R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 10-15-2013, 07:22 PM   #2821
Tech Elite
 
JimmyMac's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2001
Location: NC
Posts: 4,343
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedBullFiXX View Post
Are you missing shims?
You should be able to tighten without any bind at all
I agree. You should be able to crank down on it and nothing should bind. In fact, I added a .1mm shim on top where the brace used to sit. This was done to take out slop. You can see no brace in my pic.

Question for you guys. What are you doing, on carpet, to keep the rear end planted? Mine seems to want to step on in the switch backs and mid corner to corner exit on tight corners. I've been fighting it for the past 2 weekends. I've ran Volker's starting indoor setup to no avail. I'm thinking about trying a front diff with 2.5mil in it. Any other suggestions? Thanks.

On another note, I dunno where to find the Nats Pack that is in stock. I did see it at Amain a week or two ago, but I wasn't looking into getting it. Now it's sold out. I thought there was another place, but I don't remember the name. It's not RCMarket, hmmm I dunno. I'll post up if I find it again.
__________________
M.J. McIntyre

R1Wurks
Yokomo YRX12
Ho-B Max
JimmyMac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2013, 08:21 PM   #2822
Tech Apprentice
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Posts: 59
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimmyMac View Post
I agree. You should be able to crank down on it and nothing should bind. In fact, I added a .1mm shim on top where the brace used to sit. This was done to take out slop. You can see no brace in my pic.

Question for you guys. What are you doing, on carpet, to keep the rear end planted? Mine seems to want to step on in the switch backs and mid corner to corner exit on tight corners. I've been fighting it for the past 2 weekends. I've ran Volker's starting indoor setup to no avail. I'm thinking about trying a front diff with 2.5mil in it. Any other suggestions? Thanks.

On another note, I dunno where to find the Nats Pack that is in stock. I did see it at Amain a week or two ago, but I wasn't looking into getting it. Now it's sold out. I thought there was another place, but I don't remember the name. It's not RCMarket, hmmm I dunno. I'll post up if I find it again.
I think most of your problem with overtseer(especially mid-corner) is the absence of the front steering bridge support. We tested this a few times this past week at the IIC(extremely high bite) and found that the bridge in made the car more predictable mid-corner. By the sounds of your description, I think you will like our setup..once I get it posted up. Also, if you have any bumpsteer shims, remove them - this will also help keep the car more predictable mid-corner. Here are a couple more things to try:

more front toe
lower rear inner link
more rear toe-in
thicker rear shock oil
more rear camber
less rear droop
CoreyW. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2013, 08:47 PM   #2823
Tech Elite
 
JimmyMac's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2001
Location: NC
Posts: 4,343
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoreyW. View Post
I think most of your problem with overtseer(especially mid-corner) is the absence of the front steering bridge support. We tested this a few times this past week at the IIC(extremely high bite) and found that the bridge in made the car more predictable mid-corner. By the sounds of your description, I think you will like our setup..once I get it posted up. Also, if you have any bumpsteer shims, remove them - this will also help keep the car more predictable mid-corner. Here are a couple more things to try:

more front toe
lower rear inner link
more rear toe-in
thicker rear shock oil
more rear camber
less rear droop
Darn, I thought about the bridge mounts, but didn't order any. I'll save that for next weeks order.

This is the setup I started with. http://www.petitrc.com/reglages/yoko...orSetup201211/

These are the changes I tried to no avail. Maybe helped a tad, but still tail happy. Cannot drive the car hard at all.

I changed front block 44.2mm ---> 43.5mm.
Rear inner link shim 0.5mm ---> none.
Rear camber -1.5 ---> -2.0.
Rear shock position 3 ---> 2.
Rear spring Blue ---> Black.

When you say front toe, do you mean add toe out or toe in? I ran about 0.5 toe out. I would like to try less rear droop. I'm guess it has something to do with chassis flex. It seems to be the characteristic that I'm noticing while driving it. You think that front mount will help this much? Hmmm it's only Tuesday... maybe I should make an order......

