Originally Posted by Airwave
I am quite surprised that nobody is discussing the modification of the top deck fixation on the motor mount... It really seems the way to go as all the others manufacturers are modifying their actual ch‚ssis this way... Following Yokomo!
Has somebody more informations about how Andy fix the central axle and how many spacers he put under the top deck to avoid contact? It seems that there are 2mm spacers but I can't figure how we can secure the axle in two millimeters...
I converted my TCXX to match Andy's car as close as I could. I used 2.5mm spacers all around to lift the top deck. I had to make two separate pieces from graphite that would hold the spur gear shaft (central axle) in place. I used flat head screws to attach those pieces. The flat head screws were too tall so I ground them down to fit with some clearance to the top deck. I used the forward motor mount from the TCX and also used the forward motor mount from the TCXX (the one with the belt tensioner) in the remaining hole in front of that. I had to machine a post to fit from the forward TCXX motor mount to the top deck. Unfortunately there is no hole in the TCXX top deck that lines up with the new post. It does line up very close to the end of the notch in the top deck. I used a tapered washer (from a servo mount, I think) to fill the notch and hold down the top deck down. I think I could of used 2mm washers all around but it would have been close.
I ran the car on asphalt (mod) with mixed results. The surface had no grip (not treated) and the car had a push. It definitely didn't look like Andy's car.
It might have been the driver ...