R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Like Tree4Likes
Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 04-17-2014, 07:42 AM   #391
Tech Initiate
 
MarcEnMilo's Avatar
R/C Tech Elite Subscriber
 
Join Date: Mar 2014
Location: The Netherlands
Posts: 37
Default

Which servo do you guys use? I have a spare Futaba S9352HV ( high voltage ) lying around. I guess that would be ok right? Or are there better options?
For instance this one ( quite expensive though ) : http://sanwa-denshi.com/rc/car/servo/digtal_erg-wx.html




Thinking about going for a MGM controller with a Lehner motor by the way. Once I finish the car I will check out if 8s will even be possible ;-)

Last edited by MarcEnMilo; 04-17-2014 at 08:04 AM. Reason: Link added
MarcEnMilo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2014, 06:48 PM   #392
Tech Master
 
BardSmith's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: St. Michael, MN
Posts: 1,145
Trader Rating: 59 (98%+)
Default GT-E for sale

Hey guys, I have a Cobra GT-E that I'm thinking of selling. I thought I'd check you guys out on this thread before I list it on the 'for sale' thread.

It has a Viper VTX8 ESC, a Spektrum S6040 servo, and a Thunder Power 2100kv motor. I can sell that roller only or with all or some of the electronics. Anyone game?
__________________
"Bard"

On-Road Only!
BardSmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2014, 07:21 PM   #393
Tech Regular
 
scooby61's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2013
Location: Manassas Virginia
Posts: 340
Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Default

Installed the 10 degree c hubs and 0 degree steering knuckles but when I check the description on the knuckles the little black plastic rings are listed as shims for the bearings but I could not fit them if the bearings fit snugly do I need them?
__________________
Losi 5T (awesome)
Serpent cobra GTe, Serpent s411 eryx 2.0,
AE tc6.1, Losi 8Te 2.0, Losi 22b, AE t4,
Slash 4x4, Axial Deadbolt
scooby61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2014, 03:14 PM   #394
Tech Master
 
BardSmith's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: St. Michael, MN
Posts: 1,145
Trader Rating: 59 (98%+)
Default Roller & Body for sale

Hey guys, I've listed it for sale, here you are...

GT8-e for sale

Thanks for looking.
__________________
"Bard"

On-Road Only!
BardSmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2014, 06:19 AM   #395
Tech Regular
 
D.a.v.e's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: South East, Michigan
Posts: 466
Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by scooby61 View Post
Installed the 10 degree c hubs and 0 degree steering knuckles but when I check the description on the knuckles the little black plastic rings are listed as shims for the bearings but I could not fit them if the bearings fit snugly do I need them?
Nope.. Just put a little grease on the outside of them so they come out after the have been heated up a few times.
D.a.v.e is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2014, 06:40 AM   #396
Tech Regular
 
scooby61's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2013
Location: Manassas Virginia
Posts: 340
Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by D.a.v.e View Post
Nope.. Just put a little grease on the outside of them so they come out after the have been heated up a few times.
Thanks
__________________
Losi 5T (awesome)
Serpent cobra GTe, Serpent s411 eryx 2.0,
AE tc6.1, Losi 8Te 2.0, Losi 22b, AE t4,
Slash 4x4, Axial Deadbolt
scooby61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2014, 08:12 AM   #397
Tech Addict
 
ViperZ's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: Saskatoon, SK. Canada
Posts: 625
Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)
Default

Can somebody tell me the major differences between the Kit (~$570) which is just a roller with out wheels, and the RTR (~$550).

About the only major things I see is the carbon fiber shock towers and other carbon bits. Are there other things that make the kits significantly more expensive than the RTR.

Considering a prepainted body, wheels and electronics alone in the RTR, that would make the Kit more than $200 more than if a person could buy the RTR in the same bare bones as the kit.

It almost seems the the RTR is a better buy for a basher like me.
__________________
*
Who races a Mazda Sedan...? Honestly...? :D
ViperZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2014, 08:51 AM   #398
Tech Regular
 
scooby61's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2013
Location: Manassas Virginia
Posts: 340
Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ViperZ View Post
Can somebody tell me the major differences between the Kit (~$570) which is just a roller with out wheels, and the RTR (~$550).

About the only major things I see is the carbon fiber shock towers and other carbon bits. Are there other things that make the kits significantly more expensive than the RTR.

Considering a prepainted body, wheels and electronics alone in the RTR, that would make the Kit more than $200 more than if a person could buy the RTR in the same bare bones as the kit.

