R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Like Tree1Likes

Old 02-26-2013, 01:12 PM   #1471
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 15 (100%+)

Guys.

It takes time, I only started drifting a month or 2 a go and I wouldn't say I am a pro drifter but I would say I am comfortable to doing long sweeping drifts, circle work and switch backs.

And I went through everything your describing, the car spinning in place, the arse swinging round too far and I can tell you now there is 3 things you are doing wrong.

1) Lack of Practice
2) Too heavy with the throttle!
3) Tyres

The 2nd one is the most important! Use your throttle to control the angle of your drift, use your brake to break traction and initiate the drift.

The 1 main thing which really makes or breaks this car is the Front One Way. Its like a totally new car once its installed.
Old 02-26-2013, 01:33 PM   #1472
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

There are always numerous ways of tuning the car.
I am using Losi oil 35wt all around. And then using 3racing D3 springs blue and purple front and rear.
And I am looking that set up right now.

Last edited by eunique; 02-27-2013 at 01:51 AM.
eunique is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2013, 05:28 PM   #1473
Tech Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by eunique View Post
There are always numerous ways of tuning the car.
I am using Losi oil 35wt all around. And then using 3racing D3 springs blue and people front and rear.
And I am looking that set up right now.
people=purple etc lol you using your phone with auto correct on
pickled is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2013, 05:58 PM   #1474
Tech Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cloaked View Post
Guys.

It takes time, I only started drifting a month or 2 a go and I wouldn't say I am a pro drifter but I would say I am comfortable to doing long sweeping drifts, circle work and switch backs.

And I went through everything your describing, the car spinning in place, the arse swinging round too far and I can tell you now there is 3 things you are doing wrong.

1) Lack of Practice
3) Tyres

The 2nd one is the most important! Use your throttle to control the angle of your drift, use your brake to break traction and initiate the drift.

The 1 main thing which really makes or breaks this car is the Front One Way. Its like a totally new car once its installed.
hey I still spin in transitions lol. it takes serious practice to just get good enough to get round a track. I take my cars to my kids school every day to practice just before they get out.
pickled is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2013, 06:14 PM   #1475
Tech Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by pickled View Post
hey I still spin in transitions lol. it takes serious practice to just get good enough to get round a track. I take my cars to my kids school every day to practice just before they get out.
I will have to take a picture of my lil track setup at home.

Its a shame, we are moving soon to look after my Fiance's nan so I have to give up my polished concrete training ground.

So I am either going to have to get my fix at work (but thats sketchy as security hates me for some reason) or I turn my D3 CS into a touring car.... or I sell it and buy a touring car to get into on road.

As it stands I have about a month left of Drifting
Old 02-26-2013, 08:22 PM   #1476
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to M-chassisMark

I got my car up and running for the first time last night. I was lost for the first few minutes and had to forget everything I know about r/c drifting or rather, driving an r/c car at all! Its so different.

For you guys that are struggling, one thing that might help you is a faster servo. I have a very fast Savox and catching the rear end/transitioning isn't a problem at all for me. I feel like if I had a slower servo it would be hard to keep up with the rate that the car wants to rotate. The hardest part for me was the straight-stretch on our track. I bet I spun 9 out of 10 times down the straight.

This is the track I was running on. Not nearly slow/tight enough for this car in my opinion, and needs less straight stretch, but after 15min of practice I had the driving style down quite well.

Old 02-27-2013, 01:52 AM   #1477
Tech Regular

Lol....thanks Pickled...corrected the purple springs in my post above
Old 02-27-2013, 05:34 AM   #1478
Tech Initiate

Quote:
Originally Posted by M-chassisMark View Post
I got my car up and running for the first time last night. I was lost for the first few minutes and had to forget everything I know about r/c drifting or rather, driving an r/c car at all! Its so different.

For you guys that are struggling, one thing that might help you is a faster servo. I have a very fast Savox and catching the rear end/transitioning isn't a problem at all for me. I feel like if I had a slower servo it would be hard to keep up with the rate that the car wants to rotate. The hardest part for me was the straight-stretch on our track. I bet I spun 9 out of 10 times down the straight.

Sick FD!!
i love how you made the rear diffuser fit the body, i however cut the diffuser to make it fit LOL, now i see yours makes me want to order a new rear diffuser and re-do it
kotar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2013, 05:42 AM   #1479
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 20 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cloaked View Post
Guys.

1) Lack of Practice
3) Tyres

Yeah, I'll be the first to admit I need lots of practice with a front motor car with CS!

