Wiki Posts
Search
Like Tree24Likes

Associated RC 12 R5.2

Search this Thread

Old 01-24-2013, 03:18 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)

We have experimented with the Gravitys a lot locally... They seem to work very well and are pretty comparable to the typical "natural" foam in regards to wear and outright grip. We durometered a bunch of them initially and compared them to CRC/BSR foam, and the Gravity Softs came in right around Magenta and the Gravity Meds were right around Double Pink. The next time my buddy durometered them, he got slightly softer readings for the Gravitys...

As best we can tell, at least shore-wise, the Softs are probably between a Pink and a Magenta... and the Mediums are close to a Double Pink.

Magenta/Magenta is what you want to look at if your aim is to lock the car down.
Old 01-24-2013, 07:08 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 14 (100%+)

Originally Posted by AdrianM
13.5 blinky on a small flowing track with sub 9 sec lap times. I am actually running .018's now. I forgot that I changed that last week.

The fastest guys (TJ Bradley, Mike Bruce, Steve McNichols) are running Magenta/Magenta or Magenta/Pink. I actually need to lock the car down not free it up. I have Jaco Magenta/Pink on the way.
You might try a black/yellow combo one time, you might find it actually gives you a locked in feeling since the tires dont make the car steer so hard, so you can actually use more sauce on the fronts and make some other changes to make the car steer harder. All I know is, a few weeks ago at our Sweep race at Middle River, which is also a small track, running 13.5 blinky, I had a car that could push Mike Haynes around all 8 mins with those style tires (he was on mag/mag i think). Just cause everyone else does it, doesnt mean its what will work for you I think they make the car easier to drive for blinky, and a little more consistent through 8 mins.
Old 01-26-2013, 05:29 AM
Tech Champion

I will install the electronics on my 12R5.2 this afternoon.

Here are the parts:
- Hobbywing 1S ESC
- Futaba S9650 servo
- Sanwa RX451 receiver
- Orion 6400mah 90C lipo
- GM 10.5 motor

16AWG wires for the motor, 14AWG for the lipo

Do you have any recommendation or advice before I begin?
Old 01-26-2013, 07:02 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Pulse_
I will install the electronics on my 12R5.2 this afternoon.

Here are the parts:
- Hobbywing 1S ESC
- Futaba S9650 servo
- Sanwa RX451 receiver
- Orion 6400mah 90C lipo
- GM 10.5 motor

16AWG wires for the motor, 14AWG for the lipo

Do you have any recommendation or advice before I begin?
Normally I shop all the speedo wires off, so I can easily work with the box.
Then you can put it in the car with some scotch tape, so it's just easy to get out. Now you can start trying .

Also, I've you have the experience try to shorten the Servo wires. It's so much easier.

Regards Robert
Old 01-31-2013, 03:10 PM
Tech Champion

Originally Posted by Robert_K
Normally I shop all the speedo wires off, so I can easily work with the box.
Then you can put it in the car with some scotch tape, so it's just easy to get out. Now you can start trying .

Also, I've you have the experience try to shorten the Servo wires. It's so much easier.

Regards Robert
thanks, everything is mounted and soldered now I'll post some pics later

does anybody have a good setup to start with on a small technical carpet track? It will be the very first time I'll be running 1/12 so I'm looking for a quite neutral and easy to drive car.
Old 01-31-2013, 03:36 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

thanks, everything is mounted and soldered now I'll post some pics later

does anybody have a good setup to start with on a small technical carpet track? It will be the very first time I'll be running 1/12 so I'm looking for a quite neutral and easy to drive car.
Try Keven Hebert's IIC setup but dont space the reactive caster block in 2mm.
Old 02-01-2013, 09:12 AM
Tech Apprentice

Try Keven Hebert's IIC setup but dont space the reactive caster block in 2mm.
So: toe out and wider arm/longer upper link for thight, technical tracks. Why? Btw what is soft front brace?
Old 02-01-2013, 10:02 AM
Tech Champion

Originally Posted by oddski
So: toe out and wider arm/longer upper link for thight, technical tracks. Why? Btw what is soft front brace?
No, other way around. Kev's IIC setup is using long upper arms and I am saying not to do that for tight tracks. Mike Ivy suggested than and it worked for me.

Long upper arms for big flow tracks, short upper arms for tight tracks and when you need more aggressive steering.

I have no idea about the front brace thing...lol!
Old 02-01-2013, 10:18 AM
Tech Apprentice

No, other way around. Kev's IIC setup is using long upper arms and I am saying not to do that for tight tracks. Mike Ivy suggested than and it worked for me.

Long upper arms for big flow tracks, short upper arms for tight tracks and when you need more aggressive steering.

I have no idea about the front brace thing...lol!
Ha ha. But using spacers on the lower arm will give an longer upper arm, which get even longer with spacers on the caster... So you mean go stock setup instead of the Kev iic?
Old 02-01-2013, 11:14 AM
Tech Champion

Ha ha. But using spacers on the lower arm will give an longer upper arm, which get even longer with spacers on the caster... So you mean go stock setup instead of the Kev iic?
Yup, stock setup up front. I took out the 2mm spacers between the reactive caster/upper arm mounts and the suspension mount. I left the .5mm spacers between my lower arms and the suspension mounts. This is a small change and smooths the car out a little.

The car turns harder and my lap times are faster at my local track when set up like this.
Old 02-01-2013, 11:40 AM
Tech Apprentice

Yup, stock setup up front. I took out the 2mm spacers between the reactive caster/upper arm mounts and the suspension mount. I left the .5mm spacers between my lower arms and the suspension mounts. This is a small change and smooths the car out a little.

The car turns harder and my lap times are faster at my local track when set up like this.
OK, sounds good. Which spacers are you using om the lower arm? Also soft side-springs and medium tube lube(I have the5.1 lipo with speedm tube kit & red/green/blue spooge). Tyvm
Old 02-01-2013, 11:47 AM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)

+1 on the Herbert IIC setup. I've been running it since day 1 with this car and it works great in 13.5 blinky. I kept the 2mm upper arm spacing, I tend to run a slightly softer front tire and a little more camber though so I think it makes up for it.

I had a 12r5.1 with the speed merchant conversion before the 5.2. With the sm tubes I always ran green lube but found that with the bigger tubes on the 5.2 I had to step up to red.
Old 02-01-2013, 02:24 PM
Tech Champion

i'll try herbert IIC setup then
Old 02-01-2013, 03:01 PM
Tech Champion

OK, sounds good. Which spacers are you using om the lower arm? Also soft side-springs and medium tube lube(I have the5.1 lipo with speedm tube kit & red/green/blue spooge). Tyvm
I got an extra set of the AE FT front ride height spacers. P/N: 4617

I use Green or Red SpeedM Spooge.
Old 02-01-2013, 03:04 PM
Tech Champion

i'll try herbert IIC setup then
It is a great place to start. I would suggest running the tires in the setup, pink all around. With Magenta's running 13.5 blinky that setup does not have the steering I need for my track.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.