R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Like Tree1Likes
Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 05-08-2015, 07:40 PM   #2326
Tech Adept
 
Join Date: Dec 2014
Posts: 103
Default

Hello all. I have mabey a dumb question but where do you install the front belt tensioner on the d3?
jason w is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2015, 06:40 AM   #2327
Tech Apprentice
 
Aw11Clown's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2015
Posts: 50
Default

I've been running a mates mst ms01d for a bit now. So much better to drive then the D3 and better quality. Will be buying a one of the new RWD IFS kits soon!
Aw11Clown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2015, 06:07 PM   #2328
Tech Rookie
 
Join Date: Jun 2014
Posts: 6
Default

Have just collected my 2nd last parcel
Now just waiting for the last one containing the outer and inner suspension titanium coated pin sets, which incidentally are needed right at the beginning, and then the assembling starts!
Presently in the customs department
So it won't be long
Cant wait
Mozflyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2015, 06:40 PM   #2329
Tech Rookie
 
MaruRx7's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2015
Posts: 14
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by jason w View Post
Hello all. I have mabey a dumb question but where do you install the front belt tensioner on the d3?
The front belt does not have a tensioner. The center and rear belts have tensioners.
MaruRx7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2015, 08:49 AM   #2330
Tech Adept
 
Join Date: Dec 2014
Posts: 103
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaruRx7 View Post
The front belt does not have a tensioner. The center and rear belts have tensioners.
I was talking about the belt that everyone has to much slack in and gets a tensioner for. Do you just put that on the top plate?
jason w is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2015, 10:06 AM   #2331
Tech Rookie
 
MaruRx7's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2015
Posts: 14
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by jason w View Post
I was talking about the belt that everyone has to much slack in and gets a tensioner for. Do you just put that on the top plate?
That is the long center belt. Yes, The tensioner justs bolts into an existing hole on the top deck.
MaruRx7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2015, 11:45 AM   #2332
Tech Initiate
 
Join Date: Nov 2014
Posts: 46
Default

I decided to build this kit over the weekend so I could tool around with a proper drift car on some smooth asphalt around my house. I like my other two front motor cars, and am looking forward to adding some CS into the equation. Never driven one!

I see a lot of fairly agreed upon upgrades from box stock, but I'm just looking to get it to a point where it's fun and suitable for the surface I'm running on. Is the stock setup that horrible? Less stuff I have to buy the better (unless I love drifting, then I'll cross that bridge.) Got plenty of springs, shock weight oils, and shims laying around.

What is the most basic, essential, setup from stock for pretty rough (compared to carpet and concrete) surfaces? The asphalt is very smooth, but not track-grade.

I see how a front one-way would really change the dynamics, but it seems that the stock CS ratio is not ideal either. I like a challenge, so I'm not looking to make this a ton "easier" to drive since it's for fun anyways.

If it really is horrible stock, then can it be mitigated by setup? I plan on using tamiya yellow springs up front and something soft in the rear. Beyond that and the one-way, I'm not sure what I should plan on ordering to get it to a point where it's fun for my purposes, which will not involve any tracks, clubs, racing, etc. Just something that won't be too frustrating, since it sounds like the stock ratio was a poor engineering choice, as well as how the belts tension (from what I can tell skimming over this thread.)

Do I even need the front one way? It would be nice to have this thing running in a few days, but I did not foresee all the potential problems with the kit that the community brings up, and prefer not to tear down things right after I build them just to get a few packs in waiting on parts.

Thanks for any suggestions.
Hayling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2015, 03:39 AM   #2333
Tech Initiate
 
zy0000yz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2014
Posts: 28
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hayling View Post
I decided to build this kit over the weekend so I could tool around with a proper drift car on some smooth asphalt around my house. I like my other two front motor cars, and am looking forward to adding some CS into the equation. Never driven one!

