R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Like Tree19Likes
Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 01-06-2016, 02:28 PM   #781
Tech Adept
 
NomadRacer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2015
Location: Virginia
Posts: 200
Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)
Default

I made good progress on my build today.

1) Sliced off the horizontal mount tabs on the Futaba S9650 servo. I wanted to use the kit supplied mounts. Came out very clean (can't post pics yet due to post count). While assembling the tie rods one of the turnbuckle eyelets split on me Ordered some, along with some other spare parts!

2) Gears,wire,tires and some misc. parts due in tomorrow from TQR and CRC.

Next purchase will be an ESC and some batteries...
__________________
AE RC12R5.2/McFactory 12R5.2n/CRC GenX-10 SE WGT-R/AE RC10 Worlds

www.ashfordhobby.com
NomadRacer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2016, 04:46 PM   #782
Tech Elite
 
EDWARD2003's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: Tokyo, Japan
Posts: 2,002
Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by NomadRacer View Post
I made good progress on my build today.

1) Sliced off the horizontal mount tabs on the Futaba S9650 servo. I wanted to use the kit supplied mounts. Came out very clean (can't post pics yet due to post count). While assembling the tie rods one of the turnbuckle eyelets split on me Ordered some, along with some other spare parts!

2) Gears,wire,tires and some misc. parts due in tomorrow from TQR and CRC.

Next purchase will be an ESC and some batteries...
Yes, the same happened to me with the rod ends. I just binned those and used TN racing rod rends.
__________________
Check out my YouTube channel for 1/12th scale and 1/10th Touring maintenance tips!
YouTube Search https://www.youtube.com/c/EdwardPickering?gvnc=1
                 VBC 12M - D08 - FX
EDWARD2003 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2016, 04:47 PM   #783
Tech Elite
 
EDWARD2003's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: Tokyo, Japan
Posts: 2,002
Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robbob View Post
We use the 5.1 brace when we added the shims.
http://www.tqrcracing.com/shop/produ...w.asp?p_id=186

OR you could use the VBC ones that come in different lengths.
Thanks for the heads up! I will order one of those braces in the near future.
__________________
Check out my YouTube channel for 1/12th scale and 1/10th Touring maintenance tips!
YouTube Search https://www.youtube.com/c/EdwardPickering?gvnc=1
                 VBC 12M - D08 - FX
EDWARD2003 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2016, 05:12 PM   #784
Tech Elite
 
EDWARD2003's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: Tokyo, Japan
Posts: 2,002
Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robbob View Post
Question on the Xenon steering blocks - I have the 1-2-3* ones but don't understand two things.

First is it caster or camber they change ...... how do they go in? The instructions show drawn pictures but not really clear on what way the number gos in each one.

Also what is the benefit from running them over stock?


Other question on side springs ...... what would I gain from going to black (softer) side springs over the Olive ones Associated makes?


Thanks for the help.
It changes camber. If I remember right, running different inserts will make the cars camber flatten out while in the corner. This is all dependent on how much static camber and insert you are using. For example, if you run a 0 deg block with -1.5 camber and with the wheels turned there will be a noticeable angle of the inside edge of the wheel going to the outside edge. Whereas if you run the same camber with insert #2 this will flatten out the angle. This camber change only occurs when you're steering into a corner. I haven't tested this out on the track, but it should make the car easier to drive in the corners, maybe?

As for the instructions, I hear ya. I too had issues with it. You'll have to test it out and let us know.

Side springs.

Simply put -Softer will make the car have more rear traction.
-Hard will make the car have less rear traction.

You'll notice these side spring changes when going on to high speed sweepers and chicanes. If you find the car is under-steering then increase the the side spring rate, if the car is over-steering then decrease the side spring rate.

