Search
Like Tree2Likes

3 Racing Sakura D3 CS Drift

Search this Thread

Old 02-01-2013, 01:00 PM
Tech Initiate

Originally Posted by Tommy R
Hey folks,

I'm >this< close to picking up a D3 CS, but I have a few questions and hopefully you all can help me out.

- What pulley(s) is(are) needed to remove the countersteer? I'm not too accomplished as a drifter and would like the option to remove or at least reduce the CS ratio. Would new belts be needed?

- I know the car could really use a belt tensioner, aluminum steering linkage, and spur gear mount. What else would you recommend I purchase when I place the order? SSK axles, perhaps? Front or rear bulkheads? I'll be running pretty much exclusively on concrete or asphalt, no carpet (in case that matters).

- For now I'm planning on running brushed. Probably a 27t Axial motor. Suggestions on pinion size? If I really like the car I'll look into a brushless combo and maybe converting to 64p. For now, I'll keep it 48p.

Thanks in advance!
Tommy
Welcome! I'd highly recommend the D3. Personally, I've just stuck with the stock CS ratio and yes, it is a bit difficult in the beginning but it isn't too bad. However, if you do want to reduce the ratio simply decreasing the rear 22T pully should help with that, but I'm no expert.

I'd highly recommend some SSK's to get rid of the wheel chatter. You also most definitely should get the front one way! It'll save your front belt in the long run. Front and rear bulkheads are nice since they stiffen up the chassis quite a bit imo. The aluminum steering is nice, but I would recommend getting new ball ends to reduce the play
Old 02-01-2013, 01:01 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Tommy R
Hey folks,

I'm >this< close to picking up a D3 CS, but I have a few questions and hopefully you all can help me out.

- What pulley(s) is(are) needed to remove the countersteer? I'm not too accomplished as a drifter and would like the option to remove or at least reduce the CS ratio. Would new belts be needed?

- I know the car could really use a belt tensioner, aluminum steering linkage, and spur gear mount. What else would you recommend I purchase when I place the order? SSK axles, perhaps? Front or rear bulkheads? I'll be running pretty much exclusively on concrete or asphalt, no carpet (in case that matters).

- For now I'm planning on running brushed. Probably a 27t Axial motor. Suggestions on pinion size? If I really like the car I'll look into a brushless combo and maybe converting to 64p. For now, I'll keep it 48p.

Thanks in advance!
Tommy
Replacing the 22t pulley with an 18T pulley will bring it down to 1.75
CS ratio...or with 16T pulley to 1.56 CS ratio
But I would just suggest to keep practicing with stock ratio and soon you will get to tame it and get used to it.
SSK axles would be a definite must get so u don't have chatter.
For ESC and motor, it might be ok for now but a sensored motor brushless ESC combo would be highly suggested so you can do smoother drifts
Old 02-01-2013, 01:18 PM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by bennychen
I couldn't figure out how to connect this ESC and motor together, it's a combo from Speed Passion, Reventor R esc, kindly advice, I've attached a picture as well, Thanks!

http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images...0202024220.jpg
I have a speed passion combo as well...looks like they put connectors on the end of ESC wires also. Just pull off those connectors (the "U" shaped ears) on the end of the motor...they just slide off. Inside that will be small banana connectors. Then you can just plug in the ends of those wires to the banana connectors on the end bell of the motor

Posted your pic also

Last edited by eunique; 02-01-2013 at 02:21 PM.
Old 02-01-2013, 04:42 PM
Tech Addict

Originally Posted by eunique
I have a speed passion combo as well...looks like they put connectors on the end of ESC wires also. Just pull off those connectors (the "U" shaped ears) on the end of the motor...they just slide off. Inside that will be small banana connectors. Then you can just plug in the ends of those wires to the banana connectors on the end bell of the motor

Posted your pic also
anyone know where to get the banana connectors for the motors from my HW combo didn't come with any so I had to solder the wires directly to the connections?
Old 02-01-2013, 04:58 PM
Tech Apprentice

img405.imageshack.us/img405/1719/20130202024220.jpg
Posted your pic also
Yes it works! Many Thanks
Old 02-01-2013, 07:00 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 15 (100%+)

So since tightened the belts the car sometimes cuts out.

It's either the BEC being overdrawn or the esc getting too hot.

So I installed a UBEC and put a fan on the ESC, hopefully that will cut down the heat.

It's a bugger I thought I would be able to keep using the HW JustStock 45amp ESC with my 13.5T, but now that its cutting out with the 17.5T I dunno.

What ESC and motor does everyone recommend from Hobbyking.
Old 02-01-2013, 08:29 PM
Tech Apprentice

I got a Gens Ace Lipo 7000mah 2S1P 50C, behind the battery is labeled Never charge above 5C, what is the maximum amp I can charge this Lipo?
Old 02-01-2013, 08:42 PM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by bennychen
I got a Gens Ace Lipo 7000mah 2S1P 50C, behind the battery is labeled Never charge above 5C, what is the maximum amp I can charge this Lipo?
1000 mah = 1 amp.

