R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 06-06-2013, 06:06 PM   #2281
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cadman1981 View Post
I have to say, i really find this hard to understand.

The angle of the axle is never extreme to the point where the car scrubs speeds. In the front, i get it, when the front wheels turn left and right and go up and down. But in the rear, really? If i just think of the physics, and how much a sedan's suspension moves, with the camber changes, and toe angles...
i agree. dcjs have more play in them then regular cvds. i would think they would hurt more than help. I can't see a benefit of them in the rear
DOTMAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2013, 06:07 PM   #2282
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

Quote:

The angle of the axle is never extreme to the point where the car scrubs speeds. In the front, i get it, when the front wheels turn left and right and go up and down. But in the rear, really? If i just think of the physics, and how much a sedan's suspension moves, with the camber changes, and toe angles...
Thats why I didn't quite explain it. It doesn't make full sense to me either. The only and I mean only thing i can think of is with the cvd's if enough pressure was applied it could technically bind at the right angle. The DCJ's would leave that free.

Thats all I got.
Nitro GT
Wheeler and Mod Buggy
NolanP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2013, 06:07 PM   #2283
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 24 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to Dane Send a message via Skype™ to Dane

Quote:

I think it gets rid of the little bind of the cvds as the suspension compresses. Little being the key word there. Assuming they are the same length as the cvds they replace.
Old 06-06-2013, 07:22 PM   #2284
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)

Quote:

Generally, the standard driveshafts will bind up slightly more. This prevents the suspension from compressing quite as much and putting all pressure or load to the tire. This increases forward traction when you are first accelerating and tends to lock the back end in more.

When DCJ's are applied to the back, the car's rear suspension is free to comply more and absorb the weight transfer, but it wont transfer that load to the tires for that short period of time when first accelerating out of the corner, thus providing slightly more rear rotation.

People forget there is a difference between load transfer and weight transfer. Load transfer implies that there is a transfer in force or load directly to the tires. Weight transfer results in a change of center of gravity due to body roll, or pitch changes.
Pro Spec America/Apex RC - Team ORCA - Awesomatix USA - Roche RC USA - AVID - Sweep - Protoform - Pro-One RC - Slapmaster Tools - Hebiki Design Works - Turtlemaster Racing - Seattle RC Racers - Timezone Hobbies
Korey Harbke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2013, 09:13 PM   #2285
OVA
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 66 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Korey Harbke View Post
Generally, the standard driveshafts will bind up slightly more. This prevents the suspension from compressing quite as much and putting all pressure or load to the tire. This increases forward traction when you are first accelerating and tends to lock the back end in more.

When DCJ's are applied to the back, the car's rear suspension is free to comply more and absorb the weight transfer, but it wont transfer that load to the tires for that short period of time when first accelerating out of the corner, thus providing slightly more rear rotation.

People forget there is a difference between load transfer and weight transfer. Load transfer implies that there is a transfer in force or load directly to the tires. Weight transfer results in a change of center of gravity due to body roll, or pitch changes.
don't forget the diff height!!
OVA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2013, 11:56 PM   #2286
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 37 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by EDWARD2003 View Post
Started my build yesterday and everything so far has gone smoothly. However, when mounting the shock towers were a slight pain in the butt. You really have to apply a lot of pressure to fit on.

Also, after installing the center spur pulley unit, I noticed some side to side movement. Is this normal?

Cheers.

Edward
That happened to my towers also. I had to file the bottom edge that's close to the bulkhead. Once I did this, it fit right in easy.

Did you forget to add the 0.5 shim to remove the play?
Old 06-08-2013, 01:35 PM   #2287
Tech Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by bukil View Post
That happened to my towers also. I had to file the bottom edge that's close to the bulkhead. Once I did this, it fit right in easy.

Did you forget to add the 0.5 shim to remove the play?
Its not .5. But the shim will cause play as well. Make sure that you put in the proper screw with the proper screw head as well for the spur area. It actually pushes it out a little out as well.
Nitro GT
Wheeler and Mod Buggy
Old 06-08-2013, 08:22 PM   #2288
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by OVA View Post
don't forget the diff height!!
How does the diff height affect the car's handling? the height of the diff affects the weight transfer, correct? I had to loosen my belts which meant raising my diffs a little
1990s Futaba FXT stadium racer - Mint condition!
And a bunch of other RC kits for me and my kids...yeah...my kids...
Cadman1981 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2013, 08:24 PM   #2289
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Korey Harbke View Post

This makes a lot of sense, but i have to wonder if the rear moves enough to have that little bit of binding, with cars at 5mm from the ground, and it being an onroad car. I would have to test it to feel it.

Thank you for the clear input
1990s Futaba FXT stadium racer - Mint condition!
And a bunch of other RC kits for me and my kids...yeah...my kids...
Cadman1981 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2013, 08:30 PM   #2290
Tech Elite

Quote:
This makes a lot of sense, but i have to wonder if the rear moves enough to have that little bit of binding, with cars at 5mm from the ground, and it being an onroad car. I would have to test it to feel it.

Thank you for the clear input
I don't think you will notice it if the traction is lower. But if you look at almost all the high traction setups it lists dcj's in the rear
Nitro GT
Wheeler and Mod Buggy
Old 06-09-2013, 02:47 PM   #2291
Tech Master

Had the car out for the first time on asphalt today ....car was awesome used the ever so popular meen setup with the t-shox and the car was perfect went exactly where I wanted her to go ......this is the first car ive driven that's amazing on carpet and almost just as good on asphalt ....great all around car !
Old 06-09-2013, 05:37 PM   #2292
Tech Elite

Went blue fronts and yellow rear on asphalt with a 10.5 using Sorex 32's. car was pretty close to prefect.
Nitro GT
Wheeler and Mod Buggy
Old 06-09-2013, 06:10 PM   #2293
OVA
Tech Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by theatriks View Post
Had the car out for the first time on asphalt today ....car was awesome used the ever so popular meen setup with the t-shox and the car was perfect went exactly where I wanted her to go ......this is the first car ive driven that's amazing on carpet and almost just as good on asphalt ....great all around car !

I didn't find the right combo set up with the T-shox the works for me compare the Yokomo stock springs ( mine short shock)
what piston hole size and wt. oil and springs did you have ?
Old 06-09-2013, 06:12 PM   #2294
OVA
Tech Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by NolanP View Post
Went blue fronts and yellow rear on asphalt with a 10.5 using Sorex 32's. car was pretty close to prefect.
I ran blue & blue...on smooth and high speed track works for me.. 17.5 stock , team power 34's tires
Old 06-09-2013, 06:17 PM   #2295
Tech Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by theatriks View Post
Thats interesting to hear considering I don't think there is a car out there you haven't tried yet.
Nitro GT
Wheeler and Mod Buggy