R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Like Tree1Likes
Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 01-29-2013, 08:35 AM   #1306
Tech Regular
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: Gilroy, CA
Posts: 477
Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)
Default

Did you loose the motor fan?
eunique is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2013, 08:44 AM   #1307
Tech Initiate
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Posts: 42
Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by eunique View Post
Did you loose the motor fan?
Well I loosened the screws then took it off, no need for it, I'm running very conservative gearing. When I start running on bigger tracks I'll see if I need it.
saturnv7890 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2013, 01:12 PM   #1308
Tech Master
 
Cloaked's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Sydney, Australia
Posts: 1,203
Trader Rating: 15 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by pickled View Post
what motor are you running now?
17.5T Reedy Sonic with high Torque rotor.
__________________
Nothing...
Cloaked is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2013, 05:20 PM   #1309
Tech Regular
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: Gilroy, CA
Posts: 477
Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)
Default

First Impressions: Speed Passion Reventon Pro with 10.5T V3 motor
wow!!! it's very smooth...linear. I don't know if I'm just getting more comfortable and better at this CS (finesse) drifting or what or if it's my new ESC/motor combo or maybe a combination of both...but, it's very good. Speed Passion had a Drift spec settings download for the Reventon and I uploaded that to my ESC. I turned down the brakes, Punch level 3 and it's been running good...again not using as much steering input.
At least, not as much as before. Now, I'm able to utilize the ratio of the D3 to let the rear kick out and instead of being afraid of that rear end loosing...I am not able to utilize it and use it to the advantage of getting that angle and let the steering lock as you induce more smooth throttle. And I am also able to start picking up speed as well when I want to.
eunique is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2013, 05:36 PM   #1310
Tech Addict
 
pickled's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Posts: 533
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by saturnv7890 View Post
Woo finally caught up with this decade. Got myself a sensored brushless setup!! (coming from a silver can brushed motor)

The goodies I got in the mail were a 120a esc from hobbyking (exact copy of the hobbywing 120a) and then from hobbypartz: tacon 3 pole 8.5t motor, solar d770 servo, and a 7.2v UBEC.

The servo is insane! Especially with the 7.2 UBEC.
And the brushless setup is perfect, very fast, very smooth, just what I wanted.

Now I just have to pick up a sensored motor for the SCT, sensorless stuff isn't fun.

Highly recommended for a cheap brushless setup. Paid $35 for the esc and $35 for the motor.
so are you able to run hobbywing firmware on it?

Quote:
Originally Posted by eunique View Post
First Impressions: Speed Passion Reventon Pro with 10.5T V3 motor
wow!!! it's very smooth...linear. I don't know if I'm just getting more comfortable and better at this CS (finesse) drifting or what or if it's my new ESC/motor combo or maybe a combination of both...but, it's very good. Speed Passion had a Drift spec settings download for the Reventon and I uploaded that to my ESC. I turned down the brakes, Punch level 3 and it's been running good...again not using as much steering input.
At least, not as much as before. Now, I'm able to utilize the ratio of the D3 to let the rear kick out and instead of being afraid of that rear end loosing...I am not able to utilize it and use it to the advantage of getting that angle and let the steering lock as you induce more smooth throttle. And I am also able to start picking up speed as well when I want to.
I find I'm able to drive in a straight line now with out it spinning out to much it surprised me the other day I was expecting it to spin and it didn't lol
well I ordered the SP reventon pro and 8.5T v3 combo because still can't get reverse on my HW 120A xerun waiting for the program box to come so I can flash an upgrade to it but till then I'll be happy with forward. guess I'll end up putting the HW into an Eagle racing chassis if I can get reverse out of it
pickled is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2013, 05:44 PM   #1311
Tech Initiate
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Posts: 42
Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by pickled View Post
so are you able to run hobbywing firmware on it?

People have posted reviews saying they can. I have a USB link coming from HK in the next week, so I will be able to tell you if it works that way.

If not, then it'll probably work with the hobbywing programming station thing they have.
saturnv7890 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2013, 07:01 PM   #1312
Tech Regular
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: Gilroy, CA
Posts: 477
Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by pickled View Post
so are you able to run hobbywing firmware on it?



I find I'm able to drive in a straight line now with out it spinning out to much it surprised me the other day I was expecting it to spin and it didn't lol
well I ordered the SP reventon pro and 8.5T v3 combo because still can't get reverse on my HW 120A xerun waiting for the program box to come so I can flash an upgrade to it but till then I'll be happy with forward. guess I'll end up putting the HW into an Eagle racing chassis if I can get reverse out of it
did you ever have reverse on it?
I have reverse on my Hobbywing 120A ESC V2.1 (i think)...I had it after updating the software on the program box and then picked the FWD, REVERSE, BRAKE mode.