Thanks for your setup advice!
__________________
M.J. McIntyre

R1Wurks
Yokomo YRX12
Ho-B Max
JimmyMac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2013, 09:01 PM   #2824
Tech Elite
 
JimmyMac's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2001
Location: NC
Posts: 4,343
Default

Wait, you meant front steering bridge, not suspension mount... oops.. ok... got it. I thought about it, but someone told me it would make it worse. I should of listened to myself and my experience... hehe
__________________
M.J. McIntyre

R1Wurks
Yokomo YRX12
Ho-B Max
JimmyMac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2013, 09:10 PM   #2825
Tech Elite
 
Racing4Evo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Location: SoCal
Posts: 2,118
Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to Racing4Evo
Default

Run 0mm ackerman as in no shims and use .5mm wheel hex spacer in the rear. I guarantee you will understeer like a dump truck then find your happy medium for Ackerman.
Racing4Evo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2013, 09:12 PM   #2826
Tech Apprentice
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Posts: 75
Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)
Default

have you tried the thinner top plate? I run on carpet and having good results when my steering works properly. Ive just started running 17.5 boosted on a very low traction carpet course

I run a front diff with 500,000 cst
increase the rear droop
moved shock position to 2
softer black springs
2000 cst rear diff oil
high traction upper deck

sweep 24r tires.
jonston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2013, 09:23 PM   #2827
Tech Addict
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Bay Area, CA
Posts: 721
Trader Rating: 15 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to DJGonzo69
Default

Running outdoor asphalt this weekend and it's med-high grip. I need to get more corner speed mid turn & exit. It seems the car slows down while in the corner. I guess you can call it scrub speed? How can I get more corner speed?
Thx.-John
__________________
|XRAY|RCAmerica|Hobbywing|KO PROPO|Team Scream Motors|Gonzo PaintWorX|
DJGonzo69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2013, 09:26 PM   #2828
Tech Elite
 
JimmyMac's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2001
Location: NC
Posts: 4,343
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Racing4Evo View Post
Run 0mm ackerman as in no shims and use .5mm wheel hex spacer in the rear. I guarantee you will understeer like a dump truck then find your happy medium for Ackerman.
Yup, I took out the center link/Ackerman shims. Still no luck.The rear hex shims did cross my mind. I'll look into that. I'm guessing at lot of my problem has to do with chassis flex though. My track would be mid to high traction. That steering bridge may be my ticket.
__________________
M.J. McIntyre

R1Wurks
Yokomo YRX12
Ho-B Max
JimmyMac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2013, 09:30 PM   #2829
Tech Elite
 
JimmyMac's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2001
Location: NC
Posts: 4,343
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonston View Post
have you tried the thinner top plate? I run on carpet and having good results when my steering works properly. Ive just started running 17.5 boosted on a very low traction carpet course

I run a front diff with 500,000 cst
increase the rear droop
moved shock position to 2
softer black springs
2000 cst rear diff oil
high traction upper deck

sweep 24r tires.
I'm trying a front diff with 2.5m cst this weekend. I thought about the high traction top deck, but didn't feel like ordering from HK this week. I'm running Sorex 28R tires.
__________________
M.J. McIntyre

R1Wurks
Yokomo YRX12
Ho-B Max
JimmyMac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2013, 09:49 PM   #2830
Tech Apprentice
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Posts: 59
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimmyMac View Post
Wait, you meant front steering bridge, not suspension mount... oops.. ok... got it. I thought about it, but someone told me it would make it worse. I should of listened to myself and my experience... hehe
Correct - the bridge that connects the two steering posts to the upper deck. Ronald, Zdenko and Andrew, all had the same feedback so I am more than confident with our findings.

As for toe, I meant more(+)toe-out.

I did forget to ask one important question..what tires are you using?
CoreyW. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2013, 10:22 PM   #2831
Tech Elite
 
JimmyMac's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2001
Location: NC
Posts: 4,343
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoreyW. View Post
Correct - the bridge that connects the two steering posts to the upper deck. Ronald, Zdenko and Andrew, all had the same feedback so I am more than confident with our findings.

As for toe, I meant more(+)toe-out.

