R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 10-27-2013, 05:51 PM   #2941
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 55 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by wstuart View Post
Alright I've been been squeezing every last drop of performance out of my serpent s400 for the last 6 years. I think it's time to upgrade.

I was seriously considering the t4 14 until I saw this thread.

I'm a socal 17.5 nt racer who will be racing primarily at tq raceway (medium-high grip carpet) and our new local asphalt track (medium to low grip).

I've poured over the thread looking for someone to say something bad about this car but it doesn't look like I'll find it.

Question:
Is this car over kill for a b-main 17.5 racer. It seems like everyone who loves this car is racing at least 13.5. I know Im not as fast as those guys and if I could get away this a used t4 or tc6.1 and not notice a difference I would prefer to save some coin.
There are a few of us in the B main at TQ for 17.5 that run BD7's.
Old 10-27-2013, 07:23 PM   #2942
gom
Tech Adept

Just want to share some experience with the BD7 RS here for those who are also on a budget. It runs surprisingly well out of the box on our medium grip carpet track after swapping out the stock springs with the regular Yokomo Pink and Blue.

However, like others mentioned earlier in the thread, the plastic front spool breaks very easily. Nothing else broke for me during the weekend. Everything else is solid and the car runs stable and agile. But I would definitely recommend getting a proper spool if anyone is considering this car. To be fair, I was running mod with a 5.5 motor. But hey, some one got to put this thing under the pressure test.

Getting the sway bars is also a good idea as they don't come with the box.

Overall the BD7 RS serves the purpose of a budget chassis. But you do need to buy at least some springs, sway bars, and front spool to have it run properly.

Performance wise, it matches the lap time of a properly set up BD5wxi that I normally run so I am really satisfied with it. However, I don't own a BD7, so I couldn't make a direct comparison.
Old 10-29-2013, 10:50 PM   #2943
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

Just finished putting together my BD7, and i am uber impressed how easy it went to gether and is to work on, im sure it has half the parts of my TC6.1
I cant believe how little slop there is in everything, sure i had to shim the arms up a little but once done that is it.

Things i didnt like,

the stupid kit shock o rings, i can feel them leak before the car even hits the track, seriously it wouldnt kill them to fix the blue ones from kit. I used some associated green slime on them and the diff orings, hopefully they hold until the rest of my spares arrive next week.

That is all

looking forward to its first outing next week
Old 10-30-2013, 02:06 AM   #2944
Tech Regular

tbh I never had a problem with any of the kit o-rings. Yes I have replaced them over time with what everybody else uses but that was more routine maintenance than necessity,
cyclonetog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2013, 05:50 AM   #2945
Tech Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by gom View Post
Just want to share some experience with the BD7 RS here for those who are also on a budget. It runs surprisingly well out of the box on our medium grip carpet track after swapping out the stock springs with the regular Yokomo Pink and Blue.

However, like others mentioned earlier in the thread, the plastic front spool breaks very easily. Nothing else broke for me during the weekend. Everything else is solid and the car runs stable and agile. But I would definitely recommend getting a proper spool if anyone is considering this car. To be fair, I was running mod with a 5.5 motor. But hey, some one got to put this thing under the pressure test.

Getting the sway bars is also a good idea as they don't come with the box.

Overall the BD7 RS serves the purpose of a budget chassis. But you do need to buy at least some springs, sway bars, and front spool to have it run properly.

Performance wise, it matches the lap time of a properly set up BD5wxi that I normally run so I am really satisfied with it. However, I don't own a BD7, so I couldn't make a direct comparison.
To echo what you have said, the BD7 RS is by no means a rubbish kit but does need work out of the box, but what car doesnt? youd expect a £350 kit like a mi5 to work out of the box but you also pay that price.

The RS is fine out of the box on carpet or outdoor, even without roll bars or yoko blue n pink springs, the black kit ones are very soft but for a beginners first touring car using a sensible motor its absolutely fine, anything added to that beginner like springs etc will help but nothing out of box hinders so that is a plus.

I have front n rear roll bars coming along with stoppers, battery guide, etc to further bulk this kit up but what is definitely required if you do buy one, is a metal spool up front, without question, getting the metal pullies as well makes for a VERY smooth drive train that even impressed a schumacher team driver.

Oh and the Differential would benefit from kyosho p5 o rings, my diff has not leaked since.
PurcyP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2013, 11:08 AM   #2946
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)

I wanted to see if anyone knew the lb. of the Yellow: 5.5 coils/1.4mm wire (YOKYS-1455L) spring.

Thanks
Old 10-30-2013, 07:13 PM   #2947
Tech Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by bhambrent View Post
I wanted to see if anyone knew the lb. of the Yellow: 5.5 coils/1.4mm wire (YOKYS-1455L) spring.

Thanks
14.71 lbs

R1Wurks
Yokomo YRX12
Ho-B Max
JimmyMac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2013, 08:59 PM   #2948
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

I was looking at the setups on PetitRC
http://www.petitrc.com/reglages/yoko...YokomoBD7.html

I noticed that some drivers put bump steer, how does that affect the car?
1990s Futaba FXT stadium racer - Mint condition!
And a bunch of other RC kits for me and my kids...yeah...my kids...
Cadman1981 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2013, 10:16 AM   #2949
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

New 3Racing parts for the BD7, some "SSK Driveshaft", they look cool, and a little different than your typical double jointed drive shaft

http://www.tqrcracing.com/shop/produ....asp?p_id=6854
1990s Futaba FXT stadium racer - Mint condition!
And a bunch of other RC kits for me and my kids...yeah...my kids...
Cadman1981 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2013, 01:15 PM   #2950
Tech Master

Had a chance to run the car with carbon reinforced arms, knuckles. The car is more stable and easier to drive. I have been running kit arms for 6 months. Oh well ya live and ya learn.
Old 10-31-2013, 01:49 PM   #2951
Tech Champion

R/C Tech Elite Subscriber

Trader Rating: 34 (100%+)
Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by hanzo3 View Post
Had a chance to run the car with carbon reinforced arms, knuckles. The car is more stable and easier to drive. I have been running kit arms for 6 months. Oh well ya live and ya learn.
Learn something new everyday
Carbon arms always on carpet

"Men do not quit playing because they grow old; they grow old because they quit playing."
― Oliver Wendell Holmes Jr.
RedBullFiXX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2013, 03:17 PM   #2952
Tech Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedBullFiXX View Post
Learn something new everyday
Carbon arms always on carpet
I haven't been doing this for that long. So I didn't know. But the car is definately not as twitchy.
Old 10-31-2013, 09:21 PM   #2953
Tech Elite

Here's my starting setup for carpet with front diff. Kinda out there, but a work in progress. As others have stated. Sorex 28R's can make the car twitchy. If you are running them, I suggest using 2mm rear inner camber link shims. This will tighten down the back end. I switched to 32R Sorex and it tightened up the whole car. Went back to 1mm rear inner camber link. I'm going to make some other changes this weekend to see how it fairs. Right now I'm in the learning process with this chassis. It's fun!

Oh nevermind, it didn't save any of the information on the PDF, I'll try again later...

R1Wurks
Yokomo YRX12
Ho-B Max
Old 10-31-2013, 09:25 PM   #2954
Tech Master

Jimmy do you have 1 mm on the outer rear camber link or just zero?
Old 10-31-2013, 09:48 PM   #2955
Tech Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by hanzo3 View Post
Jimmy do you have 1 mm on the outer rear camber link or just zero?
I have 1mm. Posting my setup now.

R1Wurks
Yokomo YRX12
Ho-B Max