Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road
3 Racing Sakura D3 CS Drift >

3 Racing Sakura D3 CS Drift

Like Tree2Likes

3 Racing Sakura D3 CS Drift

Old 01-03-2013, 07:48 PM
Tech Rookie

eunique,pickled

Thank you both for the help you have given me on my parts selection.

I am ready to get motor esc batteries and transmitter receiver

any advice?

i installed a castle 5700kv system in my tl-01 thinking more power is what i needed lol, all it is now is crazy fast.

Jimmy
Old 01-03-2013, 09:41 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Originally Posted by jimmyzrx
eunique,pickled

any advice?

i installed a castle 5700kv system in my tl-01 thinking more power is what i needed lol, all it is now is crazy fast.

Jimmy
Lipo batteries, I order from Hobbyking.com, great prices..less than half of prices from LHS.

Most people seem to run 8.5T motors, sensored for sure, better for drifting.
I like the Hobbywing Xerun combos...great prices, awesome performance. I get those from hobbypartz.com

I just ordered Speed Passion combo from Rcmart that allows you to program, upload wirelessly with iPhone or Android.

Tx/Rx I'm just using a cheap flysky FS-GT3B remote..receivers are only $10
Combo is $40-$50
I'm sure there are great high end ones though
Old 01-03-2013, 10:01 PM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by pickled
I meant oos and ahhs they were liking the hopped up version saying check out the carbon it looks like flames etc.

yeah rubber tyres give you grip which is something drifters don't want. I'm waiting on a set of Spice tyres now. My LHS track surface is bitumen/rubber compound but it's as slick as ice I still can't get around it with out spinning out.

I had some laying around that are the perfect size about a 15mm thread goes right through and flush with the outer side, I cut the centre out of mine right to the edge of the support arms then shimmed it with washers against the back of the shock tower. you want a little movement in them though
glad they all liked it...it is a very nice VIP kit! Specially with your mods.

I wonder how big of a difference that track is compared to carpet?

Thanks for the tip on the KPI, I wasn't sure.
So, just the button head 15mm screw..No nut on the other end?
It just bites into the internal thread of the yokomo arms?

My 14mm just bites into the thread right now, but doesn't go all the way. I'll have to grind some more and use shim spacers like you said.
Old 01-03-2013, 10:56 PM
Tech Addict

Originally Posted by jimmyzrx
eunique,pickled

any advice?

Jimmy
Like eunique has stated 8.5T - 13.5T I'm thinking of getting the speed passion Yeah racing combo that rcMart has if they still have it when I can afford it! Batteries look for a big battery like a 5000Mah with a C rating over 30 I'm interested in these 6000Mah 80C intellect lipo's

I'd get the GT3C it has the bearing, lipo and VR already done from factory and it's not as badly soldered as the B, I have 2 B's and both never had the flux washed off the boards so they are covered in a white corrosive film where as the C is much better other than a bad power button design that means you need to relocate it so it will continue to turn on lol we are having this same discussion over on the DM forum

Originally Posted by eunique
glad they all liked it...it is a very nice VIP kit! Specially with your mods.

I wonder how big of a difference that track is compared to carpet?

Thanks for the tip on the KPI, I wasn't sure.
So, just the button head 15mm screw..No nut on the other end?
It just bites into the internal thread of the yokomo arms?

My 14mm just bites into the thread right now, but doesn't go all the way. I'll have to grind some more and use shim spacers like you said.
Yeah they are looking forward to see it running next week as I had servo issues with it. I wish they had a carpet track I've only run mine on a rug and loved how it got grip at the front on the tyre side walls. but that bitumen track is slipperier than anything I've ever ran it on even than an oily carpark. The screw I used just bites into the thread no nut

Last edited by pickled; 01-03-2013 at 11:25 PM.
Old 01-04-2013, 06:07 AM
Tech Initiate

Started my build , alot harder than what I was thinking but really enjoying it
Old 01-04-2013, 08:08 AM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by tworrs
Started my build , alot harder than what I was thinking but really enjoying it
Use a drop of light oil on the screw before screwing into plastic, or use a tap to prethread, otherwise you could strip
Old 01-04-2013, 03:55 PM
Tech Regular

