R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Like Tree5Likes

Old 03-22-2016, 06:06 AM   #6916
Tech Master

Both cars are great out of the box. You'll need springs and different oils for shocks and gear diffs. A body. Don't trim too much until you get to the race. There will be a box that measures the wing and height of the body. Speedo will need to be in blinky mode if you don't run mod. Batteries have to be approved on roars list I think. Seriously. Both cars are really good. Pick one and go race.
Juan Aveytia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2016, 06:22 AM   #6917
Tech Adept

Quote:
Originally Posted by bLamey470 View Post
Ok go easy on me I've been doing off road for the past 5-6 years and been trying to get into the off road reedy race for the past 2 years and failed thru the lottery system so I thought just for shits and giggles to sign up for reedy on road race and I got in so it came as a shock...I've never raced on road and I'm trying to decide on a car...I'm torn between this car and a T4 2016...obviously answers are gonna be a little bit biased due to where I'm posting this...but any imput would be helpful, as in driving characteristics and hop ups needed...thanks
Both are high quality cars. I had a T4 14 and am now running a Yokomo. I found that the Yok suited my driving style better. On the T4, I never could get the steering like I wanted. Never had that problem with the BD7.

Plastic might be a little tougher on the Xray, but durability never was an issue on the Yok either. In 2 years, the only thing I broke was a C-Hub. Parts are much cheaper on the Yokomo.

As for hopups, for both cars, some 3mm shims of various thickness, various springs and oils. If you go the Yokomo route, possibly get a couple of optional suspension mounts (look on Petit RC, there are several setup posted) Also get a high quality servo saver like the Xray one.

One way or another, like said previously, you can't go wrong. Both can be equally fast and both are very good cars.

Martin Paradis
rhodopsine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2016, 06:43 AM   #6918
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Having had both, I have to agree with Martin. More steering, cheaper parts. You can also carry the corner speed better as a result of the low CG. He covered it all.

Don't forget the servo mount though. They don't come with a good one in the 2016 kit.
bdmpastx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2016, 06:45 AM   #6919
Tech Elite

R/C Tech Charter Subscriber

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to Brian McGreevy Send a message via Yahoo to Brian McGreevy

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoreyW. View Post
Yeah it was a really close race. I am sure most people watching didn't know that Andrews body was pancaked for the entire run as well. I don't know how he managed to race with it like that!

Check it out..

Note: Skip to 5:05

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kiBatw3LXZM

I will get his Canadian Nats setup posted too. Below setup is from the ROAR Nats.

http://site.petitrc.com/reglages/yok...velRC20160320/
Corey,
Did he use 2 or 6 degree caster blocks? Block selection says 2, but 6 degrees is checked for caster. Thanks.
USVTA Member #211

Support Formula SAE - get kids into engineering!
http://motorsports.illinois.edu/
Brian McGreevy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2016, 09:40 AM   #6920
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian McGreevy View Post
Corey,
Did he use 2 or 6 degree caster blocks? Block selection says 2, but 6 degrees is checked for caster. Thanks.
They were switching between 2 and 4, since the editable set-up sheet auto populates 6, on the side he must have over looked it. They settled on 2

LONG LIVE OPEN MODIFIED
miller tyme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2016, 09:57 AM   #6921
Tech Elite

Send a message via AIM to Brian McGreevy Send a message via Yahoo to Brian McGreevy

Quote:
Originally Posted by miller tyme View Post
They were switching between 2 and 4, since the editable set-up sheet auto populates 6, on the side he must have over looked it. They settled on 2
Thanks Ken. Did they settle on 2 to keep the front-end calmer & reduce jacking because the traction was so high?
USVTA Member #211

Old 03-22-2016, 10:14 AM   #6922
Tech Master

Quote:
Thanks Ken. Did they settle on 2 to keep the front-end calmer & reduce jacking because the traction was so high?
That was the main reason. I was running a VERY similar set-up but I opted to remove the outboard camber shims instead of reducing caster. I was also on 2.0/6.0 rear blocks. Otherwise my set-up was identical. I can vouch for it being fast. A little bad luck in the last qualifier cost him the lead and re-TQing which gave Chris the pole spot. Chris was very tight and clean but clearly Andrew was faster all weekend. If he could have gotten around him clean it would have been lights out.

LONG LIVE OPEN MODIFIED
Old 03-22-2016, 11:46 AM   #6923
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

Quote:
That was the main reason. I was running a VERY similar set-up but I opted to remove the outboard camber shims instead of reducing caster. I was also on 2.0/6.0 rear blocks. Otherwise my set-up was identical. I can vouch for it being fast. A little bad luck in the last qualifier cost him the lead and re-TQing which gave Chris the pole spot. Chris was very tight and clean but clearly Andrew was faster all weekend. If he could have gotten around him clean it would have been lights out.
Could you post your Set up, ' I'm running on the CRC black carpet with the same gravity tires and my front end dug in HARD, car felt unstable
dawgmeat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2016, 11:50 AM   #6924
Tech Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by dawgmeat View Post
Could you post your Set up, ' I'm running on the CRC black carpet with the same gravity tires and my front end dug in HARD, car felt unstable
I'll post it tonight. Glue fronts for sure about all the way up

LONG LIVE OPEN MODIFIED
Old 03-22-2016, 11:54 AM   #6925
Tech Elite

Quote:
Spool or diff with putty? I was thinking of trying a 2.5 million diff instead of a spool (like the way diffs drive much more).
USVTA Member #211

Old 03-22-2016, 12:58 PM   #6926
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

I think front 1way diffs are gonna make a comeback with these extreme high traction levels
dawgmeat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2016, 01:24 PM   #6927
Tech Master

Quote:
Spool or diff with putty? I was thinking of trying a 2.5 million diff instead of a spool (like the way diffs drive much more).
Diff, Way heavier than 2.5 million, I borrowed one from Andrew, it was VERY thick. I've since built one with 20 million from gravity RC and it's close but still not as thick.

LONG LIVE OPEN MODIFIED
Old 03-22-2016, 01:25 PM   #6928
Tech Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by dawgmeat View Post
I think front 1way diffs are gonna make a comeback with these extreme high traction levels
it works

LONG LIVE OPEN MODIFIED
Old 03-22-2016, 01:47 PM   #6929
Tech Elite

Quote:
it works
Yes it sure does...I've definitely almost pressed the "BUY" button for the BD7 a few times.
USVTA Member #211

Old 03-22-2016, 01:52 PM   #6930
Tech Elite

Quote:
Diff, Way heavier than 2.5 million, I borrowed one from Andrew, it was VERY thick. I've since built one with 20 million from gravity RC and it's close but still not as thick.
The thickest one I've driven is 1 million, but was thinking of building one up with Ride 45 putty or that Gravity 20 million. I've never liked how much turn-in the spool kills and how aggressive the car has to be setup to make it get into the corner. How much different is it from the spool?
USVTA Member #211