R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 12-24-2012, 08:03 AM   #1381
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by kschu View Post
what happen??
Nothing yet. I just wanted this to be my only car not my asphalt car and my TCXX my carpet car.

Although I am still playing with setup. My problem was the car seemed a little in-consistent my biggest problem is playing with certain items and just "going by the book" on other stuff. So I am waiting on some springs and forgetting that there are setup sheets out there. I don't think that all the setups are correct for my driving style.
Nitro GT
Wheeler and Mod Buggy
NolanP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2012, 09:31 AM   #1382
Tech Elite

R/C Tech Elite Subscriber

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by NolanP View Post
Nothing yet. I just wanted this to be my only car not my asphalt car and my TCXX my carpet car.

Although I am still playing with setup. My problem was the car seemed a little in-consistent my biggest problem is playing with certain items and just "going by the book" on other stuff. So I am waiting on some springs and forgetting that there are setup sheets out there. I don't think that all the setups are correct for my driving style.
That's what I realized. My driving style changed for the bd7. I started driving my t4 yesterday and it drives nothing like my bd7. It's a much more calm car and its kind of weird at first.
Old 12-24-2012, 09:42 AM   #1383
Tech Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by B00t13g View Post
That's what I realized. My driving style changed for the bd7. I started driving my t4 yesterday and it drives nothing like my bd7. It's a much more calm car and its kind of weird at first.
Really I found it the other way around. I found that I have to drive the BD7 very timid and let the car do most of the work. Where as any Xray I have had I have to push very hard to get it to do exactly what I want. Unless I'm not reading that properly and you are refering to your BD7 as the calm car. But I found a dialed T4 that I have to wheel the car harder than the BD7. But today is rip down and rebuild the Yok day. Test some stuff out and see where I stand next weekend. There is no way that this car is this slow on carpet in stock yet as soon as Volker gets his hands on it he's winning everything. Yes Volker could rock any car and throw it in the A-main but he's not beating slouches. He just beat Reinhard. He won a main at Worlds and got screwed in the other while running against Hara. He was in second making a pass and then his body parachuted and he flipped otherwise Volker more than likely would have been our current World Champ. All since this car.
Nitro GT
Wheeler and Mod Buggy
Old 12-24-2012, 10:47 AM   #1384
Tech Elite

R/C Tech Elite Subscriber

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

I was referring to the t4 as the car I have to drive hard. If I drive it calmly like my bd7 it's almost half a second slower, but if I push it it's just as fast.
Old 12-24-2012, 11:46 AM   #1385
Tech Adept

Nolan u did misread, I found that u need to be ultra smooth with the bd7 or it bites u, the t4 the harder u push it the more it laughs and becomes fast. If u drive aggressively then the t4 is for u, except I drive for Schumacher now so the schuie mi4 cxl is the best! In all honesty the cxl is apparently very similar to the drive style of xray.

J
Jampot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2012, 01:32 PM   #1386
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Hey guys, i'm looking to get the Yokomo for my local carpet track that is a high tracktion surface. I am comparing it to a T4 and TCXX, as they are my 3 choices. All have pretty much the same support from my local hobby shop.

Is the BD-7 a car that is somewhat easy to tune? Does it like setup changes? or do i have to change many things to get it to affect it's handling? Compared to the T4, i hear it's similar, but different.

I don't what a car that is great "out of the box" but doesn't like setup changes from the basic stock setup like some cars do...

Last question, now that it comes with a servo mount, does it mean it didn't have one before?? and what about the battery retainers? it comes with nothing to guide my lipo in the updated kit?
Cadman1981 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2012, 01:51 PM   #1387
Tech Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jampot View Post
Nolan u did misread, I found that u need to be ultra smooth with the bd7 or it bites u, the t4 the harder u push it the more it laughs and becomes fast. If u drive aggressively then the t4 is for u, except I drive for Schumacher now so the schuie mi4 cxl is the best! In all honesty the cxl is apparently very similar to the drive style of xray.

J
No I know about pushing the car. I am fully emotionally attached. I just think there is a way to manipulate the car to be as fast as the T4 yet not give up its characteristics. I just think that there is a crazy setup that will work.

Btw if you are ever around with the schumie I'd love to try it.
Nitro GT
Wheeler and Mod Buggy
Old 12-24-2012, 05:45 PM   #1388
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to Racing4Evo

Have any of you tried Tamiya 417 or Associated TC6.1? I liken the BD7 to be in between those 2 cars. TC6.1 is always easy to drive but not always fast, and the 417 is vice versa.

