R/C Tech Forums

R/C Tech Forums (https://www.rctech.net/forum/)
-   Electric On-Road (https://www.rctech.net/forum/electric-road-2/)
-   -   Acceleration problem!! (https://www.rctech.net/forum/electric-road/65081-acceleration-problem.html)

M.J 03-03-2005 06:10 AM

Acceleration problem!!

Hey guys

i am having a real problem with my car i am running a 9 single motor with a cyclone speedie. 16 tooth pinion as said in my manual and a 98 spur. with a JR xs3

When i accelerate it takes a long time to reach top speed unlike my other motors.

Any know how i can fix my problem????????????????????????????????????

M.J

Joel Lagace 03-03-2005 06:47 AM

The manual is only a starting point, u may need to drop a tooth or 2 still to get what u need. I find that manuals suggested ratios are way off for the racing i do. What size track do u run on?

-Is the motor brand new? Is the timing set right?

thecrow2k 03-03-2005 08:58 AM

19/98 is low imo, however ive never ran a low turn motor, maybe try going up a tooth or 2

Jon Kerr 03-03-2005 09:03 AM

First, what car are you running and what kind of motor is it? Is it new? How many runs are on it? Have you cut the comm? How old are the brushes? Can't figure out what gearing you're running without knowing the internal ratio of the car first.

MadMikeB 03-03-2005 02:21 PM

The manual is just a very broad approximation for gearing. I know on my T4 if I run my V2 12x1 with the gearing suggested in the manual it will come in totally cooking - the motor spray would just boil off the motor plate, and I generally need at least 2 teeth on the pin LESS than the manual.

If acceleration seems sluggish and you've ruled the motor, I guess some other electronic things should be checked: maybe you changed the punch setting on the speedie, or have you been playing with throttle expo on the Tx? Tx throttle EPA OK?

Let us know if you find out what'a happening.

M.J 03-03-2005 03:01 PM

Ok guys

The motor ios brand new never cut. speed controller works fine all in great condition.

Would i be better off going up or down a couple teeth?????

Please help me

Matt

Jon Kerr 03-03-2005 03:05 PM

Has the motor always been slow? How many runs on it? Low turn mods need to be cut and have new brushes every 1-2 runs normally. You may also want to check the timing on the motor. It would help to know that type of motor it is.

MadMikeB 03-03-2005 03:10 PM

As a general observation if acceleration is sluggish, then drop teeth on the pinion or add teeth on the spur.

Another question, is the motor really hot when you bring it in? If so that is another indication you need to drop some pinion teeth.

MIKE

Jack2 03-03-2005 06:23 PM

may sound dumb but make sure your diffs are nice and fresh and check belts etc. to make sure you haven't got sliping probs. the extra poke of a 9 turn may cause some probs. I run 8x1-7x1 V2's and they dont need to be cut that often. so it *shouldn't* be that

mb racer 03-03-2005 06:32 PM

just go up 2 teeth and youll be fine ... still dont know the ratio of your car .but this ahould do well for you .. keep chking the motor for het too ...

Jon Kerr 03-03-2005 06:36 PM

Originally posted by Jack2
may sound dumb but make sure your diffs are nice and fresh and check belts etc. to make sure you haven't got sliping probs. the extra poke of a 9 turn may cause some probs. I run 8x1-7x1 V2's and they dont need to be cut that often. so it *shouldn't* be that
But most other low turn motors will need to be cut that often. Try and run a KR 9x1 more than two runs on a cut and brushes. It'll feel like a 19 turn at best.

Jack2 03-03-2005 08:12 PM

Originally posted by Jon Kerr
But most other low turn motors will need to be cut that often. Try and run a KR 9x1 more than two runs on a cut and brushes. It'll feel like a 19 turn at best.
so true. you have to love V2's.

I think 2 teeth on the pinion or adding 5 teeth on the spur should make a huge difference tho

StasI 03-03-2005 09:49 PM

batts

what batteries you running??

Randy Caster 03-03-2005 10:55 PM

Originally posted by mb racer
just go up 2 teeth and youll be fine ... still dont know the ratio of your car .but this ahould do well for you .. keep chking the motor for het too ...
Going up 2 teeth will make the problem worse, going down a tooth or 2 would get the car up to top speed faster which seems to be his problem.

maxepower 03-03-2005 11:23 PM

Timing a ratio!

Your final gear ratio at the very least should be in the mid 8's and your timing better be advanced by at least 20 degrees or you'll kill the motor!
Just my 2!