Keep in mind these sides springs might change due to your tire compound choices.
__________________
Check out my YouTube channel for 1/12th scale and 1/10th Touring maintenance tips!
YouTube Search https://www.youtube.com/c/EdwardPickering?gvnc=1
                 VBC 12M - D08 - FX
EDWARD2003 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2016, 04:34 AM   #785
Tech Adept
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Posts: 148
Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by EDWARD2003 View Post
It changes camber. If I remember right, running different inserts will make the cars camber flatten out while in the corner. This is all dependent on how much static camber and insert you are using. For example, if you run a 0 deg block with -1.5 camber and with the wheels turned there will be a noticeable angle of the inside edge of the wheel going to the outside edge. Whereas if you run the same camber with insert #2 this will flatten out the angle. This camber change only occurs when you're steering into a corner. I haven't tested this out on the track, but it should make the car easier to drive in the corners, maybe?

As for the instructions, I hear ya. I too had issues with it. You'll have to test it out and let us know.

Side springs.

Simply put -Softer will make the car have more rear traction.
-Hard will make the car have less rear traction.

You'll notice these side spring changes when going on to high speed sweepers and chicanes. If you find the car is under-steering then increase the the side spring rate, if the car is over-steering then decrease the side spring rate.

Keep in mind these sides springs might change due to your tire compound choices.

Appreciate all that!
Robbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2016, 07:44 AM   #786
Tech Master
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Boulder, CO
Posts: 1,754
Trader Rating: 15 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robbob View Post
Question on the Xenon steering blocks - I have the 1-2-3* ones but don't understand two things.

First is it caster or camber they change ...... how do they go in? The instructions show drawn pictures but not really clear on what way the number gos in each one.

Also what is the benefit from running them over stock?
Quote:
Originally Posted by EDWARD2003 View Post
It changes camber. If I remember right, running different inserts will make the cars camber flatten out while in the corner. This is all dependent on how much static camber and insert you are using. For example, if you run a 0 deg block with -1.5 camber and with the wheels turned there will be a noticeable angle of the inside edge of the wheel going to the outside edge. Whereas if you run the same camber with insert #2 this will flatten out the angle. This camber change only occurs when you're steering into a corner. I haven't tested this out on the track, but it should make the car easier to drive in the corners, maybe?
The Xenon steering blocks change kingpin inclination, which impacts a number of things - including camber gain and scrub radius. I would recommend doing a google search on kingpin inclination (or angle), as many of the references for full-scale racing will do a better job of explaining KPI than I can. The new Serpent car has blocks with KPI inserts as well.
__________________
Chris Hillier | 5280 Raceway | www.5280raceway.com | Racing. Elevated.

Destiny | LRP America | Protoform | Xenon/JFT | Gravity RC | Motiv | Sanwa | Max.FX
LloydLoar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2016, 08:46 AM   #787
Tech Adept
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Posts: 148
Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by LloydLoar View Post
The Xenon steering blocks change kingpin inclination, which impacts a number of things - including camber gain and scrub radius. I would recommend doing a google search on kingpin inclination (or angle), as many of the references for full-scale racing will do a better job of explaining KPI than I can. The new Serpent car has blocks with KPI inserts as well.

Brewing the coffee when I get home lol ....... plenty to read on this.

Thanks.
Robbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2016, 04:18 PM   #788
Tech Elite
 
EDWARD2003's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: Tokyo, Japan
Posts: 2,002
Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by LloydLoar View Post
The Xenon steering blocks change kingpin inclination, which impacts a number of things - including camber gain and scrub radius. I would recommend doing a google search on kingpin inclination (or angle), as many of the references for full-scale racing will do a better job of explaining KPI than I can. The new Serpent car has blocks with KPI inserts as well.
Thank you for clarifying this
__________________
Check out my YouTube channel for 1/12th scale and 1/10th Touring maintenance tips!
YouTube Search https://www.youtube.com/c/EdwardPickering?gvnc=1
                 VBC 12M - D08 - FX
EDWARD2003 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2016, 10:46 AM   #789
Tech Adept
 
NomadRacer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2015
Location: Virginia
Posts: 200
Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)
Default

Finally... 15+ posts!

This is my 12R5.2 as it rolls today. Short funds right now till the end of the month.

Futaba S9650 servo with horizontal tabs sliced off.

Lunsford titanium brushless motor screw (top only).

