take off tires

Search this Thread

Old 03-08-2005, 03:42 AM
Tech Regular

Default take off tires

anybody have any info on tne new tires?
Old 03-08-2005, 09:46 AM
Tech Master

The tyre situation has gone bananas recently.

Take off were handled by Powers for many years. Take off and Powers fell out. Powers are now producing their own tyres. I'm waiting for some to evaluate.

I have tried RP - I don't know where they fit in the picture, some say they are the new Take Off. Whatever they are I have not found them to be a patch on Take Offs.

Perhaps someone can confirm whether or not the RP is in fact the replacement for Take Off. If it is I am certainly not impressed.

Anyone want a few sets of RP for cheap.
Old 03-08-2005, 09:53 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

Originally posted by johnbull
The tyre situation has gone bananas recently.

Take off were handled by Powers for many years. Take off and Powers fell out. Powers are now producing their own tyres. I'm waiting for some to evaluate.

I have tried RP - I don't know where they fit in the picture, some say they are the new Take Off. Whatever they are I have not found them to be a patch on Take Offs.

Perhaps someone can confirm whether or not the RP is in fact the replacement for Take Off. If it is I am certainly not impressed.

Anyone want a few sets of RP for cheap.
Ship them to me if you got 36s and 24s with firm inserts.
Thanks,
Stephen <><
I believe yes the RP's are from TakeOff. I have tried them and they seem to have a better wear rate then the Takeoffs with the same handling. I rate them right under Sorex's if the inserts are right.
Old 03-08-2005, 02:03 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)
Default err.... who sad what to whom...?

WOW,
This is the first ive heard of this!
I dont suppose anyone knows any more?
Does this mean that Take offs will just have to find another distributor, or is it more than that?

For a tyre that up till now was used all over the world, that might create a ripple or 2.

still, it would prove interesting to see wat the POWERS tyre actualy is like, or because of how long they were conected, how close the 2 brands are to each oher!!!!
Old 03-08-2005, 02:26 PM
Tech Master

I think Johnbull has it about right, i was led to believe that the RP was the "new takeoff".
Old 03-08-2005, 02:42 PM
Tech Elite

Its not the new takeoff. Its another series made by take off. The CS-27 is still the same tire great for outdoors and some indoors and the RP is more of a carpet tire. . Its not a replacement for the cs-27 so dont worry guys.

Its like saying ( full scale cars ex) Bf goodrich sells the euro ta compound for street cars ( good handling but long wearing and standerd hieght tread) and another series called R-1 series for road racing ( shaved and agrresive coumpound).

Hope this helps.

If you have questions call schumacher USA they will explain it for you
Old 03-08-2005, 03:05 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Isn't the Take off made in Europe and the RP made in Asia?
Old 03-08-2005, 03:43 PM
Tech Fanatic

Default Re: err.... who sad what to whom...?

Originally posted by Bluey_74
WOW,
This is the first ive heard of this!
I dont suppose anyone knows any more?
Does this mean that Take offs will just have to find another distributor, or is it more than that?

For a tyre that up till now was used all over the world, that might create a ripple or 2.

still, it would prove interesting to see wat the POWERS tyre actualy is like, or because of how long they were conected, how close the 2 brands are to each oher!!!!
"World" is relative. For some, they consider whatever they have seen to be "the World" as opposed to everything else they have not seen.

In asia, at least my part of the world, its Sorex all over.
Old 03-08-2005, 03:49 PM
Mal

One thing to watch out for with the RPs. They're using the crappy rims again, the ones that break. Remember when the centers of the CS prebuilts use to break out?

I haven't personally used them but I have seen at least 5 other people break this rim.
Old 03-08-2005, 07:11 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)

Yeh, I've seen that too!
Old 03-08-2005, 09:09 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)
Default Entropy

Fair call, but it was based on the fact that there have been world and national class events all over the world that have used these tyres. No doubt some have used other brands as well, (sorex is probably the other major one i can think of)
You Got pm as well!!
Old 03-09-2005, 12:22 AM
Tech Master

Naturally I can only speak from my team's experience, on our local track.

Best grip - shortest life - Sorex 24 or 28. Brilliant if you can afford a new set each run.

Take Off 22. Not so good in terms of ultimate one lap times but excellent over a race duration. Will get 3 five minute races in mod with a set of 22s without too much deterioration towards the end.

Take off 27. Lasts a lifetime but not enough grip so no good for racing.

RP 24. Lap times about the same as Take Off 27. Don't know about life as I only tried 2 sets with different inserts over a couple of 5 minute sessions each. I tried them and my son did and we both felt the sameway about them - not a patch on Take Off 22.

Powers PJ22. I haven't tried them yet but I know top drivers who have, and they are raving about them, saying they have the grip of the Sorex and the life of the Take Off. Just one hint - you all know who Mr.Hara of Powers is working in collaboration with these days!!!!!

I will reserve my judgement until we have tried them ourselves.
Old 03-09-2005, 06:39 AM
Tech Adept

Where can we get the Powers PJ22 tires from?
Old 03-09-2005, 07:26 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)
Default Setting the record straight...

Yes, Power and Take Off have split. Take Off's new distribution company is ARK Distribution. All distributors that sold Take Off before the split have been contacted by ARK so that there will be no interruption in tire supply. This all happened last October and is completely settled by now.

Take Off was a big part of Powers sales so they worked very hard to develop a new series of tires to replace Take Off...the Powers Japan (PJ) tires. They are excellent and fit in the gap between Sorex and Take Off CS tires. They have the grip of a Sorex and durability close to a Take Off CS tire. The PJ tires are excellent on Carpet and Asphalt. The Powers tires are imported into the US by Schumacher USA. Powers tires are on order and will be in the US within the next 4 weeks.

The Take Off RP (Ring of Persons) tires are an evolution of the CS series. They are meant to go head to head with Sorex tires. Tire life was not a concern when designing the RP as racers that wanted tires that lasted longer could run the CS series tires. However, in testing the RP's last surprisingly long. They last 2 or three times as long as a set of Sorex tires. The RP tires are not designed to replace the CS series. They are a new development. The Take Off CS and RP tires are imported into the US by Schumacher USA. We have full stock of CS and RP tires right now.

The RP tires are not a special carpet tire like SpeedXL suggested. They are an all around tire like Sorex, PJ and CS tires. They work everywhere.

The Take Off CS series tires are currently the most popular tires in the US and Europe. There are no plans to stop or slow production of these tires.

Keep your eyes open the RP30GL is going to be the spec tire at a very big asphalt race coming up soon!

Last edited by AdrianM; 03-09-2005 at 07:33 AM.
Old 03-09-2005, 12:54 PM
Shop Owner

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Is there a website of Take Off?

Nick

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.