It almost seems the the RTR is a better buy for a basher like me.
Having gone the Rtr route before I will tell you that of the 9 vehicles I own only one is still an Rtr that's my slash 4x4, while I haven't personally seen the 811 Rtr and being a serpent it's probably a cut Above most others I'll bet there are a lot more differences than just the carbon bits. Probably different metallurgy in the drive shafts and axles etc.. the electronics in the Rtr have a decent rep and if your just bashing probably OK for a while. I have raced my kit hard and had some pretty nasty collisions and have yet to break anything. For reliability and quality I would go kit if you ever do want to race it the cost of upgrading the Rtr to a competitive reliable state usually is far more expensive than building the kit imo. I only build kits now for these reasons and I enjoy the building process. Not saying this is a bad Rtr just my 2 cents.
__________________
Losi 5T (awesome)
Serpent cobra GTe, Serpent s411 eryx 2.0,
AE tc6.1, Losi 8Te 2.0, Losi 22b, AE t4,
Slash 4x4, Axial Deadbolt
scooby61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2014, 10:14 AM   #399
Tech Addict
 
ViperZ's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: Saskatoon, SK. Canada
Posts: 625
Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by scooby61 View Post
Having gone the Rtr route before I will tell you that of the 9 vehicles I own only one is still an Rtr that's my slash 4x4, while I haven't personally seen the 811 Rtr and being a serpent it's probably a cut Above most others I'll bet there are a lot more differences than just the carbon bits. Probably different metallurgy in the drive shafts and axles etc.. the electronics in the Rtr have a decent rep and if your just bashing probably OK for a while. I have raced my kit hard and had some pretty nasty collisions and have yet to break anything. For reliability and quality I would go kit if you ever do want to race it the cost of upgrading the Rtr to a competitive reliable state usually is far more expensive than building the kit imo. I only build kits now for these reasons and I enjoy the building process. Not saying this is a bad Rtr just my 2 cents.
Yes, I generally like Kits over RTR, however I'm just trying to understand if the kit is that much more car over the RTR to a basher, who most likely will never race it as we just don't have the interest here.

Really, I'm just looking for something to hang a body on and take out from time to time to run around. I have many other over powered RC's in cars and Airplanes should I feel the real need for speed.

I'm all for the kit, but just want to know the real differences from the RTR...

My heart is thinking kit, but my brain says RTR, or even an Ofna DM1-E for hanging a body on and fooling around with.
__________________
*
Who races a Mazda Sedan...? Honestly...? :D
ViperZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2014, 10:27 AM   #400
Tech Regular
 
scooby61's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2013
Location: Manassas Virginia
Posts: 340
Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ViperZ View Post
Yes, I generally like Kits over RTR, however I'm just trying to understand if the kit is that much more car over the RTR to a basher, who most likely will never race it as we just don't have the interest here.

Really, I'm just looking for something to hang a body on and take out from time to time to run around. I have many other over powered RC's in cars and Airplanes should I feel the real need for speed.

I'm all for the kit, but just want to know the real differences from the RTR...

My heart is thinking kit, but my brain says RTR, or even an Ofna DM1-E for hanging a body on and fooling around with.
I had a gtv2e ofna rtr for less than 300 bucks it was a really fun basher I gotta say the serpent looks really nice for an rtr but for a beater car seems a bit pricey considering the alternatives
__________________
Losi 5T (awesome)
Serpent cobra GTe, Serpent s411 eryx 2.0,
AE tc6.1, Losi 8Te 2.0, Losi 22b, AE t4,
Slash 4x4, Axial Deadbolt
scooby61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2014, 12:20 PM   #401
Tech Addict
 
ViperZ's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: Saskatoon, SK. Canada
Posts: 625
Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by scooby61 View Post
I had a gtv2e ofna rtr for less than 300 bucks it was a really fun basher I gotta say the serpent looks really nice for an rtr but for a beater car seems a bit pricey considering the alternatives
Thanks for the discussions! I really would prefer a GTv2 or Kyosho Inferno, just for the more scale looks, But the unfortunate thing is I have a collection of Ofna X3 Bodies, DP8's and Protoform PF8's I want build a chassis to hang a body or 2 on, so this would mean sticking in the 325mm wheel base camp.

I have a Traxxas Rally that I have converted over to a GT8-Lite, running a CC 2650kv/Mamba Monster 2 on 4s with a DP8 body & Sweep P1L fitted. I also have a XO-1, and was just looking to add another road car to the stable like the Cobra or DM-1

I really like the pure race car design of the Cobra, however you are right, It may not be as good a basher as some of the lower cost alternatives. I'm not afraid of cost, but does it make sense for this application. I was wanting to use a Tekin RX8/2650kv power system with the next road car.
__________________
*
Who races a Mazda Sedan...? Honestly...? :D
ViperZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2014, 08:22 AM   #402
Tech Regular
 
D.a.v.e's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: South East, Michigan
Posts: 466
Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)
Default

Looking at it I think your right, instead of the spring steel stuff they substituted it for something else, the shocks are a different material, and then all the carbon bits are replaced with plastic or lower grade alumn.

