Community
Wiki Posts
Search

ROAR Election

Search this Thread

Old 08-29-2012, 08:28 AM
Tech Legend

Can someone please tell me
who are the candidates for Roar president this year ?
Old 08-30-2012, 09:54 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

After reading much that has been said I'll put my 2 cents worth in. ROAR has been going down hill for many years. Region directors have been treated like a red headed stepchild. If they went against the president they were really in trouble. I've been there and done that (Region 4). Qualifying for a national at the regional will not work with on-road. Until the economy improves the hobby is in decline except in a few classes. Local races that used to hae 50-60 racers on Friday night have gone to zero. Now it's once a month and maybe 5-10 racers (oval). Road course there is only one racer (Me) that travels around the state to race.
ROAR regional directors good luck and President that can't event update the rule book on the computer- patheic! The rule book in priinted form was discontinued because it was to expensive and was to be updated and just published on the the website?
ROAR and racing in general is not what it was and it won't be for a while. And waiting on ROAR to do something- when pigs fly.
Old 08-30-2012, 11:10 AM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Well, yet another post bashing ROAR, to be added to the thousands of other posts bashing ROAR over the last ten years. Not exactly helpful.

Just curious how is ROAR to blame for the low turnout at any one particular track? It's not up to ROAR to run each track, that's the job of the owner or club.

Pointing out what's wrong is easy. What solutions do you suggest to improve things?

BTW I applaude your efforts as a regional director to at least try and change things.
Old 08-30-2012, 11:14 AM
Tech Lord

I put this in a separate post to make people think about this. As I was writing the last post I thought of something and I wonder how everyone else feels. Please give this some thought before answering. The first question we should ask ourselves is:

Should there even be a ROAR?
Old 08-30-2012, 11:54 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)

ROAR is needed in the eyes of many RACERS. Personally I have had my issues at ROAR events over the years. However a body is needed to run regional races, national races, and represent us to IFMAR for those who appreciate competing at the highest level for a world championship. In my opinion it is easier to fix what we have than reinvent a governing body. The RMT has made the execution of Nationals much better in recent years and a step in the right direction.
Old 08-30-2012, 12:58 PM
Tech Lord

Originally Posted by DustinR
ROAR is needed in the eyes of many RACERS.
Yes but what about most racers? Unless you have a majority of racers that want ROAR it will never be successful.
Old 08-30-2012, 01:06 PM
Tech Champion

If telling the truth from experience of 12 years as a region director, then I'm guilty.What I said is exactly how they treat regional directors! You can ask the present one . It was not always that way- just in the last 10 years.
And when I went to the races -Locally I got asked many questions about ROAR.Most had nothing to do with ROAR but the local members thought so.
Remember Rev-up that you don't get anymore. the region directors were required to write an article to get paid a $1.00 per ROAR member in your region.that's why you did not see articles from some regions. What does a region director do now- basically nothing but get pot shots taken at them for inforcing the rules.
Why can't the rule book -which everyone uses get updated???
I forgot my real #7540.
Old 08-30-2012, 01:39 PM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by jiml
I put this in a separate post to make people think about this. As I was writing the last post I thought of something and I wonder how everyone else feels. Please give this some thought before answering. The first question we should ask ourselves is:

Should there even be a ROAR?
I have wondered this myself. With the R/C racing community being a small entinty why isn't there an orginazition that governs ALL R/C racers world wide? It would centeralize the rules for the world. Everyone would be running under the same rules world wide no matter what class, either electric or gas or where you raced at. It sounds like a major undertaking but it could be done as there are already good solid rules in the different associations, they just need to be brought together and made universal for all.
Old 08-30-2012, 02:12 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

IMO, we absolutely must have a sanctioning body to set some standards that would otherwise be far too complicated to regulate otherwise. Imagine how difficult it would be to professionally and fairly regulate a race if there were no standards already set forth? The organizers would be stuck dealing with so many regulatory issues it would quickly get out of control. Each individual race would have the responsibility of maintaining and policing their own set of fair and reasonable standards. Now organizers have to basically write their own book of yay's & nay's for allowable products along with actually running the show. Are you kidding?.?. Or... you simply state "ROAR rules". Done. If I were in a position to hold a large event you can bet I would support ROAR rules all day long because there ain't no way I'm going to tackle the issues that abandoning that groundwork would bring to light, no matter how much experience and help I have around me.

I'm sure things could be a lot better, but what doesn't need a little reworking every once in a while. As they say... cheaper to keep 'er.
Old 08-30-2012, 03:14 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

Originally Posted by jiml
Yes but what about most racers? Unless you have a majority of racers that want ROAR it will never be successful.
If the question is does there need to a specific ROAR.....no. Does there need to be a governing body that sets global rules for races. YES!!! As for right now Roar is doing the job of setting the standard accross the country. I personally enjoy the fact that at a Roar race if I were to be hurt or something were to happen My local club and myself is going to be covered due to the insurances that Roar has as well.

Ron--I checked my email, including my spam filter and had no response from you on the V3. I apologize I then must have emailed someone else regarding the voltage in Roar.

I just got back into racing so I am relying on my local club where I heard 5 different responses, my local Roar chapter member who worked hard to find out the answers but was unsure. I didn't have an answer to all my questions until a week and half before the race. Now Ron if you want to say that Scott hadn't given you a call and proposed any of these said questions so be it. All I know is I didn't have a definitive spot to find my answers. I didn't think to friend ROAR on Facebook to find the answers. The rules haven't changed that much what would it take a good 8 hours at most to update the rules of straight labor using a pdf and post it on the website. But when guys are gettnig sent back into the pits cause the voltage is off or there aren't any rules saying that if my stator is below xx.xx i fail what am I supposed to do not ask if I haven't done this before. I mean the last time I was at a Roar Nationals was 1998. I was what 14 years old.

