R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 12-06-2012, 09:09 AM   #1171
Tech Elite
 
B00t13g's Avatar
R/C Tech Elite Subscriber
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Houston, TX
Posts: 2,040
Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5tylez View Post
wouldn't shorting the wheel base make the car less stable on turning? I thought making the wheel base longer will smoothen out the car a little?

Has any one tried using the forward most mounting holes for steering rack to change the ackerman to smoothen out the car on flowing corners?
It smoothed out the initial turn in because its not transferring as much weight forward off throttle.
__________________
Mackenzie Meyercord
Rc America, Xray, MOTIV, Avid, Team EAM, Apex Rc Pro Shop, Pro Spec USA, Sanwa, RSD
B00t13g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2012, 09:15 AM   #1172
OVA
Tech Champion
 
OVA's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Location: WASHINGTON
Posts: 8,501
Trader Rating: 67 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by B00t13g View Post
It smoothed out the initial turn in because its not transferring as much weight forward off throttle.
plus longer wb also take wider turn
OVA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2012, 09:25 AM   #1173
Tech Elite
 
B00t13g's Avatar
R/C Tech Elite Subscriber
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Houston, TX
Posts: 2,040
Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by OVA View Post
plus longer wb also take wider turn
It's technically shorter though?
__________________
Mackenzie Meyercord
Rc America, Xray, MOTIV, Avid, Team EAM, Apex Rc Pro Shop, Pro Spec USA, Sanwa, RSD
B00t13g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2012, 11:40 AM   #1174
OVA
Tech Champion
 
OVA's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Location: WASHINGTON
Posts: 8,501
Trader Rating: 67 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by B00t13g View Post
It's technically shorter though?
maybe we are talking two differnt things...
Longer car can't turn harder than shorter wheelbase car around the turn
OVA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2012, 10:21 PM   #1175
Tech Master
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: Wisconsin
Posts: 1,202
Trader Rating: 21 (100%+)
Default

Is A-Main going to get restocked with parts soon?
__________________
Thanks to pops

TLR, Fantom, Horizon, Spektrum, Trackside
Brian L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2012, 10:41 PM   #1176
Tech Champion
 
hanulec's Avatar
R/C Tech Elite Subscriber
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: @ the post office
Posts: 8,015
Trader Rating: 23 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian L View Post
Is A-Main going to get restocked with parts soon?
let me guess -- right c-hubs?
__________________
FJ / ROAR #2-122945 / Shop@ Awesomatix USA / Wild Turbo Fan / Mon-Tech Racing / RocheRC USA / Side Piece /
LRP / John's BSR Tires / TeamEAM / TQ Wire / R1 / Team Scream / PCR / MIX
RacerLog wiki Awesomatix A700 / 2wd offroad 4 life
hanulec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2012, 11:26 PM   #1177
Tech Elite
 
B00t13g's Avatar
R/C Tech Elite Subscriber
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Houston, TX
Posts: 2,040
Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by hanulec View Post
let me guess -- right c-hubs?
Haha you as well. I have like 4 lefts and no rights. I ordered a few sets from futaba pro shop. Thankfully our new lay out is running the opposite way so I can break into my stash of lefts!
__________________
Mackenzie Meyercord
Rc America, Xray, MOTIV, Avid, Team EAM, Apex Rc Pro Shop, Pro Spec USA, Sanwa, RSD
B00t13g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2012, 01:22 AM   #1178
Tech Initiate
 
Aaron_M's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Lincolnshire, UK
Posts: 49
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5tylez View Post
wouldn't shorting the wheel base make the car less stable on turning? I thought making the wheel base longer will smoothen out the car a little?

Has any one tried using the forward most mounting holes for steering rack to change the ackerman to smoothen out the car on flowing corners?
A longer wheelbase will make the car more stable. I didnt mean i was going to try a shorter wheelbase, just to play around a bit with the wheelbase in general

Havnt tried the forward ackerman holes in the chassis but have had 1mm to 2mm behind the steering link ballstuds to move them forward more.
__________________
Yokomo BD7
Aaron_M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2012, 09:54 AM   #1179
Tech Lord
 
syndr0me's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: 5280 Raceway
Posts: 13,049
Trader Rating: 32 (100%+)
Default

The Yokomo DCJ's are currently taking up all 10 spots on my s*** list.
syndr0me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2012, 10:24 AM   #1180
Tech Elite
 
B00t13g's Avatar
R/C Tech Elite Subscriber
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Houston, TX
Posts: 2,040
Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by syndr0me View Post
The Yokomo DCJ's are currently taking up all 10 spots on my s*** list.
Lol why? I haven't really had any issues with mine?
__________________
Mackenzie Meyercord
Rc America, Xray, MOTIV, Avid, Team EAM, Apex Rc Pro Shop, Pro Spec USA, Sanwa, RSD
B00t13g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2012, 11:08 AM   #1181
Tech Champion
 
hanulec's Avatar
R/C Tech Elite Subscriber
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: @ the post office
Posts: 8,015
Trader Rating: 23 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by syndr0me View Post
The Yokomo DCJ's are currently taking up all 10 spots on my s*** list.
McMaster 1.5x10mm pins cut down really help along with shrink wrap. But yes... They suck.
__________________
FJ / ROAR #2-122945 / Shop@ Awesomatix USA / Wild Turbo Fan / Mon-Tech Racing / RocheRC USA / Side Piece /
LRP / John's BSR Tires / TeamEAM / TQ Wire / R1 / Team Scream / PCR / MIX
RacerLog wiki Awesomatix A700 / 2wd offroad 4 life
hanulec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2012, 01:02 PM   #1182
Tech Lord
 
syndr0me's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: 5280 Raceway
Posts: 13,049
Trader Rating: 32 (100%+)
Default

It's almost as if the pins are too short. They weren't breaking, just coming out during an impact. I'm gonna revisit making the Tamiya DCJ's work.