I would think for a basher this might be a better car.. parts might be cheaper! I would guess it might not be designed to be run for 2-3 seasons of parts wear on a race track where everything is pushed to the limit but is probably just the car your looking for.
D.a.v.e is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2014, 12:48 PM   #403
Tech Adept
 
machgo5go's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Posts: 117
Default

Gentlemen, is there such Carbon Chassis replacement upgrade for this GT-E?
I google around and no such luck if even exist.
__________________
Inferno GT2 VE Sweep PL1 Hobbywing XERUN w/2200KV - 4S. VE Audi R8 LMS Tekin RX8 Gen2 w/2650KV - 4S. AE TC6.1 SP Audi TC Tekin RS Gen2 w/8.5. TT-01E Audi R8 Hobby Wing 21.5T. TT-02 NSX-GT Hobby Wing 13.5T. DF-01 Porsche Cayenne 23T B.
MAJ'S HOBBY SHOP " 214 State st Suite 209 Hackensack, NJ 07601:201-820-1347
Racing: FRIDAY Mini Z Indoor/SATURDAY 1/8 & 1/10 VE Outdoor.
machgo5go is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2014, 03:46 PM   #404
Tech Addict
 
ViperZ's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: Saskatoon, SK. Canada
Posts: 625
Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by D.a.v.e View Post
Looking at it I think your right, instead of the spring steel stuff they substituted it for something else, the shocks are a different material, and then all the carbon bits are replaced with plastic or lower grade alumn.

I would think for a basher this might be a better car.. parts might be cheaper! I would guess it might not be designed to be run for 2-3 seasons of parts wear on a race track where everything is pushed to the limit but is probably just the car your looking for.

Sounds like a solid argument

Quote:
Originally Posted by machgo5go View Post
Gentlemen, is there such Carbon Chassis replacement upgrade for this GT-E?
I google around and no such luck if even exist.
Talk about sweet if there was!
__________________
*
Who races a Mazda Sedan...? Honestly...? :D
ViperZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2014, 09:29 PM   #405
Tech Adept
 
machgo5go's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Posts: 117
Questions??

Quote:
Originally Posted by Voltron989 View Post
We run on a large 1/8 track, one of the largest in the country. It is probably similar in size to the Homestead track in Miami.
I run 46/21 gearing in my Cobra GTE with a Tekin 2650 with 2 x 2s 7200mah 80c Trakpowers. We have a long back straight roughly 220' so 55-60mph is the ideal speed to gear for to be competitive. After 2 or 3 slow practice laps and a 7 minute race when I pull my car off the track my batteries are at 3.7 - 3.8 per cell. Technically if you connected a lipo voltage checker to the batteries it would say there is 40-50 percent power remaining but really there isn't much run time left to keep racing and still keep the lipos at a safe cut off voltage.

Just to be clear these are figures for the fastest cars on our track which seems to be consistent with 4s 7200mah lasting to about 3.7-3.8 per cell.
slower cars on the track would use much less power for the same race
Question: Would one side +/- battery leads will clear tide down bracket on battery tray??
Attached Thumbnails
Serpent Cobra GT-E-ltkpc0465.jpg  
__________________
Inferno GT2 VE Sweep PL1 Hobbywing XERUN w/2200KV - 4S. VE Audi R8 LMS Tekin RX8 Gen2 w/2650KV - 4S. AE TC6.1 SP Audi TC Tekin RS Gen2 w/8.5. TT-01E Audi R8 Hobby Wing 21.5T. TT-02 NSX-GT Hobby Wing 13.5T. DF-01 Porsche Cayenne 23T B.
MAJ'S HOBBY SHOP " 214 State st Suite 209 Hackensack, NJ 07601:201-820-1347
Racing: FRIDAY Mini Z Indoor/SATURDAY 1/8 & 1/10 VE Outdoor.
machgo5go is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Serpent Cobra GT John. Nitro On-Road 2244 05-20-2017 11:02 AM
GT class--buggy-based on road! duneland Nitro On-Road 9643 11-16-2016 03:11 AM
What's the gt car to buy???? 1966ss Nitro On-Road 26 06-04-2012 10:34 AM



Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT -7. It is currently 10:39 AM.


Powered By: vBulletin v3.9.2.1
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Advertise Content © 2001-2011 RCTech.net