R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 10-20-2012, 08:40 PM   #406
Tech Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by RcJunky76 View Post
Yeah I read threw the last few pages and seen what all is up too.. So you think the SSK for the X1 will work? Have a set in my cart but waiting to place order till tomorrow to see if they update, belt tensioner is out of stock..
What spur cover is that,
Yeah Racing Spur Gear Support Plate. the ssk's will definitely fit they're the same size as the TRF double cardins, they come with a thinner bearing for the knuckle just swap out the inner bearing with the one that comes with the axles and they'll fit snug. I think I could use the ssk outer shaft as a replacement for the double cardin outer shaft, they look the same except the thread on the ssk is slightly longer but that won't matter and the price is awesome at less than half the price of the double cardin outers, the reason I bring this up is because when I was at my LHS track the other day a guy there hit the wall and snapped his front axle off at the bearing, although he was running alloy rims. It was a yokomo and he only had dog bone shafts but I figure something like that is bound to happen eventually
Hopefully today I'll have enough cash to buy the alloy suspension mounts from the Zero and the 2 piece Mounts from the XI.

Last edited by pickled; 10-21-2012 at 06:57 AM.
pickled is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2012, 09:13 AM   #407
Tech Rookie

Hey guys I have a question. If I wanted to turn this thing into a regular touring car ie 50/50
what would be the best way to do so.....i was thinking that I would change the pulley on the lay shaft about the rear diff to the same size as the front...does that sound right? I was basically looking at making it like the ta03f except with better parts availability. I also would have to change the diffs, would the sakura s gear diffs fit? Other than that the biggest problems with this car from what I understand are the front and center belt being loose? Is that it? I have read through this entire thread and it seems like those are the most consistent issues. Sorry for the long post I am just very interested in this chassis and was looking for a it to be able to fit multiple roles.
TravisZ28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2012, 09:28 AM   #408
Tech Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by TravisZ28 View Post
Hey guys I have a question. If I wanted to turn this thing into a regular touring car ie 50/50
what would be the best way to do so.....i was thinking that I would change the pulley on the lay shaft about the rear diff to the same size as the front...does that sound right? I was basically looking at making it like the ta03f except with better parts availability. I also would have to change the diffs, would the sakura s gear diffs fit? Other than that the biggest problems with this car from what I understand are the front and center belt being loose? Is that it? I have read through this entire thread and it seems like those are the most consistent issues. Sorry for the long post I am just very interested in this chassis and was looking for a it to be able to fit multiple roles.
the easiest way to do what you want is to change the rear pulley from 22T to a 13T and the rear diff pulley to a 38T, Most of the sakura parts are interchangable. The sakura zero is opposite at the front but the rear is the same side as the D3, So not sure if you can put a gear diff in upside down?
I haven't had any issues with the front and rear belts but I find the centre gets loose as you use it, people are using spacers under the rear pulley mount to tighten the centre belt. I think you should just go with an XI if you want a touring car as the front motor in the D3 will mean you'll have to add weights in the rear to balance the chassis, or look at an MST MS-01D or something similar that has better weight distribution. A D3 as a touring car, the rear end will flick out a lot and you'll have trouble getting it right.

Last edited by pickled; 10-21-2012 at 09:42 AM.
Old 10-21-2012, 09:32 AM   #409
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by RcJunky76 View Post
Yeah I read threw the last few pages and seen what all is up too.. So you think the SSK for the X1 will work? Have a set in my cart but waiting to place order till tomorrow to see if they update, belt tensioner is out of stock..
What spur cover is that,
I just ordered a couple of those...2different colors..they are Yeah Racing spur covers
eunique is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2012, 09:45 AM   #410
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Quote:
I'm wIth pickled on that...either the XI or if u want less expensive, the Zero S is very capable..I have a Zero S set up for 50/50 drifting also...as I get better with CS, I will be changing ratios on it for C S also.

The setup on D3 weight distribution is not ideal, but doable if that's what you really want to do.
eunique is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2012, 08:19 PM   #411
Tech Rookie

Basically i really like the layout from the ta03f but parts are getting more and more difficult to find for them, not to mention needing special pinions. I will not be racing anyhow which is why drifting interested me so much. I haven't tried drifting yet at all really, how much more difficult would a CS setup make the learning curve?
Old 10-21-2012, 10:10 PM   #412
Tech Addict

