Wiki Posts
Search

what do you think of...

Search this Thread

Old 07-16-2002, 10:45 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)
what do you think of...

using 700mah nimh aaa batteries in the transmitter? more specifically using 10cells to get the 12v of alkalines. these will all fit and will be lighter than 8cell aa. most of the aa nicads that have been used over the years are only 700-800 mah anyway. is my thinking lame? i'd love to have that kind of signal voltage.

oh, and would mounting a receiver under a c/f top plate cause more glitching than if it were mounted way outside? no, nothing is touching the graphite. in fact, the top plate is fiberglass. is my receiver just surrounded by too much graphite?
Old 07-16-2002, 11:07 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Are you having signal problems to start with? I use AA NiCd batteries of 550, 600, 700 MAH and have no signal problems! Sanyo does make 1100 MAH AA cells with 1.25v each, I believe they are NiMh, but I could be wrong. Not as high of voltage as alkalines but better than normal rechargeables. As far as using the 10 AAA's to get the higher voltage, I can't see where it would be any problems, just a matter of how you will put them in your radio tray or just make your own pack. How do you have the receiver wire mounted? Is it up and away from the carbon plate and away from other wires? Also just an afterthough, but you can get regular NiMh AA batteries in 1800 MAH now which is mighty high capacity! You wouldn't have to charge them nearly as often, but you would lack the voltage--- www.thomasdistributing.com
Old 07-17-2002, 08:44 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

yeah, it's pretty clean. no wires are touching carbon. not even the power wires.
Old 10-28-2009, 10:11 AM
Regional Moderator

Lots of guys have moved on to LiPo packs in their transmitters. You may want to consider this, as they fit completely within the transmitter, and last a very long time. Also, make sure you use a LiPo compatible charger if you go this route.
Old 10-28-2009, 10:32 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Wow... 2002 called and said it wants to stay asleep!
Old 10-28-2009, 10:49 AM
Tech Elite

What you might want to consider is that the radio signal being transmitted is regulated, when I tested a Futaba Skysport radio a few years back, the output (using a 9.6V Nicad pack) signal was 10V, this stayed the same whether we put 12V or 9V or anything inbetween through it.

The output signal only became erratic once the voltage started to drop too much on the transmitter.

We measured the output signal with an oscilloscope.

Skiddins