YOKOMO Touring Car BD-7

Search this Thread

Old 10-15-2013, 06:22 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Originally Posted by RedBullFiXX
Are you missing shims?
You should be able to tighten without any bind at all
I agree. You should be able to crank down on it and nothing should bind. In fact, I added a .1mm shim on top where the brace used to sit. This was done to take out slop. You can see no brace in my pic.

Question for you guys. What are you doing, on carpet, to keep the rear end planted? Mine seems to want to step on in the switch backs and mid corner to corner exit on tight corners. I've been fighting it for the past 2 weekends. I've ran Volker's starting indoor setup to no avail. I'm thinking about trying a front diff with 2.5mil in it. Any other suggestions? Thanks.

On another note, I dunno where to find the Nats Pack that is in stock. I did see it at Amain a week or two ago, but I wasn't looking into getting it. Now it's sold out. I thought there was another place, but I don't remember the name. It's not RCMarket, hmmm I dunno. I'll post up if I find it again.
Old 10-15-2013, 07:21 PM
Tech Apprentice

Originally Posted by JimmyMac
I agree. You should be able to crank down on it and nothing should bind. In fact, I added a .1mm shim on top where the brace used to sit. This was done to take out slop. You can see no brace in my pic.

Question for you guys. What are you doing, on carpet, to keep the rear end planted? Mine seems to want to step on in the switch backs and mid corner to corner exit on tight corners. I've been fighting it for the past 2 weekends. I've ran Volker's starting indoor setup to no avail. I'm thinking about trying a front diff with 2.5mil in it. Any other suggestions? Thanks.

On another note, I dunno where to find the Nats Pack that is in stock. I did see it at Amain a week or two ago, but I wasn't looking into getting it. Now it's sold out. I thought there was another place, but I don't remember the name. It's not RCMarket, hmmm I dunno. I'll post up if I find it again.
I think most of your problem with overtseer(especially mid-corner) is the absence of the front steering bridge support. We tested this a few times this past week at the IIC(extremely high bite) and found that the bridge in made the car more predictable mid-corner. By the sounds of your description, I think you will like our setup..once I get it posted up. Also, if you have any bumpsteer shims, remove them - this will also help keep the car more predictable mid-corner. Here are a couple more things to try:

more front toe
lower rear inner link
more rear toe-in
thicker rear shock oil
more rear camber
less rear droop
Old 10-15-2013, 07:47 PM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by CoreyW.
I think most of your problem with overtseer(especially mid-corner) is the absence of the front steering bridge support. We tested this a few times this past week at the IIC(extremely high bite) and found that the bridge in made the car more predictable mid-corner. By the sounds of your description, I think you will like our setup..once I get it posted up. Also, if you have any bumpsteer shims, remove them - this will also help keep the car more predictable mid-corner. Here are a couple more things to try:

more front toe
lower rear inner link
more rear toe-in
thicker rear shock oil
more rear camber
less rear droop
Darn, I thought about the bridge mounts, but didn't order any. I'll save that for next weeks order.

This is the setup I started with. http://www.petitrc.com/reglages/yoko...orSetup201211/

These are the changes I tried to no avail. Maybe helped a tad, but still tail happy. Cannot drive the car hard at all.

I changed front block 44.2mm ---> 43.5mm.
Rear inner link shim 0.5mm ---> none.
Rear camber -1.5 ---> -2.0.
Rear shock position 3 ---> 2.
Rear spring Blue ---> Black.

When you say front toe, do you mean add toe out or toe in? I ran about 0.5 toe out. I would like to try less rear droop. I'm guess it has something to do with chassis flex. It seems to be the characteristic that I'm noticing while driving it. You think that front mount will help this much? Hmmm it's only Tuesday... maybe I should make an order......

Thanks for your setup advice!
Old 10-15-2013, 08:01 PM
Tech Elite

Wait, you meant front steering bridge, not suspension mount... oops.. ok... got it. I thought about it, but someone told me it would make it worse. I should of listened to myself and my experience... hehe
Old 10-15-2013, 08:10 PM
Tech Elite

Run 0mm ackerman as in no shims and use .5mm wheel hex spacer in the rear. I guarantee you will understeer like a dump truck then find your happy medium for Ackerman.
Old 10-15-2013, 08:12 PM
Tech Apprentice

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

have you tried the thinner top plate? I run on carpet and having good results when my steering works properly. Ive just started running 17.5 boosted on a very low traction carpet course

I run a front diff with 500,000 cst
increase the rear droop
moved shock position to 2
softer black springs
2000 cst rear diff oil
high traction upper deck

sweep 24r tires.
Old 10-15-2013, 08:23 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)