View on Protoform car stand.
Attached Thumbnails
Associated RC 12 R5.2-12r5.2c.jpg   Associated RC 12 R5.2-12r5.2b.jpg   Associated RC 12 R5.2-12r5.2a.jpg  
__________________
AE RC12R5.2/McFactory 12R5.2n/CRC GenX-10 SE WGT-R/AE RC10 Worlds

www.ashfordhobby.com
NomadRacer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2016, 01:00 PM   #790
Tech Fanatic
 
Cosmo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2001
Location: Roanoke, VA
Posts: 829
Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by NomadRacer View Post
Finally... 15+ posts!

This is my 12R5.2 as it rolls today. Short funds right now till the end of the month.

Futaba S9650 servo with horizontal tabs sliced off.

Lunsford titanium brushless motor screw (top only).

View on Protoform car stand.
To paraphrase Brody from Jaws...

"You're gonna need a bigger pinion"
__________________
www.MBRSpeedShop.com - indoor carpet onroad and offroad racing in Roanoke, VA
Cosmo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2016, 01:56 PM   #791
Tech Adept
 
NomadRacer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2015
Location: Virginia
Posts: 200
Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)
Default

Bigger pinion.... yes! I got that 24 tooth before understanding all about gearing the car. I think I know what I need but always looking for suggestions/tips.
__________________
AE RC12R5.2/McFactory 12R5.2n/CRC GenX-10 SE WGT-R/AE RC10 Worlds

www.ashfordhobby.com
NomadRacer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2016, 02:28 PM   #792
Tech Fanatic
 
Cosmo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2001
Location: Roanoke, VA
Posts: 829
Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by NomadRacer View Post
Bigger pinion.... yes! I got that 24 tooth before understanding all about gearing the car. I think I know what I need but always looking for suggestions/tips.
You probably want to be in the area of 100 rollout. Under would be okay, but I wouldn't go over it much.

Since tire diameters change, it's hard to say "use XX/XX gearing". But there are calculators for that and I know there are some spreadsheet charts online as well.

Here is the calculator I usually use: http://store.ontrackrc.com/index.php...page=page&id=3
__________________
www.MBRSpeedShop.com - indoor carpet onroad and offroad racing in Roanoke, VA
Cosmo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2016, 05:15 AM   #793
Tech Adept
 
NomadRacer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2015
Location: Virginia
Posts: 200
Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)
Default

Anybody using the Slapmaster #109 Thrust Kit on the diff?
__________________
AE RC12R5.2/McFactory 12R5.2n/CRC GenX-10 SE WGT-R/AE RC10 Worlds

www.ashfordhobby.com
NomadRacer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2016, 06:09 AM   #794
Tech Elite
 
EDWARD2003's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: Tokyo, Japan
Posts: 2,002
Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)
Default

Check out my YouTube channel for some interesting modifications to the 12R5.2 chassis.

Video of my 12R5.2 which you can do as well! Cheap and easy!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I1IOctQ_CSk

It's about the differential. Get the Slapmaster thrust kit!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uu99...m-upload_owner
__________________
Check out my YouTube channel for 1/12th scale and 1/10th Touring maintenance tips!
YouTube Search https://www.youtube.com/c/EdwardPickering?gvnc=1
                 VBC 12M - D08 - FX
EDWARD2003 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2016, 07:18 AM   #795
Tech Adept
 
NomadRacer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2015
Location: Virginia
Posts: 200
Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)
Default

Thank you kindly for the video links.

I polished the king pins but still feel a binding so ordered a 1/8" dia. reamer to do the steering blocks. Should I also ream the pivot balls?

Will definitely go for the Slapmaster kit!
__________________
AE RC12R5.2/McFactory 12R5.2n/CRC GenX-10 SE WGT-R/AE RC10 Worlds

www.ashfordhobby.com
NomadRacer is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Associated RC12R5 Ferrarimk13 Electric On-Road 3811 05-08-2016 09:02 PM
Pantoura, 1/10 Pan Car, 2S LiPo, Brushless, Tips and Tricks. John Stranahan Electric On-Road 2178 12-01-2010 10:26 AM



Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT -7. It is currently 10:04 PM.


Powered By: vBulletin v3.9.2.1
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Advertise Content © 2001-2011 RCTech.net