Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road
Tamiya TA-07 ground clearance, or other nicer ideas >

Tamiya TA-07 ground clearance, or other nicer ideas

Tamiya TA-07 ground clearance, or other nicer ideas

Old 01-17-2021, 07:21 AM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)
Default Tamiya TA-07 ground clearance, or other nicer ideas

I am looking for a nicer touring car that I can run along the street and parking lots for fun outside when I can't get in to a track to run my xrays.

I know the TT-02 can have respectable ground clearance given it is also the basis for some rally cars. How about the TA-07? I am debating between the TA-07 pro kit for about $35 more than a TT-02RR, but given my use case I dunno if the TA-07 will work out ok on less than ideal surfaces.
Old 01-17-2021, 08:11 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 50 (100%+)

I have both cars. Ta07 will give you about 6mm of ground clearance. You can change the shock ends to a long one and get another 2-3 mm. put on some rally tires and be good to go. You can also buy the yeah racing damper set for 30.00 and get the 60mm set and they are nice as the ones that come with the ta07pro. The 07 will not be as good in really dirty situations as it will require you to brake it down alot because the belt will carry the dirt into the diff case like a conveyor belt. the tt02 is shaft and sealed well. TT02 also has more ground clearance. If you are doing rough parking lot racing and some rally style I would go for the tt02. You will be surprised how well the chassis works.
Old 01-17-2021, 08:16 AM
Tech Elite

Here's a picture of my '07 which I'm actually about to list for sale in my opinion this is more of a race chassis but as you can see this one as it sits is has about $900 into it and it has open diffs so it would work well so if you were to get a TI-07 and open the diffs by getting the aluminum diff cases halves you could see that the dirt would flow in and out of this chassis easily but everything else would get very dirty electronics and all. Would definitely work . On the other hand option parts for the TTO2 are extremely inexpensive and it's a fun car to play around with and hop up
Old 01-17-2021, 08:18 AM
Tech Elite

Here is my TTO2R which I use for practice and rally racing and just general all around bashing and it is amazing I've even set it up for VTA and done incredibly well with it it is virtually indestructible it's really nice to raise the shock absorbers throw some rally tires on it and a Subaru body and run it on and off road track
Old 01-17-2021, 08:19 AM
Tech Elite

Xv01 is a dedicated rally chassis and has more ground clearance. Tt01 and tt02 both have quite good ground clearance and are a good choice for street bashing. The standard suspension is a bit crude in my opinion but does what it's intended to do.

I don't think I'd buy a ta07 for street bashing, it has the same basic geometry as the TRF cars and is really meant for a prepared surface.
Old 01-17-2021, 08:20 AM
Tech Elite

Here you can see the back of my TTO2 I've put the long shock ends on it and the shocks are on the lower position of the arm All I have to do is move the ball into the upper position of the arm and the car has 8 mm of ground clearance throw on some rally tires and this thing rocks very easy to keep clean The tub chassis believe it or not does a pretty good job of keeping stuff out and it's really easy to make some lexan dirt shields to attach to the chassis to help keep the dirt out even more whichever way you go you'll have fun but my vote would be for the TTO2 as I have used both extensively and honestly this car is the ultimate basher/capable racer Good luck
Old 01-17-2021, 08:49 AM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

Yeah, I think you guys just confirmed my thought. I have a base tt02 I've left completely stock that is good for tooling around in and letting my kiddo play with. I'll get the tt02r and see what kind of performance I can squeeze out without worrying about tearing up the chassis