R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 04-15-2013, 06:01 PM   #2041
Tech Champion

R/C Tech Elite Subscriber

Trader Rating: 34 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Racing4Evo View Post
Good job Dave! Only your first race with the car, maybe you'll win another Reedy Race of Champions soon?
Gotta win one in order to repeat
Hey Pete
Nice work dominating Sun, you were DIALED !
Quote:
Originally Posted by DOTMAN View Post
Nice job Dave. Do you have any plans to go to reedy? I'm taking my Yoks up there. It would be nice to have another Yokomo guy there
Had thought about it, but not likely
TC is more of a sideshow for me in the foreseeable future
It was fun racing with the Experts at TQ Sun
A lot of speed at the front
Quote:
Originally Posted by RAL View Post
Nice!
The db7 was pretty close on pace to Peter's with just the Umino Carpet setup
As the grip went up on raceday it needed a few minor adjustments to mellow mid-corner rotation
That is what I need to work on to have a more confidence inpiring car on raceday

"Men do not quit playing because they grow old; they grow old because they quit playing."
― Oliver Wendell Holmes Jr.
RedBullFiXX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2013, 07:24 AM   #2042
Tech Adept

you also have the experience that the standard rear hubs are weak
are the Graphite rear hub carriers much stronger than the standard rear hubs
I have no experience with Graphite rear hub carriers
peter. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2013, 07:39 AM   #2043
Tech Regular

Hey guys,

Was gonna check this on the BD-5 page but it's been inactive for quite awhile.

Will be picking up a BD5wx with zeppin chassis in a couple of days. My question is what does the BD7 have that it doesnt? I checked Yokomo's website but they're all in Japanese.

Also how competitive is the BD5 atm? Was planning to run it in stock class with my Eryx in mod but if it's still as competitive, I'm tempted to switch it around.
Driven with Sanwa M12
tak4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2013, 01:31 PM   #2044
gom
Tech Adept

Quote:
Originally Posted by tak4 View Post
Hey guys,

Was gonna check this on the BD-5 page but it's been inactive for quite awhile.

Will be picking up a BD5wx with zeppin chassis in a couple of days. My question is what does the BD7 have that it doesnt? I checked Yokomo's website but they're all in Japanese.

Also how competitive is the BD5 atm? Was planning to run it in stock class with my Eryx in mod but if it's still as competitive, I'm tempted to switch it around.
You'll be very pleased with the BD5wx. I was in the same boat as you are a few months ago when I bought a BD5wxi. So I asked around on the BD7 forum just like you. The responses I got was that they run similar lap times. This is from guys who own both the BD5 and BD7.

However, in terms of design and parts, they are quite different. A lot of newly designed parts in the BD7 including top and bottom chassis plate, shock towers, motor mount, bulk heads, servo mount, c-hubs, etc.

Despite the many differences, both cars perform equally well. At least on my track, we have 2 BD7's and my BD5wxi, and they all run nice and smooth. I believe all modern top model touring cars can be setup to fit everyone's taste.

You can use the BD5 in either stock and mod. Should be the same. I have driven a BD7 on our track as well as a Eryx. They all feel similar and run just the same as my BD5. Just have to set up right for your track. I have yet to see anyone here claims that their BD7 runs noticeably better than their BD5 assuming they own both.

The only thing I would recommand you to get is the new BD7 C-Hub if you are using DJC's. It more durable and fits much better with DJC's.
Old 04-17-2013, 12:15 AM   #2045
Tech Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by gom View Post
You'll be very pleased with the BD5wx. I was in the same boat as you are a few months ago when I bought a BD5wxi. So I asked around on the BD7 forum just like you. The responses I got was that they run similar lap times. This is from guys who own both the BD5 and BD7.

However, in terms of design and parts, they are quite different. A lot of newly designed parts in the BD7 including top and bottom chassis plate, shock towers, motor mount, bulk heads, servo mount, c-hubs, etc.

Despite the many differences, both cars perform equally well. At least on my track, we have 2 BD7's and my BD5wxi, and they all run nice and smooth. I believe all modern top model touring cars can be setup to fit everyone's taste.

You can use the BD5 in either stock and mod. Should be the same. I have driven a BD7 on our track as well as a Eryx. They all feel similar and run just the same as my BD5. Just have to set up right for your track. I have yet to see anyone here claims that their BD7 runs noticeably better than their BD5 assuming they own both.