I see a lot of fairly agreed upon upgrades from box stock, but I'm just looking to get it to a point where it's fun and suitable for the surface I'm running on. Is the stock setup that horrible? Less stuff I have to buy the better (unless I love drifting, then I'll cross that bridge.) Got plenty of springs, shock weight oils, and shims laying around.

What is the most basic, essential, setup from stock for pretty rough (compared to carpet and concrete) surfaces? The asphalt is very smooth, but not track-grade.

I see how a front one-way would really change the dynamics, but it seems that the stock CS ratio is not ideal either. I like a challenge, so I'm not looking to make this a ton "easier" to drive since it's for fun anyways.

If it really is horrible stock, then can it be mitigated by setup? I plan on using tamiya yellow springs up front and something soft in the rear. Beyond that and the one-way, I'm not sure what I should plan on ordering to get it to a point where it's fun for my purposes, which will not involve any tracks, clubs, racing, etc. Just something that won't be too frustrating, since it sounds like the stock ratio was a poor engineering choice, as well as how the belts tension (from what I can tell skimming over this thread.)

Do I even need the front one way? It would be nice to have this thing running in a few days, but I did not foresee all the potential problems with the kit that the community brings up, and prefer not to tear down things right after I build them just to get a few packs in waiting on parts.

Thanks for any suggestions.

I feel that a front-one way prolongs the life of the front belt... Without it you get 'heap big chatter' as i found out!
Also the UWA's are a must.
__________________
Pppooooowwweerr!!!!!
zy0000yz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2015, 07:51 AM   #2334
Tech Apprentice
 
Aw11Clown's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2015
Posts: 50
Default

sakura D4 out soon, rwd or 4wd setups.
Aw11Clown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2015, 12:00 PM   #2335
Tech Initiate
 
Join Date: Nov 2014
Posts: 46
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by zy0000yz View Post
I feel that a front-one way prolongs the life of the front belt... Without it you get 'heap big chatter' as i found out!
Also the UWA's are a must.
I went ahead and put it together. Those **** spring pins! Just need to figure out what shock oils to use to finish it up. I'll just take this upgrade path one a step at a time after some driving, and order the one-way since it seems like a "must have."
Hayling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2015, 03:36 PM   #2336
Tech Adept
 
Join Date: Dec 2014
Posts: 103
Default

What is the best way to put the sprkng pins in?
jason w is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2015, 05:11 PM   #2337
Tech Initiate
 
zy0000yz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2014
Posts: 28
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by jason w View Post
What is the best way to put the sprkng pins in?
Don't know, i bought mine pre-built
Taking them out is hard tho.
I reckon just go straight to alloy pulleys with grub screws.

anyhoo:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MqhmPopD4RA
__________________
Pppooooowwweerr!!!!!
zy0000yz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2015, 05:31 PM   #2338
Tech Adept
 
Join Date: Dec 2014
Posts: 103
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by zy0000yz View Post
Don't know, i bought mine pre-built
Taking them out is hard tho.
I reckon just go straight to alloy pulleys with grub screws.

anyhoo:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MqhmPopD4RA
Would you happen to have a part number for the aluminum pulleys?
jason w is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2015, 06:04 PM   #2339
Tech Initiate
 
zy0000yz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2014
Posts: 28
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by jason w View Post
Would you happen to have a part number for the aluminum pulleys?
Sorry, I just got one from the LHS to see if it would fit. It does. The grub screw goes into the flattish hole where the pin is supposed to go.
__________________
Pppooooowwweerr!!!!!
zy0000yz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2015, 06:11 AM   #2340
Tech Apprentice
 
Aw11Clown's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2015
Posts: 50
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by jason w View Post
What is the best way to put the sprkng pins in?
locate both holes with a small pin/paper clip from one side, slide pin in and pull out the pin/clip as you push the pin is the easiest way.
Aw11Clown is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply



Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT -7. It is currently 01:50 AM.


Powered By: vBulletin v3.9.2.1
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Advertise Content © 2001-2011 RCTech.net