... I would drive an xray if they didn't charge up an arm and a leg for spare parts.
Racing4Evo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2012, 05:58 PM   #1389
Tech Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by Racing4Evo View Post
Have any of you tried Tamiya 417 or Associated TC6.1? I liken the BD7 to be in between those 2 cars. TC6.1 is always easy to drive but not always fast, and the 417 is vice versa.

... I would drive an xray if they didn't charge up an arm and a leg for spare parts.
I have driven them all except the 417. The TC6.1 is money with Yokomo springs.

If your putting a 417 in the conversation you can't not put the Xray in the conversation or the Yokomo. Price shouldnt be an option if you put the Tamiya in the convo with a Yokomo. But you forgot about one car that is good yet not mentioned a lot TCXX.
Nitro GT
Wheeler and Mod Buggy
Old 12-24-2012, 09:54 PM   #1390
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 19 (100%+)

Isnt this the BD7 thread ? Sure is a lot of talk of other cars . lol
Old 12-25-2012, 04:58 AM   #1391
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 16 (100%+)
Send a message via MSN to kschu

normally i run yokomo standard spring on carpet
nolan, is your car hooking in the corner ??
Old 12-25-2012, 10:44 AM   #1392
Tech Initiate

I am not that experienced with different cars. Its nice to read diffent ways of handling. And from the things i read here , its just ā matter of driving style and taste of handling. But damn , cant wait to drive the BD7.
Kevin E. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2012, 10:56 AM   #1393
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 32 (100%+)

The car is stunning when it's right. Take a look at Naoto's 2011 IIC mod A-Main win for exhibits A, B and C.
syndr0me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2012, 10:59 AM   #1394
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 52 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cadman1981 View Post
Hey guys, i'm looking to get the Yokomo for my local carpet track that is a high tracktion surface. I am comparing it to a T4 and TCXX, as they are my 3 choices. All have pretty much the same support from my local hobby shop.

Is the BD-7 a car that is somewhat easy to tune? Does it like setup changes? or do i have to change many things to get it to affect it's handling? Compared to the T4, i hear it's similar, but different.

I don't what a car that is great "out of the box" but doesn't like setup changes from the basic stock setup like some cars do...

Last question, now that it comes with a servo mount, does it mean it didn't have one before?? and what about the battery retainers? it comes with nothing to guide my lipo in the updated kit?
From what I have seen getting a BD7 as a beginner is a really bad idea. The BD7 is probably the most sensitive car I have seen on carpet. To each their own, but honestly I think it would be a mistake to tell a newer driver to run a BD7. You have to have some serious driving and setup skills to make this car go fast consistently. I have seen two people go consistently fast with this car and both of them are some of the best drivers in the world. People may hate on me for saying this car was not carved and created by Mithra himself...but in all honestly I would steer clear and either get a TC6.1 WC or a T4. I am sure there is one average club racer going fast with this car somewhere is some imaginary place, but I have not seen or read about it. I just hate seeing people get frustrated because they bought the wrong car. Good luck!

The TCXX is a car designed for outdoor paved surfaces with curbing...it is not the best carpet car out there. If I bought a TCXX I would be exclusively running it on the asphalt. I am sure you can find people that rave about how good it is on carpet, but honestly they are a small group. If you do get a TCXX, hit up Korey Harbke...he knows TCs very well and always produces a great starting setup.

Sorry for the exit...back on topic now!
Old 12-25-2012, 12:47 PM   #1395
Tech Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by kschu View Post
normally i run yokomo standard spring on carpet
nolan, is your car hooking in the corner ??
As of right now it's just not cornering well (pushing). I have made some adjustments and have yet to test. I actually put down the BD7 for my TCXX. My TCXX is good though. I think the Yokomo has the ability to be a great car. It's just setting it up based on my driving style. Which means I have to stop reading others setups and find mine. That will be my upcoming goal. I rushed into this car and carpet and have done horrible until just recently. So I will keep you updated through out.

As stated this is not a beginners car on any level. If you want a beginners car go get the xray. Very good out of the box and very forgiving. -- just so we are clear--best new car out of the box for competition. Can pull the car out of the box build it to the instruction manual and win a "national event".
Nitro GT
Wheeler and Mod Buggy

Last edited by NolanP; 12-26-2012 at 08:21 AM. Reason: Clarity