R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Like Tree1Likes

Old 11-30-2012, 04:47 PM   #736
Tech Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by eunique View Post
progressive rate springs would have sections of loose and tighter windings (usually tighter towards the top) which is what gives the differences in spring rate, essentially getting stiffer on turns to prevent less body roll but still give you a supple or more giving suspension on straighaways.
in theory, I dont think it would be good for our 1:10 drift cars since we need the flex and generally softer suspension for body roll with 1:10 drifting...which is opposite of 1:1 drifting
These are my MST DK 30mm progressive springs
pickled is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2012, 05:14 PM   #737
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by pickled View Post
These are my MST DK 30mm progressive springs
whoa! those are nice....courtesy of rcmart?
eunique is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2012, 05:30 PM   #738
Tech Addict

Quote:
whoa! those are nice....courtesy of rcmart?
no RC Smart they don't stock MST products at rcmart
Old 11-30-2012, 08:07 PM   #739
Tech Rookie

yeah.. progressive springs as far as I know, have two different versions, the one that you`ve mentioned, examples are MST DK Series, and T&E Vertex varying coils constant thickness within one spring, and constant coil varying thickness eg XRAY Coloured carpet Springs. In wiki about springs, theres a formula for it, determining both progressive and linear springs. I`ve been a longtime fan of Tamiya orange/red TT01 Springs (and nil shock oils , just felt I have more grip and control hehe). In my opinion thats why TT01 (never owned one, just driven) came out of the box, stock settings could be drifted nicely. RC Drift has too much slide( compared to 1:1) drifting theres the neccesity to bring back some of the grip, thus softer springs is one of the tuning methods. Strangely enough only a few drifters at my place used softer springs, all others used quite hard springs. Well use whatever fits and drifts good. Binding is freaky cause it can lead us to believe our setup was wrong, when it was probably right. The neverending setup changes loop begins, and all hell breaks loose hahaha... Hopefully by next month my distributor can bring my kit in... ohhh the wait...
Old 11-30-2012, 11:43 PM   #740
Tech Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by tb214 View Post
yeah.. progressive springs as far as I know, have two different versions, the one that you`ve mentioned, examples are MST DK Series, and T&E Vertex varying coils constant thickness within one spring, and constant coil varying thickness eg XRAY Coloured carpet Springs. In wiki about springs, theres a formula for it, determining both progressive and linear springs. I`ve been a longtime fan of Tamiya orange/red TT01 Springs (and nil shock oils , just felt I have more grip and control hehe). In my opinion thats why TT01 (never owned one, just driven) came out of the box, stock settings could be drifted nicely. RC Drift has too much slide( compared to 1:1) drifting theres the neccesity to bring back some of the grip, thus softer springs is one of the tuning methods. Strangely enough only a few drifters at my place used softer springs, all others used quite hard springs. Well use whatever fits and drifts good. Binding is freaky cause it can lead us to believe our setup was wrong, when it was probably right. The neverending setup changes loop begins, and all hell breaks loose hahaha... Hopefully by next month my distributor can bring my kit in... ohhh the wait...
You'd be better off getting a kit of eBay at this time of the year? You won't see a kit before Christmas if you wait!

Have you seen the price difference between rcmart and 3racing for the carbon chassis $64.13 Vs $46.90 man thats nearly 20 bucks cheaper than the manufacturer

Last edited by pickled; 12-01-2012 at 04:17 AM.
Old 12-01-2012, 09:42 AM   #741
Tech Regular

Quote:
Have you seen the price difference between rcmart and 3racing for the carbon chassis $64.13 Vs $46.90 man thats nearly 20 bucks cheaper than the manufacturer
yes...i already made that mistake when I got too excited and prematurely ordered from 3Racing of some hopups when Rcmart didn't have them yet...then, Rcmart released same ones following morning and I realized I could have saved more...so never again.

Now, I will just have to be a little more patient when ordering and wait until Rcmart or even TQRCracing has them in stock.

TQRCRACING is here in the US and I have ordered from them..fast shipping, good prices but took a little longer than RcMart to get the hopups.

just checked RcMart...got more hopups available

3Racing Transverse Short Battery Mounting Replacement For SAK-D320/SG SAK-D320/A/SG
USD$6.20
3Racing Titanium Gear Box Shaft Set For Sakura D3 SAK-D319
USD$9.90
3Racing Transverse Battery Mounting Kit For SAK-D306/SG SAK-D320/SG
USD$22.50
3Racing SSG Graphite Front Shock Tower For Sakura D3 SAK-D307/SG
USD$11.50
3Racing SSG Graphite Main Chassis For Sakura D3 SAK-D306/SG
USD$46.90
3Racing SSG Graphite Rear Shock Tower For Sakura D3 SAK-D308/SG
USD$12.50
3Racing Aluminum Rear Bulkhead For Sakura D3 SAK-D316/PK
Old 12-02-2012, 04:26 AM   #742
Tech Addict

Hey guys did you know that the new carbon chassis has a longitudinal battery mount? who is going to set up there chassis that way? I guess if you did you would need a low profile servo?
Old 12-02-2012, 04:34 PM   #743
Tech Regular

