Search

Tamiya kit recommendations?

Search this Thread

Old 08-11-2012, 08:23 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 35 (100%+)
Questions?? Tamiya kit recommendations?

I'm looking for a Tamiya chassis and am unsure what to do -

I will primarily run USVTA with the car but also intend to compete in TCS GT3 this winter.

In order of importance, I want a car that:

-is easy/forgiving to drive
-is durable
-is simple to wrench on when needed

So what one would you recommend - TA-05, -05 IFS, -05 v2, TA-06, or TB-03 and why?

Thanks in advance for your help!
Old 08-11-2012, 08:43 AM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 8 (90%+)

They are all very similar.

TB03 is a shaft drive, so it suits the lower power motors.
TA05 has been around forever and everyone still seem to like them as they are very durable and handles very well (balanced)
TA06 is new, different drivetrain but with two gear diff, maintenance is significantly reduced.

They all use the same suspension components from the TRF range.
Old 08-11-2012, 04:47 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

hey
Id definitely go for a TA05 or the TA06 both are very capable cars and very durable. You can pick up a kit of rcmart cheap now to
Old 08-11-2012, 05:03 PM
Tech Regular

If you go for the ta06 get the pro version as it has upgrades you will want anyway
Old 08-11-2012, 11:02 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

TA05 V2. It has a lower internal ratio of 2.05 compared to that of the TA05v1 & TA05Ifs (2.25) and the TA06 (2.17)

The TA05 V1 and IFS has older suspension components of lower arms, hub carriers & steering knuckles that are carried over from the older TA04, and will not fit either the TA05V2 or TA06.

The TA05V2 and TA06 share the same suspension components of the higher spec TRF cars such as the 416 & 417 so sourcing parts shouldn't be a problem.

For high wind blinky motor classes the TA05V2 2 belt system should be more efficient than the TA06 2 belt + gearbox drivetrain.

Both the TA05V2 & TA06 are good choices and as mentioned the TA06 Pro has some of the hop ups that you may want and is easier to find rather than a TA05V2 Pro.

Cheers
Rob.
Old 08-12-2012, 01:04 AM
Tech Fanatic

I've driven a TA05 converted to IFS and the still driving the TA06 PRO and my mersonal favourit is the TA06 PRO.
Although the TA05 is very good it isn't as forgiving then a TA06.
Out of the box the TA06 PRO is better then a every TA05 (ver.II), the car handles much smoother and way more balanced cause of the location of all the electronics.
If you should place the TA06 on 4 scales you would see that there isn't a that big differences in the weight balance between left/right and front/rear.
The TA05 shows a much bigger difference between left/right and front/rear on 4 scales.
Wich will translate in a not so smooth and balanced performance on the track.

I've competed this year in our belgian tamiyacup races and with a 16T sensored brushless motor and i was able to compete the higher class drivers who are using a 12T sensorless brushless motor.
With my TA06 PRO I was able to drive between the top 3 guys of the higher class.
I'm just ponting out that a TA06 PRO chassis has got more potential then most people would like to admit or recommend.
This is just my personal opinion between a TA05 and a TA06, hope this helps you to decide what kind of chassis to go for.
Old 08-12-2012, 02:48 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 35 (100%+)

Thanks for all the advice! I'm leaning toward the TA06 pro as it seems like a better choice for what I need and what I plan to do in the future. Do you guys have problems with the battery compartment screws stripping out on that chassis?

Thanks again! Happy Hunting!
Old 08-13-2012, 03:12 AM
Tech Fanatic

Originally Posted by TeamNuts
Thanks for all the advice! I'm leaning toward the TA06 pro as it seems like a better choice for what I need and what I plan to do in the future. Do you guys have problems with the battery compartment screws stripping out on that chassis?

Thanks again! Happy Hunting!
The screws to hold the battery tray are bold into lock nuts so they don't strip, i've been using the same lock nuts for over a year now and don't have any problems at all.