R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 11-27-2012, 05:21 AM   #541
Tech Apprentice

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)
Default Clicking in front when wheels rotating

I have just completed my build of TCXX here in AUST and have a clicking noise in the front when on the track and wheels turning.
I think I do remember someone else did have this problem and I am unable to find what was the solution to fix?
Any thoughts?

Regards,

Wayne
Old 11-27-2012, 04:04 PM   #542
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)
Send a message via Skype™ to JordanC

Quote:
Originally Posted by WDBSYD View Post
I have just completed my build of TCXX here in AUST and have a clicking noise in the front when on the track and wheels turning.
I think I do remember someone else did have this problem and I am unable to find what was the solution to fix?
Any thoughts?

Regards,

Wayne
Hey Wayne,

It's just the standard spool that does that. When you build the spool you will notice the outdrives have up and down play. As you turn the drivetrain over it tightens as the pins are vertical and the the spool moves a little and makes a clicking sound. This happens ever 180 degrees. It's not an issue to drive and you can't hear it on the track.

If you want to fox it install the Roche spool. The outdrives are a lot better and there is less slop.
JordanC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2012, 04:09 PM   #543
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by WDBSYD View Post
Any thoughts?

Regards,

Wayne
Quote:
Originally Posted by JordanC View Post
Hey Wayne,

It's just the standard spool that does that. When you build the spool you will notice the outdrives have up and down play. As you turn the drivetrain over it tightens as the pins are vertical and the the spool moves a little and makes a clicking sound. This happens ever 180 degrees. It's not an issue to drive and you can't hear it on the track.

If you want to fox it install the Roche spool. The outdrives are a lot better and there is less slop.
Actually the movement you see in the cups is how we designed it. When running standard drive shafts and a spool that has no movement like ours you will get a lot a chatter. The cups moving like ours absorbs the energy and thus the chatter you get from running standard drive shafts is reduced resulting in better performance.

I was reading that an Xray driver at a race recently forgot to put the screws in their spool and when they realized this and put the screws back in the car didn't perform quite the same.
Old 11-28-2012, 02:03 PM   #544
Tech Apprentice

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)
Default Thanks

Thank you for the explanation and confirmation al is good.

Happy racing

Regards

Wayne
Old 12-04-2012, 07:34 AM   #545
Tech Adept

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dog Bone View Post
If you can call it that - the supplied servo saver is quite 'savey' :-) Others have replaced theirs with the Tamiya servo saver + the 3 racing horn. I've done something similar, and the Tamiya version works *much* better.
I did some testing on the servo savers across my 3 cars and found the new TCXX servo saver to be stiffer than the Cyclone and Pro4.

I admit I was surprised at how easy it seemed to turn the wheels with everything switched on and the servo holding in neutral but as I say it was stiffer than my previous 2 cars and I never noticed a problem with them. I might add another ring to the TCXX saver to stiffen it further.
dvaid852456 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2012, 07:53 AM   #546
Tech Addict

R/C Tech Elite Subscriber

Trader Rating: 16 (100%+)

A TCXX is for sale if your looking for one Here
Old 12-05-2012, 01:58 AM   #547
Tech Adept

Has anyone else noticed that with 3 x Z817 washers on the front battery stop and 2 x Z817 washers on the back battery stop, the battery sticks out further at the back?

I had to remove 1 of the washers on the motor mount battery stop at the rear so the battery runs parallel to the chassis.

dvaid852456 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2012, 06:39 AM   #548
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Yup, you're right. I did the same thing to get the battery parallel to the chassis.
Dog Bone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2012, 11:50 PM   #549
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 20 (100%+)

looks like XX spares and option parts are trickling onto Amain
goots is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2012, 10:52 PM   #550
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)

You guys sure are quiet in here. I'll have a TCXX up and running in the coming weeks developing a high grip carpet setup. Can't wait to start racing again .

-Korey
Pro Spec America/Apex RC - Team ORCA - Awesomatix USA - Roche RC USA - AVID - Sweep - Protoform - Pro-One RC - Slapmaster Tools - Hebiki Design Works - Turtlemaster Racing - Seattle RC Racers - Timezone Hobbies
Korey Harbke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2012, 01:03 AM   #551
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 20 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by NolanP View Post

So I just finished the TCXX and my biggest question is with the steering block. Do you guys use the stock servo saver a horn?

I switched to the saver that looks like the xray one. I put it in the middle position and at the max position it hits the steering block. Do you just move the horn 30 degrees towards the outside of the car and call it quits?
Im having this problem also. How many degrees of steering is max?
goots is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2012, 01:23 AM   #552
Tech Regular

With the TCX servo saver (that looks like the Xray one) you had to cut off the inside edge of the saver arm at 45 degrees, it's in the TCX manual.
Do not mount the arm towards the outside, you'll mess up the geometry. You need to have as close to 90 degree angle between the arm and tie rod as you can, which means angling it slightly inboard, usually 1 spline off centre is the closest.
cyclonetog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2012, 01:26 AM   #553
Tech Regular

Have a look at step 37 for cutting the saver arm.

TCX Manual
cyclonetog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2012, 10:32 AM   #554
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Korey Harbke View Post
You guys sure are quiet in here. I'll have a TCXX up and running in the coming weeks developing a high grip carpet setup. Can't wait to start racing again .

-Korey
Welcome back Korey!! I'm sure a lot of people are waiting for your help here.
Hi-LowBlow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2012, 10:37 AM   #555
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 89 (100%+)
Send a message via Yahoo to olhipster1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Korey Harbke View Post

-Korey

yes please...I need a high grip carpet setup...

first time out with the car this past weekend...I have to say one of the best cars driven to date.
used the box setup as a base..made just a few minor changes(rear upright shim move all the way back and 2000 in the gear diff, .25 extra shim on ackerman).
Car had too much traction..
per some friendly advice I took all shims out from under the hinge pins and pink springs in front and it was 100% more planted.

my one and only comment with the car...
Why does HB still include the front Alum bones???....a few hits..and they bind up. This is running 17.5 blinky.
had to place steel bones in.
Not one issue at all after that.
Car has zero tweak issues.

The car build quality is absolutely world class. not one issue.
The best Gear Diff out of all the brands...(and yes I have built just about all of them) ZERO leaks and butter smooth.
I am not sure what changes were made to the shocks...but WOW...they are just AWESOME.
Chub and Steering knuckles are very strong. (it survived me!).
CAUSE and EFFECT
olhipster1 is offline   Reply With Quote