R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Like Tree5Likes

Old 07-09-2014, 04:08 AM   #451
Tech Adept

Quote:
Originally Posted by myndesye View Post
Yes, these are the $$ if you want to play with Serpent. That's is why I named it the Million $ Car in my collection = "Euro PIT!!
Inferno GT2 VE Sweep PL1 Hobbywing XERUN w/2200KV - 4S. VE Audi R8 LMS Tekin RX8 Gen2 w/2650KV - 4S. AE TC6.1 SP Audi TC Tekin RS Gen2 w/8.5. TT-01E Audi R8 Hobby Wing 21.5T. TT-02 NSX-GT Hobby Wing 13.5T. DF-01 Porsche Cayenne 23T B.
MAJ'S HOBBY SHOP " 214 State st Suite 209 Hackensack, NJ 07601:201-820-1347
Racing: FRIDAY Mini Z Indoor/SATURDAY 1/8 & 1/10 VE Outdoor.
machgo5go is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2014, 10:07 AM   #452
Tech Apprentice

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

i was talking about the fact that they are over half off right now..... is this a legitimate retailer?
myndesye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2014, 11:52 AM   #453
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Don't know looks like they are skimming A mains customers with that name research it if it says it's in hk or has been up less than 6 months I'd be wary.
Slash 4x4, Axial Deadbolt
scooby61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2014, 05:22 PM   #454
Tech Adept

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stealth_RT View Post
Most people use the buggy 10 deg caster blocks, to help keep the tires flatter during cornering. The 0 deg steering arms should give you more on power steering. I've also found, but not yet tested, that if you flip the front-front hinge pin block upside down, it takes some kickup out of the front arms, which should also help keep the tires flatter during cornering. Eventually, hopefully soon, we should see 0 deg caster blocks from Serpent.
There are so many adjustments to play with, to tune out things like on power push. Also, and it may just be how your picture was taken, it looks like you have a lot of toe out in the front. That will give you a lot of turn-in, but cost you steering coming out of the turns. Try less front toe out, get the 10 deg. buggy caster blocks, and the 0 deg. aluminum steering arms.

It is debut on FB on 0 deg. hubs. My question is why so drastic change from stock 12 degree to 0 instead of making something in between like 6 degree since other competitor cars are around that no.?
Inferno GT2 VE Sweep PL1 Hobbywing XERUN w/2200KV - 4S. VE Audi R8 LMS Tekin RX8 Gen2 w/2650KV - 4S. AE TC6.1 SP Audi TC Tekin RS Gen2 w/8.5. TT-01E Audi R8 Hobby Wing 21.5T. TT-02 NSX-GT Hobby Wing 13.5T. DF-01 Porsche Cayenne 23T B.
Old 07-10-2014, 06:54 PM   #455
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by machgo5go View Post
Yes, these are the $$ if you want to play with Serpent. That's is why I named it the Million $ Car in my collection = "Euro PIT!!
That's not such a bad price for those caster blocks...
Old 07-13-2014, 06:31 PM   #456
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)

I figure this car would pretty easy to 'convert' to a buggy because of its inherent layout. Driveshafts, arms, links, center diff, bumpers, hardware, etc. Other than those few things, it's pretty much the same, correct? Are the differentials the same as well? I only mention this because this and the GTv2e are fairly competent GT8 cars, but the gt-e is basically a slightly different 811 b-e. The serpent is easily $130-180 more than the gtv2e, but you get carbon fiber decks and whatnot.

Though I'm waiting to see the e-truggy from serpent and possibly Losi, it would be cool to have the 1/8 onroad and e-truggy share some parts and overall layout design. I realize the parts support is pretty much online only for Serpent, Tekno, etc which isn't a big deal for me. I'd prefer not to have to buy a lot of parts, or lots of different parts. Still reading up on the durability of Serpent vs Tekno vs Durango.

Last edited by RepEvox; 07-13-2014 at 06:46 PM.
RepEvox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2014, 06:59 PM   #457
Tech Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by RepEvox View Post
I figure this car would pretty easy to 'convert' to a buggy because of its inherent layout. Driveshafts, arms, links, center diff, bumpers, hardware, etc. Other than those few things, it's pretty much the same, correct? Are the differentials the same as well? I only mention this because this and the GTv2e are fairly competent GT8 cars, but the gt-e is basically a slightly different 811 b-e. The serpent is easily $130-180 more than the gtv2e, but you get carbon fiber decks and whatnot.

Though I'm waiting to see the e-truggy from serpent and possibly Losi, it would be cool to have the 1/8 onroad and e-truggy share some parts and overall layout design. I realize the parts support is pretty much online only for Serpent, Tekno, etc which isn't a big deal for me. I'd prefer not to have to buy a lot of parts, or lots of different parts. Still reading up on the durability of Serpent vs Tekno vs Durango.
I'm in the middle of my second season with the cobra gt e and I sold my gtv2e mostly because of lack of parts support and durability I've crashed the serpent hard more times than I can count and have never broken anything all the links and diffs are still slop free and smooth it's very sturdy
Old 07-14-2014, 06:40 AM   #458
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

I've had great luck with mine as well racing it most every week last summer and a few times this year. I bought a bunch of extra parts and the only thing I've done is bent a drive shaft and stripped out the plastic in the servo horn.