7 x 5 = 35.

35 amps.

But if you want the battery to last. Charge it at 1 C, IE 7amps.
Old 02-01-2013, 09:27 PM
Tech Apprentice

Originally Posted by Cloaked
1000 mah = 1 amp.

7 x 5 = 35.

35 amps.

But if you want the battery to last. Charge it at 1 C, IE 7amps.
That's a very high charge rate

Thanks for your advice
Old 02-01-2013, 10:55 PM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by pickled
anyone know where to get the banana connectors for the motors from my HW combo didn't come with any so I had to solder the wires directly to the connections?
Hobbypartz.com has them. That's where I gOt mine from and where I bought my Xerun combos from.
Old 02-01-2013, 11:38 PM
Tech Master

Mad, I just burnt out 2! BlueBird BMS 621MG Servo's.

To be fair it was after about 20 minutes of running and they were near 100* Celcius when they died.

Hmmm, Think Ill have to turn my drift runs down to 10 or so minutes at a time.
Old 02-01-2013, 11:42 PM
Tech Initiate

Originally Posted by Cloaked
Mad, I just burnt out 2! BlueBird BMS 621MG Servo's.

To be fair it was after about 20 minutes of running and they were near 100* Celcius when they died.

Hmmm, Think Ill have to turn my drift runs down to 10 or so minutes at a time.
wow! i've never heard of that happening before. Also, regarding your post about the car cutting out a lot, maybe its possible there is some extra friction somewhere? maybe something is out of alignment, and with belt driven RC, it is possible to have the belts too tight which causes more drag. When you press down on your belts there should be some give.

I think you should also check your trim points on your steering too. Ive been running a bluebird 661DMG and would run it for hours on at a time without it getting warm. I'd suggest turning the steering to full lock then decreasing the trim until the steering angle starts to decrease then bump it up another notch again and stop there. If your trim is too high it can cause the servo to keep trying to push the steering even though it is stopped mechanically, causing it to heat up.
Old 02-02-2013, 02:10 AM
Tech Rookie

You'il cs tommy how much?
Old 02-02-2013, 03:06 AM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by mrjfang
wow! i've never heard of that happening before. Also, regarding your post about the car cutting out a lot, maybe its possible there is some extra friction somewhere? maybe something is out of alignment, and with belt driven RC, it is possible to have the belts too tight which causes more drag. When you press down on your belts there should be some give.

I think you should also check your trim points on your steering too. Ive been running a bluebird 661DMG and would run it for hours on at a time without it getting warm. I'd suggest turning the steering to full lock then decreasing the trim until the steering angle starts to decrease then bump it up another notch again and stop there. If your trim is too high it can cause the servo to keep trying to push the steering even though it is stopped mechanically, causing it to heat up.

Hmm I didnt think of the binding issue....

Its weird cause its only happend since I put the Aluminium Steering rack in. Ill check the end points once the new servo arrives. I know the BMS-621MG is good, I have run it in my 22 buggy for a year with no problems so its gotta be something else.
Old 02-02-2013, 10:25 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 21 (100%+)

Originally Posted by mrjfang
Welcome! I'd highly recommend the D3. Personally, I've just stuck with the stock CS ratio and yes, it is a bit difficult in the beginning but it isn't too bad. However, if you do want to reduce the ratio simply decreasing the rear 22T pully should help with that, but I'm no expert.

I'd highly recommend some SSK's to get rid of the wheel chatter. You also most definitely should get the front one way! It'll save your front belt in the long run. Front and rear bulkheads are nice since they stiffen up the chassis quite a bit imo. The aluminum steering is nice, but I would recommend getting new ball ends to reduce the play
Thanks a lot! How much differently does the car handle on asphalt with the front one way? That's great that it would help save the front belt, but does it make the turn-in too quick? That was really my only hesitation.

Any recommendations on ball ends I should get? I would prefer to get this stuff ahead of time so I can use it when I do the initial assembly. I don't want to do everything twice!

Replacing the 22t pulley with an 18T pulley will bring it down to 1.75
CS ratio...or with 16T pulley to 1.56 CS ratio
But I would just suggest to keep practicing with stock ratio and soon you will get to tame it and get used to it.
SSK axles would be a definite must get so u don't have chatter.
For ESC and motor, it might be ok for now but a sensored motor brushless ESC combo would be highly suggested so you can do smoother drifts
SSKs are definitely in my shopping cart! I'll try the stock CS ratio. I admit, I'm just a bit gun shy of CS since I'm only a mediocre drifter at the moment. No time like the present to learn, though, right?

Oh, one more question! Does the D3 accept fullsize servos or do I need a slim style?

Thanks again!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.