Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Suggestion needed picking f1 car..

Search this Thread

Old 07-30-2012, 08:33 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 37 (100%+)
Default Suggestion needed picking f1 car..

As the tittle says I'm kind of lost at which one to go with. First of all I don't know much about them and I'm new to on road as well (only been racing for 2 months) but I hear they may have an f1 class coming up. Regardless if they do or don't I still would like to get one soon. I know there are quiet a few of them and been reading every single one of them threads, but it's kind of overwhelming all info from different cars at once.

So my question is which is the one you suggest going with?

Exotek
F104 v2
3racing fgx (maybe exotek conversation)
Whatever other f1 you suggest I'll look in to it.

I'm looking for some that's durable, I'm not a hacker but I don't want a weak car and would prefer some that has more tire/wheel ranger rather than have unique wheel firments. I was reading a section where they said the tamiyas are more fragile over the fgx? Also im sure the tamiyas would be more expensive to upgrade as well? Parts wise it won't matter much what the local shop carry as they won't carry any so anything will have to be ordered online.

Hope to get some good inputs rather than bumping the other threads thanks in advance
Old 07-30-2012, 01:16 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 21 (100%+)

Welcome to F1!

It depends on what type of surface you'll see yourself driving on most.

Broadly speaking, the independent suspension on the FGX is considered more versatile for various surfaces. However, if you're running primarily on carpet, direct drive of pan cars like the 104/104v2/F1R are considered to have more of an advantage.

Here's a great guide: http://uf1series.com/_sub_pages/2012/uf1_101.html

The info there is SLIGHTLY dated since it doesn't include the F104v2 and other new developments, but the fundamentals still apply.

IMHO, 104/F1R is more durable than the FGX. All chassis have their weak points, but FGX needs front arm upgrades badly. It also needs some slight mods to be competitive, but that probably comes out as a wash since the Tamiya variants have a higher base price.

There are also a lot of new developments in the F1 RC world which are making all platforms more competitive each day.
Old 07-30-2012, 02:02 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Just my thoughts.

http://www.rccartips.com/f1-rc-cars.htm

If someone new would approach me, either a Tamiya F104 (t-plate) or Sakura FGX (I can buy two for the price of 1 Tamiya).

The F104 v2... for me no good (overpriced, not so durable).
Exotek conversion for F104... links are too wide apart, the body side will not fit without cutting and making the body look ugly.

Hope it helps.
Old 07-30-2012, 02:08 PM
Tech Apprentice

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

From what I've seen and competed against at the races, it looks like a wash between the Exotek F1R and the Tamiya F104 ver. 2. Similarly, it looks like the newly released Top Rebel F1 (if used with the F104 front end), is also performing at the same level.

I have seen a stock F104 (no conversion) with just a few upgrades run equally with the above, so take that into consideration as well.

News from the F1 racing world is as long as power is limited to Silver Can or 21.5, then the FGX is a bit down on speed-as is also the case in our local club races. I'm guessing the only place the FGX will start to excel is if the surface is un-prepared and/or bumpy. They are also @ 250g heavier than a stock F104 even with the heavy pivot post (+40g) and counterweight (+20g) on the F104.

With the exception of maybe this one gent from Texas, it seems that there are fewer people running the FGX.

If I were to buy a kit right now, it would have to be the Tamiya F104 ver. 2. You can race it at Tamiya races, ROAR races, and UF1.
Old 07-30-2012, 02:34 PM
Tech Master

Thanks for the lengthy replies!!

The track is out doors, it's rough with about 1/4-1/2 inch cracks semi filled and somewhat bumpy. The rumor is that they may re-pave it but I'm not exactly sure when that will happen. Rccartip can you post a photo of the body issue you're describing? Been doing off-road for 2 years and so far I'm digging on road scene and the environment much better at this point. It will be a few weeks until I can pull the plug on a new one since i would like to start fresh and get familiar with it.

What are some of the must haves for the 104-v2 and exotek kits out of the box?
I guess it's kind of between the exotek f1 and 104-v2

Thanks for the link also. I'm going through different thread and writing down info as I read it for each model.
Old 07-30-2012, 02:53 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 34 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Mr.juarez
Thanks for the lengthy replies!!

The track is out doors, it's rough with about 1/4-1/2 inch cracks semi filled and somewhat bumpy. The rumor is that they may re-pave it but I'm not exactly sure when that will happen. Rccartip can you post a photo of the body issue you're describing? Been doing off-road for 2 years and so far I'm digging on road scene and the environment much better at this point. It will be a few weeks until I can pull the plug on a new one since i would like to start fresh and get familiar with it.

What are some of the must haves for the 104-v2 and exotek kits out of the box?
I guess it's kind of between the exotek f1 and 104-v2

Thanks for the link also. I'm going through different thread and writing down info as I read it for each model.
Check the VII link in my sig, for tons of info VII related
imo, the VII is the top of the line "Race Car"
For parking lot bashing it is overkill, but still a cool ride
Old 07-30-2012, 02:58 PM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by RedBullFiXX
Check the VII link in my sig, for tons of info VII related
imo, the VII is the top of the line "Race Car"
For parking lot bashing it is overkill, but still a cool ride
Thats awesome!!! Gotta sell my like new 8e and get one f1 even it's if it's for a shelf queen thanks for the link I'll read the entire article tonight!!
Old 07-30-2012, 03:48 PM
R/C Tech Elite Member

If you want to spend $ in stages a good plan is to buy the Tamiya Mclaren kit then later buy the Exotek F1R to upgrade it
Also buy some Pit Shimizu 571/572 tires
Old 07-30-2012, 04:03 PM
Tech Regular

I am very proud of my Roche Rapide carbon conversion, good for F104 + rubbers config and also F103+ foams config.