Your comment about the front one way was interesting, though. I picked one up because they were in stock and I thought I may want to try it one day as my skills improved. Would you suggest learning with it initially or would it be best to wait to install it?
Tommy R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2013, 05:58 AM   #1480
Tech Apprentice

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Have there been any revisions/improvements to this kit since its release? Or do you still have to address wobbly spurs, weak springs, leaky shocks, steering slop, belt tension, and belt wear with upgrades/mods?
speedy_w_beans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2013, 08:16 AM   #1481
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to M-chassisMark

Quote:
Originally Posted by kotar View Post
Sick FD!!
i love how you made the rear diffuser fit the body, i however cut the diffuser to make it fit LOL, now i see yours makes me want to order a new rear diffuser and re-do it
Thanks; I wish the bumper was a little closer to the diffuser, or that the diffuser actually stuck out from the bumper so you could see it better but thats basically what I was going for.
Old 02-27-2013, 10:41 AM   #1482
Tech Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by speedy_w_beans View Post
Have there been any revisions/improvements to this kit since its release? Or do you still have to address wobbly spurs, weak springs, leaky shocks, steering slop, belt tension, and belt wear with upgrades/mods?
Wobbly spurs...depends on how you install it if you mounted it flush.
Weak springs...crank down on the shock collars
Leaky shocks...didn't have problems with it...assemble it correctly, they are fine...although most shocks leak
Steering slop...use washers on steering arms and better ball ends
Belt tension...CF chassis or Zero S belt tensioner
Belt wear...don't have a problem with mine.

Our you can look at a top end $1,000 front motor CS drift chassis which you might not need to buy upgrades for.
MOST chassis out there..you need upgrades or hop ups
Old 02-27-2013, 11:29 AM   #1483
Tech Apprentice

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Quote:
Wobbly spurs...depends on how you install it if you mounted it flush.
Weak springs...crank down on the shock collars
Leaky shocks...didn't have problems with it...assemble it correctly, they are fine...although most shocks leak
Steering slop...use washers on steering arms and better ball ends
Belt tension...CF chassis or Zero S belt tensioner
Belt wear...don't have a problem with mine.

Our you can look at a top end $1,000 front motor CS drift chassis which you might not need to buy upgrades for.
Thanks. I've been watching this thread for the past six months and have seen quite a few upgrades/mods done by several owners. It seemed like people were discovering all sorts of issues in the earliest posts here. I just wondered if 3Racing had made any design updates in newer kits.
speedy_w_beans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2013, 12:58 PM   #1484
Tech Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tommy R View Post
Yeah, I'll be the first to admit I need lots of practice with a front motor car with CS!

Your comment about the front one way was interesting, though. I picked one up because they were in stock and I thought I may want to try it one day as my skills improved. Would you suggest learning with it initially or would it be best to wait to install it?
I would yes, I tried the car without it and hated it and was ready to sell it. After advice from here I installed the FOW and now I love the damn thing.

Quote:
Wobbly spurs...
- Dont have this.
Quote:
Weak springs...
- Set of Yeah Racing springs is like $10 or crank down the collars and add a preload clip.
Quote:
Leaky shocks...
- Mine leak no worse then the Big Bores on my Losi 22.
Quote:
Steering slop...
-mNot as much as my off road cars.
Quote:
Belt tension...
- Do the washer mod to the rear pulley guide.
Quote:
Belt wear...
- After about 20 packs I dont have any belt slip.

Quote:
Or you can look at a top end $1,000 front motor CS drift chassis which you might not need to buy upgrades for.
For a $1000 dollars it better come with its own track and demo girls.
Old 02-28-2013, 12:30 AM   #1485
Tech Regular

so...for those that are now using the Speed Passion Reventon Pro
I had updated the firmware on the program box and connected my ESC to computer and program box..downloaded the Drift program settings and that was what I had loaded into the Reventon Pro...on second day of practicing, first turn on the Reventon and get on throttle..no go, no power, no reverse, just flashing light and beeping/electronic sound...almost like something was stuck and the motor would not spin. I power down and turn back on, it starts to work...not even a couple of minutes, lost power like it was in heat protection mode (thought it was better, although thought it was fully charged) replaced battery, same problem. then, my MMM V3 motor 10.5T started to smoke, I shut off everything and disconnect battery. Replaced the motor with the tried and trusted 8.5T Hobbywing...same exact problems like the competition V3 motor that was combo deal with the Reventon Pro....and started to smoke also....shut down everything, disconnect the sensor leads and BAM...it works and I am able to finish the battery pack. 2nd pack..halfway, connect sensor lead and works for about 5 minutes..then power loss..disconnect sensor lead and finish pack. All that was on new sensor lead (what came with Reventon was too short)...old sensor lead from Hobbywing broke some wires when I disconnected from Hobbywing.

I tried refreshing everything...connect to computer, reupload program and ESC, rebind with Tx/Rx....same problems. I start doing research on Reventon...found posts for similar problems, tried those other suggestions found and still no solution....next, called Speed Passion customer service, known problem, troubleshoot, still no solutions. They would not warranty my Reventon Pro since bought outside USA. They said I had to do through rcmart for warranty. Rcmart agreed to take care of problem after I send back unit to Hong Kong.

Last night (night before I was going to send back to rcmart), disassembled everything, re-hooked-up, suspect connection with sensor leads, test run with Hobbywing 8.5T motor and EVERYTHING WORKS GOOD!!! Disassemble and reconnect my MMM Competition V3 10.5T motor and everything works good with sensor mode, no smoking, no overheat protection, no bells and whistles going off, excellent power and smooth delivery!
Now, I am extremely happy with my Reventon Pro and better that I'm not going to be without it for weeks...practiced on some laps around the new drift track at my LHS...and so far no problems. Guess I won't need to send my Speed Passion combo out back to rcmart anymore. Whew!

Last edited by eunique; 02-28-2013 at 12:47 AM.