Quote:
Hey guys did you know that the new carbon chassis has a longitudinal battery mount? who is going to set up there chassis that way? I guess if you did you would need a low profile servo?
I wash thinking it might help tame the rear end a little and not be as tail happy..but then, that's why they have the Optional transverse battery holder.
I might try out longitudinal first to see difference in handling before doing transverse when I order my next big order of new hopups
Old 12-02-2012, 05:47 PM   #744
Tech Addict

Quote:
I wash thinking it might help tame the rear end a little and not be as tail happy..but then, that's why they have the Optional transverse battery holder.
I might try out longitudinal first to see difference in handling before doing transverse when I order my next big order of new hopups
That's what I was also planning on trying though I'll get the transverse kit as well in my next order along with a heap of Titanium screws m3 x6, x8, x12 button head & flat. I love how rcMart include the installation diagrams on the detail pages so you can see what size screws you need.
Old 12-02-2012, 05:54 PM   #745
Tech Apprentice

i guys, i have been reading this post since the begining, i have the d3, today i make an order in rcmart, the carbon towers and the alloy bulkheads... jeje if anybody has some doubt about setup, say to me and i try to help, before i broke the rear shock tower my car start to go very well, less under steer, more controlable, my setup is aprox:

Front end:
Caster: 10
Camber: 3
Shock mount: 2 inner.
Shock spring: x-ray 33lb
Shock oil: 2000 cst 1 hole ( on x-ray shocks)
Roll center: stock
Arm position:stock
Wheel hex: 5mm
ride height: 6mm
droop: +0- 0

Rear end:
Camber:4
toe in: 3, i think i would be better 2... when it arrives i will tell you
roll center: outer hole on the hub, with 2mm shim under pivot ball, on the shock tower in the inner and lower hole.
Arm position: stock
Wheel hex:5mm
ride height: 6 mm
droop. 1mm

Drive train:
Front pulley: 38t one way
Front pulley: 14t
Front center:15t
rear center: 13t
Rear pulley: 21t
Rear spool: 30t

i think that more cs ratio would work fine, i have to mod the steering to get more degres...
chachotu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2012, 06:28 PM   #746
Tech Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by chachotu View Post
i guys, i have been reading this post since the begining, i have the d3, today i make an order in rcmart, the carbon towers and the alloy bulkheads... jeje if anybody has some doubt about setup, say to me and i try to help, before i broke the rear shock tower my car start to go very well, less under steer, more controlable, my setup is aprox:

Front end:
Caster: 10
Camber: 3
Shock mount: 2 inner.
Shock spring: x-ray 33lb
Shock oil: 2000 cst 1 hole ( on x-ray shocks)
Roll center: stock
Arm position:stock
Wheel hex: 5mm
ride height: 6mm
droop: +0- 0

Rear end:
Camber:4
toe in: 3, i think i would be better 2... when it arrives i will tell you
roll center: outer hole on the hub, with 2mm shim under pivot ball, on the shock tower in the inner and lower hole.
Arm position: stock
Wheel hex:5mm
ride height: 6 mm
droop. 1mm

Drive train:
Front pulley: 38t one way
Front pulley: 14t
Front center:15t
rear center: 13t
Rear pulley: 21t
Rear spool: 30t

i think that more cs ratio would work fine, i have to mod the steering to get more degres...
So your CS ratio is 2.19 that's not much different to stock so you probably won't see much of a difference over stock anyway? I love my setup now I added about 4mm to the crossbar on the steering sweepers and did a KPI mod to the front with MST knuckles and it turns when you want it too more or less just got to remember to back off when you want to change direction! lol.
Old 12-02-2012, 09:28 PM   #747
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

Where can I order one online in the USA? TQ is out of them. would be the first D3 in afghanistan if i do. hehe..

Disregard Integy.com had them in stock.. got mine ordered.. cant wait...

Last edited by Kabul_RC; 12-02-2012 at 10:38 PM. Reason: update to post
Kabul_RC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2012, 10:00 PM   #748
Tech Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kabul_RC View Post
Where can I order one online in the USA? TQ is out of them. would be the first D3 in afghanistan if i do. hehe..
Does it have to go through the US postal system? get one from rcMart it's closer to kabul than USA if you don't need to go through the postal system? otherwise ebay?
Old 12-03-2012, 05:47 AM   #749
Tech Apprentice

i forget in the rear end:
Shock spring: Tamiya red.
Shock oil: 600 ( not tried yet but i think that it would be bette for swichback) i was using 500.
Shock position: 2 outer hole.

Pickled i want to add this 4 mm to the cross bar but i gona wait for alum bulkhead with no need modification to use a turnbuncle.. and how you put de tammiya double cardin in the mst knucles... the bearnig is bigger?!
I do a kpi mod in my xray t2 mod to drift but i used the lower part of caster block and add another turnbunkle in the top..
chachotu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2012, 06:18 AM   #750
Tech Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by chachotu View Post
i forget in the rear end:
Shock spring: Tamiya red.
Shock oil: 600 ( not tried yet but i think that it would be bette for swichback) i was using 500.
Shock position: 2 outer hole.

Pickled i want to add this 4 mm to the cross bar but i gona wait for alum bulkhead with no need modification to use a turnbuncle.. and how you put de tammiya double cardin in the mst knucles... the bearnig is bigger?!
I do a kpi mod in my xray t2 mod to drift but i used the lower part of caster block and add another turnbunkle in the top..
Yeah the bearing is a 10x15x4 I inserted a 5x10x4 inside it! and cut lower arm added a 12mm set screw and ball end!