Quote:
Basically i really like the layout from the ta03f but parts are getting more and more difficult to find for them, not to mention needing special pinions. I will not be racing anyhow which is why drifting interested me so much. I haven't tried drifting yet at all really, how much more difficult would a CS setup make the learning curve?
The learning curve is pretty steep but when you get it, you get it. It's probably a bit easier to learn CS drifting if you haven't drifted 50/50! I however did, so I'm still having difficulty getting it. The D3 is my first CS drifter and it drifts way better than my old TT-01's. If your not going to race why bother with a touring car? There would have to be an RC drift track near you somewhere? And you can practice at your local shopping center's multi level carpark just go to the area far enough away that people are to lazy to park their cars lol!
Old 10-22-2012, 05:30 AM   #413
Tech Rookie

So your saying that CS drifting is more intuitive than 50/50 drifting? I wanted a touring car because I have a lot of of parking lots and basketball courts near me.
Old 10-22-2012, 05:50 AM   #414
Tech Addict

Quote:
So your saying that CS drifting is more intuitive than 50/50 drifting? I wanted a touring car because I have a lot of of parking lots and basketball courts near me.
Yeah it's because they're easier to spin than a 50/50 so learning to drift one will come easier than had you learnt on a 50/50. You need to forget how to drift a 50/50 in order to drift a CS greater than 1.3 they are completely different it's not like brute force drifting you get from drifting 50/50 where you steer into the drift most of the time but steering away or counter steering the drift. ahh the zen art of drifting. I'm finding that you start to get a feel for it, you just know when the car is going to get loose and when to back off the throttle to decrease the radius of the turn to get around a corner or when to smash the throttle for a long sweeping bend not to say it works for me every time but I'm getting better at it. I still need to figure out exactly how to switch back without spinning out as much, so far I back off the throttle steering the direction I want to go then when its changed direction add some throttle carefully then give it some more depending on the sweep of the curve. I'm mostly imagining the course in my head. Figure eights help me heaps trying big 8's and little 8's and a mixture of a big loop into a smaller loop it's mainly throttle control with a bit of steering. I've been taking my car to a carpark nearly every day, it's cement which is still pretty grippy and it has helped heaps because my lounge room is to small lol.

Last edited by pickled; 10-22-2012 at 07:17 AM.
Old 10-22-2012, 06:24 AM   #415
Tech Initiate

Thanks Pickled,
great advice will do that today
So with this job done and belt tensioner and one way fitted, should this chassis be good to go ?
tworrs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2012, 07:01 AM   #416
Tech Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by tworrs View Post
Thanks Pickled,
great advice will do that today
So with this job done and belt tensioner and one way fitted, should this chassis be good to go ?
well it should go but don't worry if your not good at it at first! lol. A belt tensioner isn't a necessity if you experience the belt slackening you could always use spacers under the rear pulley mount I'm just to slack to do it. Try it without the one way for a bit, but the car will handle completely differently once it's installed! I found with my belt tensioner that when I gave it a squirt the belt would vibrate and touch which stripped the teeth off the belt since I added the idler pulley to the mix the belt can't touch and I'm only seeing minor fraying on the sides. If you put the belts on carefully then you shouldn't need a tensioner you'll see what I mean after you replace this belt when it's worn out. I think it's easier to install the center belt with the kit completed. As long as you have set up the chassis properly then you should experience very little in the way of problems. But setting it up is a relative term because you'll constantly be changing camber and toe and ride height etc till you find settings that suit you! just make sure what you do to one side you do equally to the other. Mine is fine now and I'm really enjoying it, but still need to tweak it to find the balance lol!

Last edited by pickled; 10-22-2012 at 08:09 AM.
Old 10-22-2012, 07:12 AM   #417
Tech Rookie

I have finshed modified my rear shock tower

h**p://sphotos-c.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-ash3/553912_2578112469092_2132817323_n.jpg

i cant post the pic , just remove ** and replace with tt
Allif Ar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2012, 07:55 AM   #418
Tech Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Allif Ar View Post
I have finshed modified my rear shock tower

h**p://sphotos-c.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-ash3/553912_2578112469092_2132817323_n.jpg

i cant post the pic , just remove ** and replace with tt

So is that a rear tower mounted on the front? I can see the upper arm is on the other side and you shocks are mounted closer to the tower! how is it to drift? How did you do the mod?
Old 10-22-2012, 10:23 AM   #419
Tech Initiate

Hey pickled,
Thanks again for taking the time to reply, should manage to get everything assembled for Friday , that's my race night at my local club, I'm the only drifter though, although everyone is interested to see how it goes, fingers crossed it works fine
tworrs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2012, 12:20 PM   #420
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 18 (95%+)

well i have made some change to my setup and left the stock cs (114%) and now the car runs good on the carpet it still spins out and still touchy but im getting better with it im going to try hpi t drift tires with it

ill post up my setup right when i get everything worked out im still going to change the cs

but ill post a vid of it how its running now soon
td-civ is offline   Reply With Quote