I'm not saying end ROAR. I'm just saying its time to update and start asking the racers what will bring them back in.
Old 08-31-2012, 07:48 AM
Tech Lord

Originally Posted by BullFrog
If telling the truth from experience of 12 years as a region director, then I'm guilty.What I said is exactly how they treat regional directors! You can ask the present one . It was not always that way- just in the last 10 years.
And when I went to the races -Locally I got asked many questions about ROAR.Most had nothing to do with ROAR but the local members thought so.
Remember Rev-up that you don't get anymore. the region directors were required to write an article to get paid a $1.00 per ROAR member in your region.that's why you did not see articles from some regions. What does a region director do now- basically nothing but get pot shots taken at them for inforcing the rules.
Why can't the rule book -which everyone uses get updated???
I forgot my real #7540.
I was a regional director for 3 years and was never treated poorly. In fact I had a good repoire with Ms. Sanchez. At that time ROAR paid $100 bi-monthly to RD's but you had to submit a report each month to get it. Even with that most RD's didn't submit anything. They stopped because it wasn't working.

Yes I remember Rev-Up, but it's too expensive to produce something like that now. Even the regular mags are going to on line versions. Same is true of the rule book, although the on line version needs to be updated regularly. Perhaps Mr. Pond would like to respond.

I think we can all agree that there needs to be a ROAR, and we should stick with ROAR and not start from scratch. However before we can deal with all the problems ROAR has, there is one major problem we must solve first. And that problem is the absolute lack of support for ROAR by the racers. Look, you don't have to like the people who are in ROAR, but you have to support the organization itself. I think the main reason for all of the problems that have been pointed out is that there aren't enough people in ROAR to do these things, or do them properly. And people don't stay in ROAR because of the abuse they take. If we can just get the cooperation of half the racers out there we can start working on the other things to make RC racing better.
Old 08-31-2012, 08:30 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

[QUOTE=jiml;11157665
I think we can all agree that there needs to be a ROAR, and we should stick with ROAR and not start from scratch. However before we can deal with all the problems ROAR has, there is one major problem we must solve first. And that problem is the absolute lack of support for ROAR by the racers. Look, you don't have to like the people who are in ROAR, but you have to support the organization itself. I think the main reason for all of the problems that have been pointed out is that there aren't enough people in ROAR to do these things, or do them properly. And people don't stay in ROAR because of the abuse they take. If we can just get the cooperation of half the racers out there we can start working on the other things to make RC racing better.[/QUOTE]

Awesome I fully agree. But if Roar wants to succeed your going to need a Roar who is willing to respond within 24-48 hours to all racers. Racers make your organization. Treat them accordingly. Update an online book. No we don't need trees killed for an updated book we all have smart phones these days it seems and we have printers but proper access would be nice. To me it seems as though unless its in a certain area of the country or its off-road they don't pay as much attention. I paid for my membership just like everyone else. Hell if you want send me the copy of the PDF and I will update the book with the rule changes if someone gives them to me. I'm not trying to shoot anything down. I would rather help and keep it going but it seems as though they are cutting down costs at the cost of the members.

Simply put someone needs to get paid for running ROAR and makes sure that it is their full time job and keeps it going smoothly.
Old 08-31-2012, 09:08 AM
Tech Champion

Dawn is one of the reasons I retired as region director and I''ll leave it at that. Racers have never wanted to pay $25.00 for membership ever since I started racing. They never seem to see what ROAR does for them. Nowadays you have many non-roar events that use ROAR rules and there own for there events.Take Scotty E, Mike Boylan both do a great job with their events without ROAR.
As for the one set of rule books for the world. The other organizations have never come to terms with there rules.
With all the money ROAR spends on RMT to travel can't they at least update the rule book?????? I also have a problem with the RMT is it really needed at every National. Some people know how to hold and run a race. At least here in Florida when have held races for club races-regionals, series, nationals and Worlds. Do we really need a RMT when these people can run the races?Use the saving on updating the rulebook.
Old 08-31-2012, 09:13 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 44 (100%+)

Originally Posted by NolanP
Simply put someone needs to get paid for running ROAR and makes sure that it is their full time job and keeps it going smoothly.
They do... see: Link It is the administrator role
Old 08-31-2012, 09:49 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 44 (100%+)

Oh I'm going to say it...

One of the biggest problems with ROAR is they feel the need to cater to the manufacture and not the membership. With all the "gift baskets" that exchange hands they act like this is Washington DC and this "I'm going to get mine." attitude. It needs to stop. The manufacture will adapt if they want to eat.

The ONLY 2 measuring sticks that matters: the number of entries and the number of membership, if they are going down, then What you are doing is WRONG. Don't give "economy" as a reason, that is BS. If the racers do not perceive a value they will not attend.

Example. 2 weeks before the on-road nationals we had a Sunday race, we had around 130 entries for a Sunday race. entry fee 20.00, Quantifiers 3 and mains. IN ONE DAY.

Now to the Nationals, entry fee 85.00, Qualifiers: 4 and mains. over 4 days. For the 85.00 I got nothing different, well other then tech. We got around 93 entries. Plus the added expense of hotel, food, travel and headache with the ridiculous amount of tech. Oh, yes, part of my 85.00 entry fee goes to pay for the RMT travel. So you can guess what I perceive as a better value for my dollars.

Look the membership has as much room for improvement as ROAR.

Someone needs to be an adult step up and make changes (even in the face of the crying membership and manufactures) and try something. Get feedback after trying the change and make adjustments. If ROAR is going to talk it out until most are happy, nothing will change because we will NEVER get to that point. Make changes, Measure the improvement (or lack of) adjust and repeat.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.