R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Like Tree1Likes
Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 01-21-2013, 04:08 PM   #1231
Tech Elite
 
SerpentCT4S's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: NYC
Posts: 2,847
Trader Rating: 94 (96%+)
Send a message via AIM to SerpentCT4S
Default

I currently have a HPI flux brushless system in my S3. I have heard that it isn't a good match for the chassis.

People have told me to get a Hobby Wing brushless system. Do I need to get sensored or sensor less?
SerpentCT4S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2013, 04:25 PM   #1232
Tech Master
 
Cloaked's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Sydney, Australia
Posts: 1,203
Trader Rating: 15 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by SerpentCT4S View Post
I currently have a HPI flux brushless system in my S3. I have heard that it isn't a good match for the chassis.

People have told me to get a Hobby Wing brushless system. Do I need to get sensored or sensor less?
Sensored systems give smoother acceleration and offer a mor linear acceleration curve.

A sensored system will allow you to drift easier as your throttle input will be accurately conveyed to the motor.

Sensor-less systems can vary widely as there is no feedback to the ESC.
__________________
Nothing...
Cloaked is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2013, 04:33 PM   #1233
Tech Elite
 
SerpentCT4S's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: NYC
Posts: 2,847
Trader Rating: 94 (96%+)
Send a message via AIM to SerpentCT4S
Default

Gotcha, that is what I have heard from others.

I have heard alot of people are running the Hobby Wingz combos. Which is better, the XErun or the EZrun?
SerpentCT4S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2013, 05:21 PM   #1234
Tech Addict
 
pickled's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Posts: 533
Default

only just got my xerun system so I haven't got an opinion of it yet
pickled is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2013, 05:31 PM   #1235
Tech Master
 
Cloaked's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Sydney, Australia
Posts: 1,203
Trader Rating: 15 (100%+)
Default

Been running XERUN ESC's for a long time, as well as Just Stock ESC's. Bang for buck there is nothing better.

Im pretty sure EZRUN are not sensored.
__________________
Nothing...
Cloaked is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2013, 05:55 PM   #1236
Tech Initiate
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Posts: 42
Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by SerpentCT4S View Post
Gotcha, that is what I have heard from others.

I have heard alot of people are running the Hobby Wingz combos. Which is better, the XErun or the EZrun?
XErun is the only option there as it is the sensored version.


Might also want to check out hobbyking, as their ESCs and motors are sensored, and much cheaper! I can't advocate them yet, but in a couple weeks when they arrive I'll give you some good feedback.

I am running a sensorless 35a esc from hobbyking that seems to be running strong, and that esc was only about $20!
saturnv7890 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2013, 05:57 PM   #1237
Tech Regular
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: Gilroy, CA
Posts: 477
Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by pickled View Post
only just got my xerun system so I haven't got an opinion of it yet
XeRuns would be the best bang...been running those and have been extremely happy.

I did get my order for Speed Passion but haven't installed/tried it yet.
But or the money, tons of drifters use the Xerun systems very successfully with no problems
eunique is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2013, 07:13 PM   #1238
Tech Addict
 
pickled's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Posts: 533
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by eunique View Post
XeRuns would be the best bang...been running those and have been extremely happy.

I did get my order for Speed Passion but haven't installed/tried it yet.
But or the money, tons of drifters use the Xerun systems very successfully with no problems
I'm having an issue with it. It's lost reverse even after programming it 3 times no reverse. And how difficult is it to solder the wiring to it the heat sink eats the heat before the solder melts I think that may be why I've had issues having to hold the iron on it for so long the heat sink got hot enough to burn me lol
pickled is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2013, 07:36 PM   #1239
Tech Initiate
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Posts: 42
Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by pickled View Post
I'm having an issue with it. It's lost reverse even after programming it 3 times no reverse. And how difficult is it to solder the wiring to it the heat sink eats the heat before the solder melts I think that may be why I've had issues having to hold the iron on it for so long the heat sink got hot enough to burn me lol
Ive got a 60a soldering iron that is the answer to any of those issues! Too hot for lots of things, But for this I feel more initial heat is key.

Just had a nice drift session with a friend of mine, we're drifting smooth concrete in the tunnels at school, weathers getting wayy too cold in this hemisphere for outdoor drift. The tunnels are great because of the looks we get!

Oh one quick question, I just got in a couple center gears I ordered to change the cs ratio, but now I feel 2.14 is perfect. What would lessening the cs ratio do from a handling perspective?
saturnv7890 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2013, 07:36 PM   #1240
Tech Rookie
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Posts: 19
Default

well all the talk about sensored and sensorless im wondering if this is why it is so frustrating for me to drift this car
here is my motor

Last edited by jimmyzrx; 01-21-2013 at 07:38 PM. Reason: figuring out how to post a link lol
jimmyzrx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2013, 07:41 PM   #1241
Tech Rookie
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Posts: 19
Default

CASTLE CREATIONS 4 POLE 5700 KV BRUSHLESS MOTOR 3S SIDEWINDER SV2 ESC

sorry can not figure out the link posting
jimmyzrx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2013, 07:41 PM   #1242
Tech Initiate
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Posts: 31
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by pickled View Post
I'm having an issue with it. It's lost reverse even after programming it 3 times no reverse. And how difficult is it to solder the wiring to it the heat sink eats the heat before the solder melts I think that may be why I've had issues having to hold the iron on it for so long the heat sink got hot enough to burn me lol
I've been having the same problem. Sometimes the reverse works, sometimes it doesnt. Usually what i have to do to get it to reverse is adjust my throttle trim forward a bit and it will reverse, then i set it back to neutral after. Another thing that worked for me was not pushing the trigger all the way forward when programming the ESC. Not sure why this problem happens though.
mrjfang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2013, 08:08 PM   #1243
Tech Initiate
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Posts: 42
Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmyzrx View Post
CASTLE CREATIONS 4 POLE 5700 KV BRUSHLESS MOTOR 3S SIDEWINDER SV2 ESC

sorry can not figure out the link posting
Thats pretty heavy duty for drifting!

If it's anything like the past few SC trucks I've driven with similar setups, I can tell you it's probably gonna be hard to drift.

Sensored will give you much smoother startups, which will make it easy.

For people just learning CS (including myself!) learn it the right way:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JAk5OCTSex4

That way you can look like a pro when you start taking those slow-mo go-pro videos!

Well that's how I've been trying to learn CS, avoiding "turning in"
saturnv7890 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2013, 08:15 PM   #1244
Tech Rookie
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Posts: 15
Default

Another Vouch for the Hobby Wing Xerun 13.5. Best combo I've had so far
__________________
DRIFTtechniques crew
OG Memeberhttp
http://www.facebook.com/pages/Drift-Techniques-Crew/448472011869071?fref=ts
Slushiest_MJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2013, 08:16 PM   #1245
Tech Rookie
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Posts: 19
Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by saturnv7890 View Post
Thats pretty heavy duty for drifting!

If it's anything like the past few SC trucks I've driven with similar setups, I can tell you it's probably gonna be hard to drift.

Sensored will give you much smoother startups, which will make it easy.

For people just learning CS (including myself!) learn it the right way:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JAk5OCTSex4

That way you can look like a pro when you start taking those slow-mo go-pro videos!

Well that's how I've been trying to learn CS, avoiding "turning in"
thanks for the reply, i was thinking it should not be as hard as it has been. the same setup in my tl-01 i could drift all day lol.
jimmyzrx is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply



Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT -7. It is currently 01:35 PM.


Powered By: vBulletin v3.9.2.1
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Advertise Content © 2001-2011 RCTech.net