Running outdoor asphalt this weekend and it's med-high grip. I need to get more corner speed mid turn & exit. It seems the car slows down while in the corner. I guess you can call it scrub speed? How can I get more corner speed?
Thx.-John
Old 10-15-2013, 08:26 PM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by Racing4Evo
Run 0mm ackerman as in no shims and use .5mm wheel hex spacer in the rear. I guarantee you will understeer like a dump truck then find your happy medium for Ackerman.
Yup, I took out the center link/Ackerman shims. Still no luck.The rear hex shims did cross my mind. I'll look into that. I'm guessing at lot of my problem has to do with chassis flex though. My track would be mid to high traction. That steering bridge may be my ticket.
Old 10-15-2013, 08:30 PM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by jonston
have you tried the thinner top plate? I run on carpet and having good results when my steering works properly. Ive just started running 17.5 boosted on a very low traction carpet course

I run a front diff with 500,000 cst
increase the rear droop
moved shock position to 2
softer black springs
2000 cst rear diff oil
high traction upper deck

sweep 24r tires.
I'm trying a front diff with 2.5m cst this weekend. I thought about the high traction top deck, but didn't feel like ordering from HK this week. I'm running Sorex 28R tires.
Old 10-15-2013, 08:49 PM
Tech Apprentice

Wait, you meant front steering bridge, not suspension mount... oops.. ok... got it. I thought about it, but someone told me it would make it worse. I should of listened to myself and my experience... hehe
Correct - the bridge that connects the two steering posts to the upper deck. Ronald, Zdenko and Andrew, all had the same feedback so I am more than confident with our findings.

As for toe, I meant more(+)toe-out.

I did forget to ask one important question..what tires are you using?
Old 10-15-2013, 09:22 PM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by CoreyW.
Correct - the bridge that connects the two steering posts to the upper deck. Ronald, Zdenko and Andrew, all had the same feedback so I am more than confident with our findings.

As for toe, I meant more(+)toe-out.

I did forget to ask one important question..what tires are you using?
Got ya. Sounds awesome. I was actually going the wrong way with front toe. I'll try more toe out as well as the bridge. As for tires, I'm running Sorex 28R premounted on Speedmind wheels. No clue what insert it comes with. Maybe a med~med/firm with medium air gap. For traction compound I'm running SXT 3.0. Full rears and half front 15 minutes before race time.
Old 10-16-2013, 03:04 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 16 (100%+)

Got ya. Sounds awesome. I was actually going the wrong way with front toe. I'll try more toe out as well as the bridge. As for tires, I'm running Sorex 28R premounted on Speedmind wheels. No clue what insert it comes with. Maybe a med~med/firm with medium air gap. For traction compound I'm running SXT 3.0. Full rears and half front 15 minutes before race time.
hi jimmy, how are ya doing?

for running on carpet, i would suggest run with spool instead of geardiff infront.
if you feel your rear moving too fast, u might consider using harder rear geardiff oil.

what bodyshell are you running ?
Old 10-16-2013, 03:49 AM
Tech Apprentice

@jimmymac,

I also had the same problem with te basic indoor setup from Ronald on a technical high byte track. (very similar to the ICC track)
I only had it with slow corners. I went from 2000 diff oil to 3000 and this helped a lot the first 10 laps, then the problem arises again because the diff oil gets thinner. I do have to try better quality oil because it feels like a diff whit 1000 cst after the run.

I also removed the ackerman shims as stated above en this also helped a lot.

I will be testing out the steeringrack bridge this weekend to see if its better. I remember my t3 007 also having a top deck post around that location and it made the car much more predictable on carpet.

I think the basic indoor setup from Ronald is a good starting point but it's more for ets style tracks whit flowing corners and the cars can keep more speed.
Old 10-16-2013, 04:39 AM
Tech Apprentice

In the UK all of the meetings i run at are on Sorex 32JB tyres. Sometimes use Sorex 28JB at my local club.

Most of the time on 28JB I would run with the steering bridge... The softer tyres can cause upredictable bite.

Not so much of a problem on 32JB and usually run without the bridge.

It will definately smooth out your car and be more predictable when running the bridge
Old 10-16-2013, 06:24 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 16 (100%+)

Originally Posted by sitting duck
@jimmymac,

I also had the same problem with te basic indoor setup from Ronald on a technical high byte track. (very similar to the ICC track)
I only had it with slow corners. I went from 2000 diff oil to 3000 and this helped a lot the first 10 laps, then the problem arises again because the diff oil gets thinner. I do have to try better quality oil because it feels like a diff whit 1000 cst after the run.

I also removed the ackerman shims as stated above en this also helped a lot.

I will be testing out the steeringrack bridge this weekend to see if its better. I remember my t3 007 also having a top deck post around that location and it made the car much more predictable on carpet.

I think the basic indoor setup from Ronald is a good starting point but it's more for ets style tracks whit flowing corners and the cars can keep more speed.
some race i run as hard as 5k in my rear geardiff...it's help alot to calm the rear down..

but it might slighlt affect your front steering response

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.