Do you guys not have that on your 120A HW? I didn't know that this was problem..but, I have always had it. I had the combo...so I have always had a program box with mine.

what I am tempted to do..is upload the Drift2 settings from my Reventon Pro into the Hobbywing 120A ESC that I have...supposedly Speed Passion comes from Hobbywing factory...(with some better stuff) but, i don't know if this is a fact.
eunique is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2013, 07:16 PM   #1313
Tech Addict
 
pickled's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Posts: 533
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by eunique View Post
did you ever have reverse on it?
I have reverse on my Hobbywing 120A ESC V2.1 (i think)...I had it after updating the software on the program box and then picked the FWD, REVERSE, BRAKE mode.

Do you guys not have that on your 120A HW? I didn't know that this was problem..but, I have always had it. I had the combo...so I have always had a program box with mine.

what I am tempted to do..is upload the Drift2 settings from my Reventon Pro into the Hobbywing 120A ESC that I have...supposedly Speed Passion comes from Hobbywing factory...(with some better stuff) but, i don't know if this is a fact.
Yeah no reverse from new I've just ordered the program box so will do the double flash and see if that changes anything.
I've seen that people run the SP firmware on the HW ESC I think I saw it on this forum some where
pickled is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2013, 07:03 AM   #1314
Tech Initiate
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Posts: 31
Default

I've been having the same problem, except I'm running a 60A esc. what i've been doing is trimming the radio forward a bit (9 on my transmitter) and it would get the reverse working and I'd set it back after. Sometimes it stops working after a while, not sure why.

But if you guys are able to find a solution, please post! Thanks
mrjfang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2013, 09:15 AM   #1315
Tech Regular
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: Gilroy, CA
Posts: 477
Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)
Default

Yes, after you program ESC with FWD, REV, Brakes then set your trim to your liking. Part of the problem is that by the program...it has to wait sometime before it lets you go to reverse to prevent damage to your drivertrain and gears. Brakes are a different thing since it does not throw rotation opposite the direction it was going.
eunique is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2013, 09:55 AM   #1316
Tech Initiate
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Posts: 42
Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by eunique View Post
Yes, after you program ESC with FWD, REV, Brakes then set your trim to your liking. Part of the problem is that by the program...it has to wait sometime before it lets you go to reverse to prevent damage to your drivertrain and gears. Brakes are a different thing since it does not throw rotation opposite the direction it was going.
This is my least favorite feature of escs

It's always when I'm on top of another truck at the tracking jamming my finger forward a million times to get my truck to back up that I really don't appreciate the reverse delay.

I'd rather have to but a $5 idler every few months than to have that delay
saturnv7890 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2013, 12:25 PM   #1317
Tech Master
 
Cloaked's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Sydney, Australia
Posts: 1,203
Trader Rating: 15 (100%+)
Default

Pfft.

All you people whinging about no reverse.

You dont need it!, No really because I race off road as well reverse is not allowed, it has to be disabled. So its off on all my ESC's.

You miss it for about 1 battery pack and then you just learn to crash without needing reverse.
__________________
Nothing...
Cloaked is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2013, 01:29 PM   #1318
Tech Addict
 
pickled's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Posts: 533
Default

Hey I'm whinging about a buggy product that should work as described in the manufacturers specifications. I don't race buggies or pan cars or grip racers. I only drift and at certain times having reverse means I don't have to cross a track to retrieve my car from an unrecoverable position. If I only wanted forward then I would have bought an ESC that only supports this mode
pickled is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2013, 01:43 PM   #1319
Tech Master
 
Cloaked's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Sydney, Australia
Posts: 1,203
Trader Rating: 15 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by pickled View Post
Hey I'm whinging about a buggy product that should work as described in the manufacturers specifications. I don't race buggies or pan cars or grip racers. I only drift and at certain times having reverse means I don't have to cross a track to retrieve my car from an unrecoverable position. If I only wanted forward then I would have bought an ESC that only supports this mode
Haha I was only having a Jest Pickled.

I dont know how often you go in the Off-Road section but there is a thread in there for HobbyWing products, the no reverse thing was discussed a while ago.

If I remember correctly it has to do with certain ESC profiles, if you have the Digitial Programming Card, download the firmware program and play around.
__________________
Nothing...
Cloaked is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2013, 02:42 PM   #1320
Tech Addict
 
pickled's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Posts: 533
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cloaked View Post
Haha I was only having a Jest Pickled.

I dont know how often you go in the Off-Road section but there is a thread in there for HobbyWing products, the no reverse thing was discussed a while ago.

If I remember correctly it has to do with certain ESC profiles, if you have the Digitial Programming Card, download the firmware program and play around.
Yeah I wasn't having a go, just venting my frustration with this product. I have had to buy a program box from ebay just got to wait till it gets here and flash,flash,flash
pickled is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply



Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT -7. It is currently 11:57 AM.


Powered By: vBulletin v3.9.2.1
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Advertise Content © 2001-2011 RCTech.net