The only thing I would recommand you to get is the new BD7 C-Hub if you are using DJC's. It more durable and fits much better with DJC's.

Sounds great and thanks for the quick reply. Can't wait to do a side by side performance comparison between a car from this season and one from the last. The best advice I've been given was to always but last season's car. Cheaper with similar performance.

Time to put it to the test.
Driven with Sanwa M12
Old 04-17-2013, 09:54 AM   #2046
Tech Regular

Quote:
The best advice I've been given was to always but last season's car. Cheaper with similar performance.
I can't really say I agree with that. I haven't seen many used BD5's for sale and new ones seem to be more expensive than a BD7

Also the team drivers will be using the latest car so it's much easier for them to help you out with the one they are running.
cyclonetog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2013, 01:19 PM   #2047
Tech Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by cyclonetog View Post
I can't really say I agree with that. I haven't seen many used BD5's for sale and new ones seem to be more expensive than a BD7

Also the team drivers will be using the latest car so it's much easier for them to help you out with the one they are running.
It depends on where you are from I guess. A new BD5wx here at the moment is about $100usd cheaper than a BD7. If the performance is up to par, that $100 will get you a good servo and a new cover. Or an ESC or motor.

The BD5wx i just bought cost me $150 where as a BD7 would be about $550. It's not new and probably has some battle scars but the original owner is a respectable racer who was driving his car up til last month (he assured me there is nothing wrong with the car). If the car checks out the extra $400 would really come in handy in terms of fresh electronics.

Don't get me wrong, I love new cars but it just makes a lot more sense to get an older car where I am from.
Driven with Sanwa M12
Old 04-17-2013, 01:24 PM   #2048
Tech Regular

If somebody offered me a wx for $150 I'd snap it up in a heartbeat, I just don't see them lol.
cyclonetog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2013, 01:30 PM   #2049
Tech Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by cyclonetog View Post
If somebody offered me a wx for $150 I'd snap it up in a heartbeat, I just don't see them lol.
It's one of the benefits of not having a rc scene here. Second hand cars (in really good condition) don't get much buyers so people sell them off at ridiculous prices.

We currently have an Eryx being sold for US$200, a 416x (in superb condition) on sale for $60, pretty sure it'll be gone by the end of the day. My T3'12 with XE-run electronics and savox servos was let go for $350 and the BD5wx i just got was $150 and he'll be passing me 2 extra chassis as well.

We have an amazing track but an rc community of only abt 50 ppl. 2 hobby shops selling limited brands. So everyone gets cars and parts from neighbouring countries and then sell them off at ridiculous prices when switching cars or brands.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tMqqcU_VlM0 Link of our track

There is a forum here on Brunei RC sellers and u can check out some of the deals you can get. Just divide the amount by 1.3 for US dollars. It's crazy but helps fuel an RC addiction lol.
Driven with Sanwa M12
Old 04-17-2013, 03:45 PM   #2050
gom
Tech Adept

Quote:
That track is beautiful. Makes me so jealous. I race at a track 1/4 the size of yours...
Old 04-18-2013, 07:40 AM   #2051
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 12 (100%+)

YOKOMO Alum. Servo Horn
Attached Thumbnails
YOKOMO Touring Car BD-7-yo-b7-204f.jpg   YOKOMO Touring Car BD-7-yo-b7-204sk.jpg  
RC MARKET is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2013, 11:34 AM   #2052
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 55 (100%+)

I plan to run a 96 spur with a 50 pinion to get around 3.8 fdr. How did you guys fit the pinion in? Did you remove the aluminum post?
Old 04-18-2013, 11:41 AM   #2053
OVA
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 67 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by hanzo3 View Post
I plan to run a 96 spur with a 50 pinion to get around 3.8 fdr. How did you guys fit the pinion in? Did you remove the aluminum post?
I'm running 84T spur and 44T pinion
OVA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2013, 07:46 PM   #2054
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 100 (100%+)

Quote:
I'm running the same ratio and its fine.
Old 04-22-2013, 08:36 PM   #2055
Tech Adept

R/C Tech Elite Subscriber

Quote:
YOKOMO Touring Car BD-7-grind.jpg

i ground mine as i run in the mid 3 FDR
T.O.P Racing USA, John's BSR Racing Tires, Gravity RC, R1werks, 3Racing, TQ Wire
jumpnjack is offline   Reply With Quote