R/C Tech Forums

R/C Tech Forums (https://www.rctech.net/forum/)
-   Electric On-Road (https://www.rctech.net/forum/electric-road-2/)
-   -   Short Course Onroad (https://www.rctech.net/forum/electric-road/657231-short-course-onroad.html)

rnelias 08-26-2012 05:00 PM

Short Course Onroad

I've searched but haven't found any related thread.

We've been racing 2WD short course (Slash, SC10, Extended Rustlers, etc...) onroad since last year (2011) with great success. The idea here is to open a thread to discuss experiences. I hope who likes short course cars would also enjoy race them onroad.

The following movies were recorded in the 5th "Niteroiense's RC Championship of 2012".

+ YouTube Video
ERROR: If you can see this, then YouTube is down or you don't have Flash installed.

+ YouTube Video
ERROR: If you can see this, then YouTube is down or you don't have Flash installed.

Specs:

We're not very tight with specs. Basically, the car must have Short Course dimensions and use 2S batteries. Racers are allowed to use any esc/motor and tires they want. The idea is to develop the cars so as we can have a competitive performance with "true" onroad cars.

From these experiences, we getting closer to the 1/10 touring cars. From the movies above, a lap is completed in 15 sec by a Pro12 car, 17 by EP, 18-19 by a RTR and 21 by short courses (without any aerodynamic modifications).

jpk4ud 08-26-2012 05:42 PM

We have been running SCT on-road in Dayton,Ohio for a few year now. This year there are two classes of them. We run a stock Slash class, motor, servo,shocks, traxxas springs and traxxas off road tires. You can change to RPM bumpers and c-hubs. This class is so people can buy a Slash pull it out of the box and race. The second is an open SCT class...bring it and run it doesn't matter what you do to it. We have SC10 2wd, Slash, SC10 4wd, Losi. A lot of guys run street fighters in the open class. Motors from 17.5 to 6.5.

Most of the time we have as many running the SCT on road as we have in the TC class. The stock Slash class has some of the best racing.

bpalmer 08-26-2012 06:07 PM

Originally Posted by rnelias (Post 11138574)
I've searched but haven't found any related thread.

We've been racing 2WD short course (Slash, SC10, Extended Rustlers, etc...) onroad since last year (2011) with great success. The idea here is to open a thread to discuss experiences. I hope who likes short course cars would also enjoy race them onroad.

The following movies were recorded in the 5th "Niteroiense's RC Championship of 2012".

+ YouTube Video

+ YouTube Video

Specs:

We're not very tight with specs. Basically, the car must have Short Course dimensions and use 2S batteries. Racers are allowed to use any esc/motor and tires they want. The idea is to develop the cars so as we can have a competitive performance with "true" onroad cars.

From these experiences, we getting closer to the 1/10 touring cars. From the movies above, a lap is completed in 15 sec by a Pro12 car, 17 by EP, 18-19 by a RTR and 21 by short courses (without any aerodynamic modifications).

we run 2 classes at our on road track...spec slash for noobies to get there feet wet..pretty much box stock with the exception of replacement parts and then rpm can be used. also a mod class where pretty much anything goes...we added jumps this year...have a video of last years stock class with yours truly in the bright orange truck...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Dq9Bi2pYDjg

AzFittin 09-01-2012 05:20 PM

Here is how we are running it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nYwaS3vI3R8

The addition of the jumps (just some 2x4s with boards attached) adds some real fun and are very easily removed for the next class.

jpk4ud 09-01-2012 05:42 PM

Originally Posted by AzFittin (Post 11162174)
Here is how we are running it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nYwaS3vI3R8

The addition of the jumps (just some 2x4s with boards attached) adds some real fun and are very easily removed for the next class.

We have added the same type of jump in Dayton also. I think we have five jumps on the track with one of the on the long straight. Make it a nice speed jump, if your truck jumps well you can hit it wide open.

Huggy Bear 09-01-2012 05:56 PM

To me it would make more sense to race rally cars with road tires than short course trucks.

AzFittin 09-02-2012 11:36 AM

Originally Posted by Huggy Bear (Post 11162249)
To me it would make more sense to race rally cars with road tires than short course trucks.

I would agree except that the road course was the only track in my town until our dirt track officially opens next weekend. For me having a SC meant that I had to adapt it to road if I wanted to race in a club type event.

jpk4ud 09-02-2012 12:01 PM

Believe it or not you can get the SCT's to handle pretty well on-road. If you like close racing with a little rubbing they are really fun. There isn't as much to work on as far as set up goes so it is easy to keep them running well.

With as many people who have SCT when we have larger races we have A and B mains. A lot of off road guys come in during the larger races and have a ball. It is easy to make the changes from off to on road.

The stock Slash class is a cheap and easy way to get new people into RC racing. If they like it they tend to get into the other classes as well. But most keep their trucks to race with their new TC's!

Huggy Bear 09-02-2012 01:47 PM

I know you can get SCT's to handle well on the road because I can adjust my Blitz to handle amazing for on road bashing and speed runs.

chris moore 09-02-2012 02:00 PM

Kind of depends on the area you race in, here off-road is king currently so it just makes sense as most racers have a SC to run those rather than try and get racers to spend $'s on a new ride. IF you have a thriving on-road community then the rally cars could be a better option.