R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 12-25-2012, 02:15 PM   #1396
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 22 (100%+)

I've been running this car since its release, and I've been reading this thread the whole time. I have seen a lot of people flip flop on their opinions on the BD7. What everyone should know is that this car is designed to win. It is not designed to be a tank, cheap, or easy for everyone to drive. The driver also needs to know setup. If you don't like to work on your car, or think that Volker's setup is what's going to get you the win, you might want to consider another car. My roots started with pan cars, which promotes a smooth driving style. That is how you have to drive it. It wins because of its corner speed. If you are a point and shoot driver (as most TC guys are) it can be a little more difficult to drive. Just my $.02
Thunderbunny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2012, 05:24 PM   #1397
Tech Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thunderbunny View Post
I've been running this car since its release, and I've been reading this thread the whole time. I have seen a lot of people flip flop on their opinions on the BD7. What everyone should know is that this car is designed to win. It is not designed to be a tank, cheap, or easy for everyone to drive. The driver also needs to know setup. If you don't like to work on your car, or think that Volker's setup is what's going to get you the win, you might want to consider another car. My roots started with pan cars, which promotes a smooth driving style. That is how you have to drive it. It wins because of its corner speed. If you are a point and shoot driver (as most TC guys are) it can be a little more difficult to drive. Just my $.02
Amen!
HawaiiBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2012, 05:29 PM   #1398
Tech Adept

R/C Tech Elite Subscriber

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thunderbunny View Post
OMG!!!!!!!!!!!! FINALLY!!!!!!!!!!!!!! THANK YOU MAN!!!!! I have just come back to reading this thread after reading a boat load of setups and comment that are just crazy and all over the place. they just did not make sense and really made the car look and sound like a pill of junk and it is not. you the car need to be tweaked and worked on after every run. but that is want it takes to win. i see Volker and/or him mechanic working on the car after each and every run. i see Hébert doing the came... Lemieux the same thing..
T.O.P Racing USA, John's BSR Racing Tires, Gravity RC, R1werks, 3Racing, TQ Wire
jumpnjack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2012, 09:33 PM   #1399
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 52 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by NolanP View Post
As of right now it's just not cornering well (pushing). I have made some adjustments and have yet to test. I actually put down the BD7 for my TCXX. My TCXX is good though. I think the Yokomo has the ability to be a great car. It's just setting it up based on my driving style. Which means I have to stop reading others setups and find mine. That will be my upcoming goal. I rushed into this car and carpet and have done horrible until just recently. So I will keep you updated through out.

As stated this is not a beginners car on any level. If you want a beginners car go get the xray. Very good out of the box and very forgiving.
I really hope you can make it out to the Mile High Indoor Championships in April so that you can see a bunch of us beginners running Xrays. After the race you can put in an order with Amainhobbies...because that is the only way you will be receiving anything with words "A main" written on it. Beginners...that makes me laugh!
Old 12-26-2012, 06:25 AM   #1400
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by artwork View Post
I really hope you can make it out to the Mile High Indoor Championships in April so that you can see a bunch of us beginners running Xrays. After the race you can put in an order with Amainhobbies...because that is the only way you will be receiving anything with words "A main" written on it. Beginners...that makes me laugh!
Art It's the most forgiving car and best car out of the box on the market. See statement for fixed phrasing. So yes if someone is a "beginner" it's their best shot to easily get satisfaction. The rest you can twist my words and make it sound like whatever you want. Sadly no I will not be traveling for a little while in prep for our first child.
Nitro GT
Wheeler and Mod Buggy

Last edited by NolanP; 12-26-2012 at 08:22 AM.
NolanP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2012, 07:10 AM   #1401
Team EAM

Trader Rating: 73 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to EAMotorsports

Quote:
Originally Posted by NolanP View Post
Art It's the most forgiving car and best car out of the box on the market. So yes if someone is a "beginner" it's their best shot to easily get satisfaction. The rest you can twist my words and make it sound like whatever you want. Sadly no I will not be traveling for a little while in prep for our first child.
Nolan,

Im gonna go with Art. While I knew what you were trying to say, your post does come across that you think the Xray is a "Beginner's car" because of the way you worded it.

Congrats on the upcoming first born.

EA
EAMotorsports is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2012, 05:14 PM   #1402
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

I'm glad to read your last few comments guys. I am not even half way into reading this thread.

I am 1- not a newbie 2- know how to setup my car, and 3- a driver that is far from a point and shoot style! I used to race F1 cars and the original HPI RS4 Pro2, so this should suit my driving style! I'm not looking for a beginner car!

