3 Racing Sakura D3 CS Drift >

3 Racing Sakura D3 CS Drift

Like Tree2Likes

3 Racing Sakura D3 CS Drift

Old 03-22-2015, 10:08 AM
Tech Rookie

Hi MaruRx7,
Thanks for the reply

1) To be on the safe side with belt tensioning, I will go the way you suggest for the 1.52 CS
Unfortunately i have already ordered the stock pulleys in alloy
I thought they would be better than the plastic ones
Should have asked before!!!!!!

3) I played with the CS calculator from Drift Mission and noticed that the FDR changed when i changed the CS ratio, hence my question which pinion size i should use with the 1.56 CS and if i would have to change the pinion again if i returned to the stock CS
(somehow i thought that the FDR was only dependent on the Spur/Pinion)

Do you know what would be advisable FDR range for the D3 ........ be it stock CS or 1,52?

Very confusing stuff for my old brain!!!
I guess that I will only start learning it when I get the D3 running and test different configurations

Sorry if my questions may sound dumb!

Thanks again for your input
Cheers
Carlos
Old 03-22-2015, 04:17 PM
Tech Rookie

Originally Posted by Mozflyer
Hi everyone,

Firstly thanks Eunique for your advice related to my first post
I am considering all of it

Can someone kindly help me on the following decisions?
As mentioned before, deliveries from the east to Brasil can take up to 60 days and I don't want to order the wrong goodies

1) After reading that for a complete newbie the stock CS ratio could be aggressive, I have decided to start with 1,56
I could achieve that by replacing the 22T pulley by a 16T
- Is that the best way to get 1.56?
- I have the 3Racing Aluminum Rear Bulkhead Bearing Housing Ver2 #SAKD313_PK
Will i be able to tension the belt with it?

2) I have the FOW
- I have to order the 3Racing Aluminum Center One Way Pulley Gear T13 #3RAC-3PYW_13. Correct?
- Is this the correct pulley for the FOW? 3Racing Aluminum FRONT Diff. Pulley Gear T38 #3PY38
I dont seem to find a Centre One Way 38T
Any link?

3) I have the NOVAK Drift Spec Sensored Brushless System 13,5T COMBO
- Which pinion must i get for the 1.56 CS?
(To have a variety, i intend to order the Yeah Racing Pinion Gear Super Hard Combo set (48P 15T-20T 6pcs #MG-48015-020) from RCMart)
For this set of pinions the site does not indicate their diameter
Will they fit the Novak motor shaft which is 1/8"?

4) When one day i change the CS back to the stock 2.14, will i need to fit a different pinion?

I will be grateful for your help and advice

Thanks in advance
Carlos
Originally Posted by Mozflyer
Hi MaruRx7,
Thanks for the reply

1) To be on the safe side with belt tensioning, I will go the way you suggest for the 1.52 CS
Unfortunately i have already ordered the stock pulleys in alloy
I thought they would be better than the plastic ones
Should have asked before!!!!!!

3) I played with the CS calculator from Drift Mission and noticed that the FDR changed when i changed the CS ratio, hence my question which pinion size i should use with the 1.56 CS and if i would have to change the pinion again if i returned to the stock CS
(somehow i thought that the FDR was only dependent on the Spur/Pinion)

Do you know what would be advisable FDR range for the D3 ........ be it stock CS or 1,52?

Very confusing stuff for my old brain!!!
I guess that I will only start learning it when I get the D3 running and test different configurations

Sorry if my questions may sound dumb!

Thanks again for your input
Cheers
Carlos
The alloy diff pulleys wont hurt, but the performance changes will be minimal.

I played around with the driftmission calculator also and it seems that it does calculate out a CD FDR... I would assume this would calculate out to the rear wheels somehow, but i am not sure how.

Since the Motor turns the Pinion... and the pinion turns the spur... and the spur turns two separate 13T pulleys on the same shaft, then all of that is a constant to both the front and the rear axles. Variances are with the front diff pulley being larger than the rear diff pulley 38T front and 30T rear as well as the center 'gearbox' where with the stock setup it has a 13t and a 22t.
Perhaps there is something that i fail to understand when the CS FDR is calculated.