I finally broke a c-hub last night. I think I caught an axle on a flapper.

I didn't have a great night with the car to be honest. I was chasing electronics issues all night (turned out to be a sensor wire) and that kinda put me behind the curve making setup adjustments. The grip was up and I thought the car was worse for it. Pushed a bit in the sections where I needed a lot of steering. I need to spend some time working on the setup in higher traction.
syndr0me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2012, 01:15 PM   #1183
Tech Elite
 
CristianTabush's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Location: Houston
Posts: 2,676
Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by syndr0me View Post
It's almost as if the pins are too short. They weren't breaking, just coming out during an impact. I'm gonna revisit making the Tamiya DCJ's work.

I finally broke a c-hub last night. I think I caught an axle on a flapper.

I didn't have a great night with the car to be honest. I was chasing electronics issues all night (turned out to be a sensor wire) and that kinda put me behind the curve making setup adjustments. The grip was up and I thought the car was worse for it. Pushed a bit in the sections where I needed a lot of steering. I need to spend some time working on the setup in higher traction.
Our XRAY DCJs/ TC6 V2 DCJs will arrive in like 10 days. We will sell the parts separately. The coupling is interchangeable with the yokomo ones and it uses captured pins. We have a guy locally running them and he has had success with changing the parts over. I have been running the V2 DCJs in my RSD6 for about 3 months running modified on the same set of DCJs. Karl Hoffmeister ran the Proto XRAYs for a good while with great success in blinky 13.5 and 17.5 with even a little bit of mod in there.

In my case pin failures were not an issue, but rather just wear from heavy usage running mod 2x per week for 2-3 months at a time. Usually at this point it's time to rebuild the unit. The coupling is usually the part I do not need to replace.
__________________
REFLEX RACING/ RSD/ GIZMO RACING USA/ HOBBYWING/ AXON/ QTEQ/ TEAM PRIME
CristianTabush is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2012, 01:20 PM   #1184
Tech Lord
 
syndr0me's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: 5280 Raceway
Posts: 13,049
Trader Rating: 32 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by CristianTabush View Post
Our XRAY DCJs/ TC6 V2 DCJs will arrive in like 10 days. We will sell the parts separately. The coupling is interchangeable with the yokomo ones and it uses captured pins. We have a guy locally running them and he has had success with changing the parts over. I have been running the V2 DCJs in my RSD6 for about 3 months running modified on the same set of DCJs. Karl Hoffmeister ran the Proto XRAYs for a good while with great success in blinky 13.5 and 17.5 with even a little bit of mod in there.

In my case pin failures were not an issue, but rather just wear from heavy usage running mod 2x per week for 2-3 months at a time. Usually at this point it's time to rebuild the unit. The coupling is usually the part I do not need to replace.
This sounds very interesting to me. So I would only need to replace the coupling with your pins and rings? The Tamiya DCJ's interfere with the c-hubs slightly, any idea how the diameter of yours compare? I'm definitely good for an order and some testing, I'd much rather not use grub screws and shrink wrap. I don't mind replacing worn parts after a few months, that's expected. It's the breaking I can't abide by.
syndr0me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2012, 01:34 PM   #1185
Tech Elite
 
CristianTabush's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Location: Houston
Posts: 2,676
Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)
Default

Syndrome, that is correct. The diameter should be nearly identical to the Yoke unis. There is going to be a little bit bigger diameter just at the point where the clips are, but this is a total of maybe 1mm more overall and usually at a point where they are not in the way of hitting, at least nothing was mentioned to me by the person running them in the Yokomo. I have personally not measured the Yokomo units, but I know they work.

For what it's worth, the XRAY, RSD and Yokomo Universals have interchangeable parts, they all have the same measurements. When we designed ours, I kid you not, the dimensions were practically identical to the XRAY units and we DID NOT EVER measure the XRAY ones. It was pretty weird. Come to find out, the Yokomo ones are the same way.
__________________
REFLEX RACING/ RSD/ GIZMO RACING USA/ HOBBYWING/ AXON/ QTEQ/ TEAM PRIME
CristianTabush is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
"TITC" THAILAND INTERNATIONAL TOURING CAR CHAMPIONSHIP 2006 John Doucakis Electric On-Road 233 03-20-2016 03:30 PM
Revolution Touring Car Championship 2005 (RTCC) SuPerDraGon Singapore R/C Racers 639 10-01-2005 04:25 AM
LRP Touring Car Masters 2005 V12 Electric On-Road 337 09-02-2005 01:43 PM



Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT -7. It is currently 07:45 AM.


Powered By: vBulletin v3.9.2.1
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Advertise Content © 2001-2011 RCTech.net

SEO by vBSEO 3.5.0