But my main question is how it reacts to setup changes, i usually go with one change at a time, but does the chassis react well to that, or prefers many changes to get a little different?
Cadman1981 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2012, 05:15 PM   #1403
Tech Addict

Also, has anyone translated the manual to english? lol I am curious to know what all the comments are!
Old 12-26-2012, 05:37 PM   #1404
Tech Elite

R/C Tech Elite Subscriber

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cadman1981 View Post
Also, has anyone translated the manual to english? lol I am curious to know what all the comments are!
The manual in the kit is in English. I could never find an english version online.
Old 12-26-2012, 05:48 PM   #1405
Tech Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cadman1981 View Post
I'm glad to read your last few comments guys. I am not even half way into reading this thread.

I am 1- not a newbie 2- know how to setup my car, and 3- a driver that is far from a point and shoot style! I used to race F1 cars and the original HPI RS4 Pro2, so this should suit my driving style! I'm not looking for a beginner car!

But my main question is how it reacts to setup changes, i usually go with one change at a time, but does the chassis react well to that, or prefers many changes to get a little different?
The chassis reacts very well to any minor changes. A .2mm shim is enough to get the chassis to change the way it can handle.
Nitro GT
Wheeler and Mod Buggy
Old 12-27-2012, 07:58 AM   #1406
Tech Addict

That's great news to hear NolanP.

I'm only at page 47 of this thread, and i have been taking a lot of great notes and build tips!
I will be racing 17.5, here are my notes

Diff Info
If i have a leaking rear diff - Replace O-Ring with Kyosho P5S part number KYOORG05

http://www.amainhobbies.com/product_...t-P5-Orange-10

The harder or tighter rear diff u can have with sacrificing on power under steer the better as u get the most forward drive.
AE 2000 Diff oil (ASC5451)
http://www.amainhobbies.com/product_...id-2000cst-2oz

Servo - Needs a servo Saver or a metal servo horn from Square
http://rcmarket.com.hk/product_info....oducts_id=8572

Spur - Yokomo BD-644T or hot bodies 68723 - Aluminum Washer 4x6x1.0mm <- CAN SOMEONE EXPLAIN THIS PART FOR ME?
Yokomo BD7 Panaracer 64P Spur Gear (96T) - [YOKB7-6496]
http://www.amainhobbies.com/product_...-Spur-Gear-96T

Silky smooth shocks
Make sure the grove on the piston is DOWN. Drill out pistons to 1.1mm. Make small hole in shock cap for no rebound.

Upgrade option: two of these blue O-Rings:
YOK-YS-7HG
http://www.fast-webshop.com/yokomo-b...h-Grade-O-Ring

with this thin collar:
YOK-BD-S2W
http://www.fast-webshop.com/yokomo-b...ng-Coller-Thin

And these black ys-8hd Bladders for shocks (seems like the whole yokomo team is using them now)
http://www.fast-webshop.com/yokomo-b...yper-Diaphragm

Last edited by Cadman1981; 12-27-2012 at 01:59 PM.
Old 12-27-2012, 09:18 AM   #1407
OVA
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 66 (100%+)

[QUOTE=Cadman1981;11599296]That's great news to hear NolanP.

I'm only at page 47 of this thread, and i have been taking a lot of great notes and build tips!

Hey Buddy
Mine pretty much box stock with no isssue..
I used Associated green slime grease for gear diff O ring
I didn't drill any holes for shock cap...no reb.
I used Xray servo saver
1000wt gear diff for 17.5 stock classes
No oil leak ,PS If it does leak ,maybe apply Associated green grease on oring ...

Last edited by OVA; 12-27-2012 at 11:50 AM.
OVA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2012, 09:52 AM   #1408
Tech Elite

[QUOTE=Cadman1981;11599296]
Spur
yokomo BD-644T or hot bodies 68723
Aluminum Washer 4x6x1.0mm <- CAN SOMEONE EXPLAIN THIS PART FOR ME?

There is a little 4x6x1mm washer that sits in between the posts for the spur holder. So if you look at the pics of the spur holder on one side is a flanged layshaft to make the layshaft lay as flat as possible you place that washer on the other end of the layshaft. Its for spacing but can be lost if you are moving quickly or carelessly as I did.
Nitro GT
Wheeler and Mod Buggy
Old 12-27-2012, 01:55 PM   #1409
Tech Addict

For the servo horn, as anyone tried Tamiya's High Tourque Servo Saver? Part 51000

http://www.tamiyausa.com/product/ite...oduct-id=51000

or 3Racing's
http://www.rcmart.com/3racing-3racsh...cPath=1099_808

I have an old F1 with it on, i could measure from the center of the screw hole to the center of the ball to see the distance, can someone measure the Yokomo servo horn for futaba servos?

Last edited by Cadman1981; 12-27-2012 at 02:06 PM.
Old 12-27-2012, 02:00 PM   #1410
Tech Addict

One more question: does the manual come in english, regardless of where you order it from?