If you use a larger Pinion gear you will get more speed/RPM from both axles, but more motor strain... smaller pinion is just the opposite, less speed and less strain.
I went with the recommended pinion of 19T. I havent bought any more pinions yet to test them out as i have been putting more focus into suspension setup, leaving the most of the drivetrain as it is. I think i just need more practice to get some driver skill, then i will start tweaking it some more.

-MaruRx7
Old 03-23-2015, 11:39 AM
Tech Rookie

Thanks again MaruRx7

Your explanations are welcome and as you say about yourself, i am sure that all will make more sense once the D3 is running and i fiddle with it

Somehow most of the stuff i ordered arrived except the motor and ESC which is taking rather long to arrive

Cheers
Carlos

As anyone ever fitted the Vaterra 69 Camaro RS body on the D3?
Is it a straight fit or will i have a problem fitting it?
I think it is just too nice to ignore
Love American muscle cars
Old 03-27-2015, 06:49 AM
Tech Apprentice

Anyone ever race these as a FWD? Maybe in a usgt class?
Old 03-27-2015, 07:29 AM
Tech Apprentice

Why when you can buy a sakura ff?
Old 03-27-2015, 07:44 AM
Tech Apprentice

Because it looks fun and i got this...
Old 03-29-2015, 04:26 AM
Tech Apprentice

Originally Posted by Bknoww
Anyone ever race these as a FWD? Maybe in a usgt class?
I have mine set up for RWD at the moment and I am still trying to find the right setup to keep the rear end under it. I am running my XI Sport gear diff in the rear and it is decent right now but I need to get some softer springs for the rear shocks.
Old 04-03-2015, 05:20 AM
Tech Apprentice

Mines being shelved for a bit. A mates going to run his mi4cxl and donated me his mst till i figure out if i'm going to rebuild mine or buy a mst (ffx-d s?) myself.
Old 04-04-2015, 05:16 PM
Tech Rookie

anyone else had issues with the d3 just being shit in general? seems i have to replace something everytime i drive the thing. is it worth getting something else?
Old 04-06-2015, 01:52 PM
Tech Rookie

Originally Posted by Newrcguy4
anyone else had issues with the d3 just being shit in general? seems i have to replace something everytime i drive the thing. is it worth getting something else?
Not from wear, no. From crashing and breaking shit, yes.
What is it that you are having to replace?
Old 04-07-2015, 12:25 AM
Tech Apprentice

Mine was fine for a year. Then every time after that I broke shit. Once was my fault (well, actually a mates) when I hit a pole. I'm using a mates Mst before buying a RWD Mst. Its only a little extra to buy the Mst then it is to repair the sakura.
Old 05-06-2015, 11:07 AM
Tech Rookie

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Hey guys, this thread has been a HUGE help. Thank you all for the time and information shared here.

My kit will finally arrive today, long story full of drama, but all that matters is that's on the truck to be delivered. I've been working on the body, and also ordered a ton hop ups from RCMart.

I'm only about halfway through reading this thread, and my head is kinda swimming with all of the info. I actually had to start a doc with notes on set ups etc already. LOL.

If I could ask a small favor: would some of you post up how you have your D3 set up?
(camber, toe, shock springs/oil/piston, tires, etc)

If you could, I would GREATLY appreciate it.

I'll be running mostly on asphalt, but I'm sure I'll be hitting some local events with smoother surfaces once I get the hang of the D3.

Thanks again!!
Old 05-06-2015, 11:12 AM
Tech Rookie

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Newrcguy4
it is a real d3 or a clone off of ebay/amazon? I've read of several people having issues with the clones.
Old 05-06-2015, 06:21 PM
Tech Rookie

Am I glad to see some new posts on this thread
I am also one of the "late builders"
Started ordering all the parts in Feb and slooooowly they have been arriving
The last 2 parcels have arrived in the country and I should have them latest end of next week.
All my orders from the far east sometimes take 2 months to get here in Brasil
I have read this whole thread, made a Word file with all the Tips, Warnings, Setups, etc and learnt a hell of a lot from Eunique, Pickled and the very educative and technical posts from CaseyMacgyver and everybody else
Big thanks to you all
Cant wait to start my build
Old 05-07-2015, 01:02 AM
Tech Initiate

In my short experience, i have found that running lots of camber (like 10) all round on carpet works fine.
Also:
Install a 14tooth pulley in the back (replacing the 13tooth) makes the tension much better.
A front one-way reduces chatter, especially when combined with the UWA Cvd's (driveshafts)

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.