First impressions: WOW! With this KPI mod, I have definitely noticed a conference..and I haven't even played with the settings all that much.
But the D3 responds to steering input well with this mod....got a little bit of practice at LHS carpet drift track this morning.
Another D3 drifter was there, his springs were stiffer in rear and softer in front and it seemed to track well.
Towards end of practice...I switched my front to rears, had to keep dialing down adjustment in front due to added weight to get the height up...but all in all, it seemed to respond well. I was starting to like the set up. Will have to keep tweaking it to see if I'll keep it that way...but maybe slightly stiffer springs in front
Old 01-04-2013, 04:01 PM
Tech Initiate

Use a drop of light oil on the screw before screwing into plastic, or use a tap to prethread, otherwise you could strip
Thanks eunique , any advice on where to set the bearing holders, on the front and back, any help much appreciated
Old 01-04-2013, 05:14 PM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by tworrs
Thanks eunique , any advice on where to set the bearing holders, on the front and back, any help much appreciated
It would actually depend on car to car, partly fue to flex in plastic and how the screws were snugged down...just pay with them. Check belts, you don't want loose, but not too tight either, otherwise, more strain on your motor, too much friction.
Old 01-04-2013, 08:17 PM
Tech Addict

First impressions: WOW! With this KPI mod, I have definitely noticed a conference..and I haven't even played with the settings all that much.
But the D3 responds to steering input well with this mod....got a little bit of practice at LHS carpet drift track this morning.
Another D3 drifter was there, his springs were stiffer in rear and softer in front and it seemed to track well.
Towards end of practice...I switched my front to rears, had to keep dialing down adjustment in front due to added weight to get the height up...but all in all, it seemed to respond well. I was starting to like the set up. Will have to keep tweaking it to see if I'll keep it that way...but maybe slightly stiffer springs in front
Yeah I found that it steers in better too may have to try softer springs in the front aswell
Old 01-04-2013, 11:12 PM
Tech Addict

Oh Man!! my daughter is on my back for me to build her a chassis now! I told her I'll rebuild my old FRP D3 with the alloy hop-ups. So I'm gonna have to push back my plans for my next chassis (Oreolai SFR-01) till a bit later. Damn it! lol. But her birthday is coming up so I told her that will be her only present lol. So far pricing with another GT3C and a bluebird MG servo (she can have my motor as I have picked a sensored system to buy next week) its up to about US$470 with-out the SSG lower and upper decks.
Old 01-05-2013, 01:49 AM
Tech Rookie

@eunique, I'm the kid that runs the stock Sprint 2 (hpi camaro body) . I heard CS on the Sprint 2 is a waste of time....

Though I am wondering if I should buy the Sakura, upgrade the hell out of it, or just go with a higher end chassis like the TA06 Pro. Another guy drifting there said the D3 wasn't very good because everytime you turned the wheels/tires would hit the springs/shocks.

Well, I'm in no rush to upgrade, so I'll wait and see if anyone releases something appealing to the price/performance ratio!
Old 01-05-2013, 02:35 AM
Tech Addict

Originally Posted by amuffin
@eunique, I'm the kid that runs the stock Sprint 2 (hpi camaro body) . I heard CS on the Sprint 2 is a waste of time....

Though I am wondering if I should buy the Sakura, upgrade the hell out of it, or just go with a higher end chassis like the TA06 Pro. Another guy drifting there said the D3 wasn't very good because everytime you turned the wheels/tires would hit the springs/shocks.

Well, I'm in no rush to upgrade, so I'll wait and see if anyone releases something appealing to the price/performance ratio!
Does the guy own a D3 I very much doubt it otherwise he'd know the shocks don't interfere with the standard steering angle which is 45* and I'm pretty sure they don't touch even with the alloy steering sweepers which go to 55* I am running modded steering sweepers >55* and they don't cause the wheels to hit the shocks but they do touch the back side of the A-arm till I grind it down a little

I'm looking at an Oreolai SFR-01 next it is a high end chassis that comes fully hopped up no need to buy anything except maybe some different pulleys to change it's CS, it's compatible with tamiya components etc. I asked the question what chassis do you recommend for under $500 on drift mission and here is the link

Last edited by pickled; 01-05-2013 at 03:36 AM.
Old 01-05-2013, 06:10 AM
Tech Initiate

Thanks eunique, should of just held off and bought the assembled version lol
Old 01-05-2013, 07:01 AM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by amuffin

Good to see you here.
The D3 even with all the hop ups is going to be hard to beat. And I have all the hop ups now with the 55* aluminum steering and don't have problems with it hitting shocks. Like pickled said, I had to grind down some from the arms as well, but no binding issues now.
I was out there yesterday practicing with my new upgrade which is from pickled's KPI mod

Last edited by eunique; 01-05-2013 at 09:17 AM.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.