Depending how many parts you really need to change vs the true differences to convert to get it to a buggy it can be expensive. Like cheaper to buy a new one expensive vs convert. But it does share a lot of parts. I have not looked at the options since they came out with the V2 & V3 buggies though.
D.a.v.e is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2014, 06:52 AM   #459
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

Wow its almost $100 map for those new caster blocks.. That might be a hard one for me to pull the trigger on? Too bad they did not do them in the composite material like the 10 degree ones.
D.a.v.e is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2014, 06:31 PM   #460
Tech Master

Quote:

It is debut on FB on 0 deg. hubs. My question is why so drastic change from stock 12 degree to 0 instead of making something in between like 6 degree since other competitor cars are around that no.?
Keep in mind that the stock kickup on the Cobra is like 10 deg. So even with 0 deg. caster blocks, you'll still have 10 deg total caster. Plus or minus what you do with the front inner hinge pin inserts.
Serpent S411 Eryx 4.0 USGT
Team Serpent America and Desoto Racing
Stealth_RT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2014, 07:08 PM   #461
Tech Adept

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stealth_RT View Post
Keep in mind that the stock kickup on the Cobra is like 10 deg. So even with 0 deg. caster blocks, you'll still have 10 deg total caster. Plus or minus what you do with the front inner hinge pin inserts.
Well after spending $$$ on this chassis, I am kind of giving up on it's steering characteristic. It just seem to have that understeer in off power into the corner that I can not get rid of. Other racer told me Serpent design slight brake in order to get tight turn to get on power steering which is hard for me to adapter from Kyosho's Inferno GT2 VE which out of the box gets lots of off power steering into a turn which I am use to.
Old 07-16-2014, 08:25 PM   #462
Tech Regular

Quote:
Well after spending $$$ on this chassis, I am kind of giving up on it's steering characteristic. It just seem to have that understeer in off power into the corner that I can not get rid of. Other racer told me Serpent design slight brake in order to get tight turn to get on power steering which is hard for me to adapter from Kyosho's Inferno GT2 VE which out of the box gets lots of off power steering into a turn which I am use to.
I had similar issues with turn in and was getting frustrated then I copied most of Andy Liu s setup for the nitro and bam car dialed in pretty sweet. I do have the 10 degree c hubs and 0 degree steering knuckles and I used 1000 cat shock oil white springs on the front and red on the rear. Try that might be what your looking for.
Old 07-25-2014, 10:04 AM   #463
Tech Master

Got my aluminum 0 deg caster blocks in today! Already got them installed on the car, but haven't raced it yet. On the bench, I can already see that the tires stay WAY flatter when at full steering lock than they ever did with the 10 deg caster blocks. Still using the 0 deg steering knuckles, not sure if they are absolutely necessary now. I think they will be more of a tuning option than a requirement. Can't wait to race it!

Also, I changed over my rear suspension to the 2.0 style. Racer at the same track bought the RTR Cobra GT-e, and it comes with the complete 2.0 style rear suspension, instead of the kit 1.0 style. Asked Chicky about this and he said Serpent was changing over to the 2.0 sytle on the GT cars. Makes sense from an inventory standpoint for serpent. All of the offroad buggies use the 2.0 style, so why keep making and stocking the old 1.0 style for the smaller number of GT cars they sell. And hey, more rear grip is always a good thing, especially now with the 0 deg caster blocks available. Getting enough steering should not be a problem. I didn't buy the full 2.0 conversion kit, I already had the 2.0 rear arms and 98mm dogbones from my offroad escale. Swapped in those parts, swapped the stock 1.0 rear hubs from left to right, and used -1mm hexes that I already had. Flipped the sway bar and camber links between front and rear of the shock tower, and reset droop, camber, and ride height. Stoked about running it this Sunday to see how much faster it is.
Serpent S411 Eryx 4.0 USGT
Team Serpent America and Desoto Racing
Stealth_RT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2014, 10:57 PM   #464
Tech Champion

R/C Tech Elite Subscriber

Trader Rating: 302 (100%+)

I just picked up the RTR GT-E (painted lid was what called it for me) and I can't believe how cheaped out it is, luckily I have most of the upgrades from my Buggys but rear dog bones? Centre dog bones? And the screws are shocking, have stripped the two under the diff mount already, they're as soft as butter!

Don't worry about what I'm doing.
Worry about why you're worried about what I'm doing.

"Ego is the anesthesia that deadens the pain of stupidity."

nexxus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2014, 09:13 AM   #465
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)

I will never buy an RTR ever again, unless it happens to be RTR from the seller when I buy the kit version used. Besides, the differences between the RTR and kit seem to be biggest factor for me (carbon fibers plates, buggy/truggy high quality parts). I wish I could find a used GTE kit, but I havent had much luck so far.
RepEvox is offline   Reply With Quote