bodyposts to finish up a build I was doing on HPI's website. I come to find out after placing the order, the product is backordered. I send an email to them asking for a cancellation and a few days later I got back a pleasant reply that the order would be cancelled, and a refund will be issued shortly.

Five days later, nothing has happened, so I send another email asking what happened?

no response.

Now i'm pretty choked. Mainly over the lack of response on their part and partly because they still haven't issued the refund they were supposed to.

I get back a mail that's all apologetic and they would get on it ASAP.

that was a MONTH ago.

Now, I've had enough. too much time has passed and they just won't do right.

So, because of that, they've lost my business and they can go DIAF for all I care. I am NOT dealing with a bunch of incompetent, brainless wankers that treat people like this.
Old 08-05-2012, 12:06 AM
Tech Fanatic

What's wrong with HPI: everything.
Old 08-05-2012, 06:31 AM
Tech Apprentice

A)Why would you order direct from HPI and not from your LHS?
In my humble experience, HPI is pretty good about updating their web site stock. As a matter of fact, when they launched the new 78 trans am pontiac all of the on line sellers showed in stock before HPI did. Was that an over sight or was it marketing strategey to allow their vendors a jump on sales. I have no idea.
B)If the HPI site was the only site on the net that showed the posts in stock, did that not send up a red flag? Why didn't you call them first to verify that the parts were in fact in stock before ordering?
C)Why would you not call HPI after not receiving an e-mail response within a week? Granted, they are slow to respond and a week is about how long it has taken them to respond to any of my e-mails. However, each e-mail included a phone number to call.
D)Be thankful that you didn't order you posts direct from an on line seller in Maryland. Those clowns show in stock 99.9% of everything and rarely have any of it. They rarely if ever respond to e-mails. They won't refund your money either. I chased them for over three and a half months for an item that they had listed as in stock. All I got was the run around. I eventually did get the item, which by the way was defective. Once I can understand. Twice, well may be a system glitche or over sight. But three times within eight months pretty much says it all. I just cut my losses on that one, I didn't even bother to pursue getting a refund or replacement part. OBTW I did go to my LHS first and their distributors were out of stock and all of them were back ordered on the same item. And no, I didn't call first to verify that the part was in stock. I missed the red flag on that one. Lesson learned and remembered.

Some advice, [in retrospect and hind sight, of course and if you're open to accepting advice], if everybody on line is out of stock or back ordered on an item and only one seller has it, that's a RED FLAG. CALL first and save yourself the grief.

Oh yeah, and try your LHS first. Do this and the chances of the mailman, UPS/Fed-X drivers misdelivering or losing your package are almost non-existent and if you have less than upright neighbors or ambitious youth in the area that have a case of sticky fingers, well they won't have anything of yours sticking to their fingers, will they.

By going through your LHS, they take all of the risks and you will probably get your item faster. Yeah, you may spend a small bit more, but the shipping charges alone usually add up to more than the difference between the on line sale price and the list price. And if you went direct to HPI then you paid list plus shipping anyway. Tsk, tsk. Look at all you've gone through for a set of $7 body posts. Imagine how you'd feel if you dropped $500 for a kit.
Another fyi, HPI takes paypal. Using payapl you can lodge a no item received claim after 10 days and get a refund. This may take a while. but you get a full refund. Just saying.

Just in case you missed the customer support page on the HPI web site here's their snail mail address and phone numbers. Yeah, no 1-800 or 1-866 free phone calls either. I know, why should you spend more money for a $7 part. Time is money. So,too late.

HPI Racing
70 Icon St
Foothill Ranch, CA 92610

Our phone number is:
(949) 753-1099

Our fax number is:
(949) 753-1098

Last edited by -Dutch-; 08-05-2012 at 02:55 PM.
Old 08-27-2012, 12:41 PM
Tech Master

two main reasons why I went through HPI direct.

1) my LHS does not and will not carry the parts I want/need
2) I figured I'd give them a chance, seeing as the part i wanted showed that it was "in stock".

A higher-up replied to my last email (the one where I told them they lost my trust), and tried to blame it on paypal. And yet... I didn't use paypal. I used a visa debit card.

They make great stuff but if this is the kind of "service" people get from them, with them trying to pass the buck and all, I really don't think they deserve my hard earned money.
Old 08-27-2012, 12:52 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 93 (100%+)

If you used your credit card I'd contact them and get it taken care of that way. HPI can waste their time talking to the CC company if they have issues with it.
Old 08-27-2012, 12:52 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 91 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Sabin
two main reasons why I went through HPI direct.

1) my LHS does not and will not carry the parts I want/need
2) I figured I'd give them a chance, seeing as the part i wanted showed that it was "in stock".

A higher-up replied to my last email (the one where I told them they lost my trust), and tried to blame it on paypal. And yet... I didn't use paypal. I used a visa debit card.

They make great stuff but if this is the kind of "service" people get from them, with them trying to pass the buck and all, I really don't think they deserve my hard earned money.
I would do a search 1st on google to see what store has them instock as an alternate plan you can always use parma's universal body post
I can't see why anyone would post this type of a thread for body post complains c'mon it's a hobby
Old 08-28-2012, 07:44 PM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by GMartinez
I can't see why anyone would post this type of a thread for body post complains c'mon it's a hobby
It doesn't matter if it's a five dollar part or a five hundred dollar kit. It's hard-earned money and HPI dropped the ball on this one.

Last edited by Sabin; 08-29-2012 at 09:36 PM.
Old 08-28-2012, 07:53 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 93 (100%+)

Originally Posted by GMartinez
I would do a search 1st on google to see what store has them instock as an alternate plan you can always use parma's universal body post
Please send me $5 then and I may or may not send you something in return. After all its just a hobby...