I did forget to ask one important question..what tires are you using?
Got ya. Sounds awesome. I was actually going the wrong way with front toe. I'll try more toe out as well as the bridge. As for tires, I'm running Sorex 28R premounted on Speedmind wheels. No clue what insert it comes with. Maybe a med~med/firm with medium air gap. For traction compound I'm running SXT 3.0. Full rears and half front 15 minutes before race time.
__________________
M.J. McIntyre

R1Wurks
Yokomo YRX12
Ho-B Max
JimmyMac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2013, 04:04 AM   #2832
Tech Elite
 
kschu's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Kota Kinabalu,Sabah
Posts: 4,598
Trader Rating: 16 (100%+)
Send a message via MSN to kschu
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimmyMac View Post
Got ya. Sounds awesome. I was actually going the wrong way with front toe. I'll try more toe out as well as the bridge. As for tires, I'm running Sorex 28R premounted on Speedmind wheels. No clue what insert it comes with. Maybe a med~med/firm with medium air gap. For traction compound I'm running SXT 3.0. Full rears and half front 15 minutes before race time.
hi jimmy, how are ya doing?

for running on carpet, i would suggest run with spool instead of geardiff infront.
if you feel your rear moving too fast, u might consider using harder rear geardiff oil.

what bodyshell are you running ?
__________________
Give the best while u can !
kschu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2013, 04:49 AM   #2833
Tech Apprentice
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Posts: 68
Default

@jimmymac,

I also had the same problem with te basic indoor setup from Ronald on a technical high byte track. (very similar to the ICC track)
I only had it with slow corners. I went from 2000 diff oil to 3000 and this helped a lot the first 10 laps, then the problem arises again because the diff oil gets thinner. I do have to try better quality oil because it feels like a diff whit 1000 cst after the run.

I also removed the ackerman shims as stated above en this also helped a lot.

I will be testing out the steeringrack bridge this weekend to see if its better. I remember my t3 007 also having a top deck post around that location and it made the car much more predictable on carpet.

I think the basic indoor setup from Ronald is a good starting point but it's more for ets style tracks whit flowing corners and the cars can keep more speed.
sitting duck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2013, 05:39 AM   #2834
Tech Initiate
 
Aaron_M's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Lincolnshire, UK
Posts: 49
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimmyMac View Post
Got ya. Sounds awesome. I was actually going the wrong way with front toe. I'll try more toe out as well as the bridge. As for tires, I'm running Sorex 28R premounted on Speedmind wheels. No clue what insert it comes with. Maybe a med~med/firm with medium air gap. For traction compound I'm running SXT 3.0. Full rears and half front 15 minutes before race time.
In the UK all of the meetings i run at are on Sorex 32JB tyres. Sometimes use Sorex 28JB at my local club.

Most of the time on 28JB I would run with the steering bridge... The softer tyres can cause upredictable bite.

Not so much of a problem on 32JB and usually run without the bridge.

It will definately smooth out your car and be more predictable when running the bridge
__________________
Yokomo BD7
Aaron_M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2013, 07:24 AM   #2835
Tech Elite
 
kschu's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Kota Kinabalu,Sabah
Posts: 4,598
Trader Rating: 16 (100%+)
Send a message via MSN to kschu
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by sitting duck View Post
@jimmymac,

I also had the same problem with te basic indoor setup from Ronald on a technical high byte track. (very similar to the ICC track)
I only had it with slow corners. I went from 2000 diff oil to 3000 and this helped a lot the first 10 laps, then the problem arises again because the diff oil gets thinner. I do have to try better quality oil because it feels like a diff whit 1000 cst after the run.

I also removed the ackerman shims as stated above en this also helped a lot.

I will be testing out the steeringrack bridge this weekend to see if its better. I remember my t3 007 also having a top deck post around that location and it made the car much more predictable on carpet.

I think the basic indoor setup from Ronald is a good starting point but it's more for ets style tracks whit flowing corners and the cars can keep more speed.
some race i run as hard as 5k in my rear geardiff...it's help alot to calm the rear down..

but it might slighlt affect your front steering response
__________________
Give the best while u can !
kschu is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
"TITC" THAILAND INTERNATIONAL TOURING CAR CHAMPIONSHIP 2006 John Doucakis Electric On-Road 233 03-20-2016 03:30 PM
Revolution Touring Car Championship 2005 (RTCC) SuPerDraGon Singapore R/C Racers 639 10-01-2005 04:25 AM
LRP Touring Car Masters 2005 V12 Electric On-Road 337 09-02-2005 01:43 PM



Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT -7. It is currently 01:28 PM.


Powered By: vBulletin v3.9.2.1
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Advertise Content © 2001-2011 RCTech.net

SEO by vBSEO 3.5.0