Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road
3 Racing Sakura D3 CS Drift >

3 Racing Sakura D3 CS Drift

Like Tree2Likes

3 Racing Sakura D3 CS Drift

Old 03-02-2013, 10:38 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Mchassis-Mark, watch out for that capacitor. ..Looks like it's laying on the center belt. ..
You don't want that to cause a belt failure or worse. ..To Ruin your Reventon Pro
Old 03-02-2013, 11:06 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)

Thanks. It looks close in the pictures but really was about an inch away. I've secured it better since snapping the shot.
Old 03-04-2013, 05:51 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 21 (100%+)

I've got a couple more questions for y'all...

1. I was thinking of reducing the CS ratio by replacing the stock 22t rear pulley with something smaller....maybe a 16 or 18 to get me down to 1.55 or 1.74. But I see the aluminum gears use set screws instead of spring pins. Is a new shaft needed? Would I also then need to replace the 13t pulley that goes on the same shaft so it mounts the same way (it's still plastic and uses the spring pin)? I saw pickled asked this earlier, but I didn't see an answer.

2. I installed my SSK DCJ front axles, but the steering throw doesn't look to be much improved over the stock universals. I realize the chatter issue should be addressed now (waiting on my motor to arrive), but I was assuming the steering angle would be much greater, too? When I test out the steering throw it appears the DCJs are the limiting factor. Nothing else appears to be bottoming out first.

The steering throw may be adequate as it is now, but I think for a CS car I'd want more throw.
Old 03-04-2013, 07:09 AM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by Tommy R
I've got a couple more questions for y'all...

1. I was thinking of reducing the CS ratio by replacing the stock 22t rear pulley with something smaller....maybe a 16 or 18 to get me down to 1.55 or 1.74. But I see the aluminum gears use set screws instead of spring pins. Is a new shaft needed? Would I also then need to replace the 13t pulley that goes on the same shaft so it mounts the same way (it's still plastic and uses the spring pin)? I saw pickled asked this earlier, but I didn't see an answer.

2. I installed my SSK DCJ front axles, but the steering throw doesn't look to be much improved over the stock universals. I realize the chatter issue should be addressed now (waiting on my motor to arrive), but I was assuming the steering angle would be much greater, too? When I test out the steering throw it appears the DCJs are the limiting factor. Nothing else appears to be bottoming out first.

The steering throw may be adequate as it is now, but I think for a CS car I'd want more throw.
1...you can do that and change pulleys to reduce CS ratio. I have done it and currently running 1.81 but now after getting better practice and learning how to use the CS to your advantage to keep he rear sliding...I will probably go back to 2.14 CS
You don't have to use a new shaft..but you can get the titanium.
I think best would be to grind down flat spots into the shaft (that the set screw can grab on better) with a Dremel tool...just like Pickled's suggestion for the stock CVDs...then use a little head lock on the set screw so it does not back out.

2...yes you do want more steering throw. The SSKs are limiting factor...although better since you don't get any chatter and probably slightly better angle than stock.
I'm using Pickled's mod for KPI with hybrid axles/dogbones which gives us extreme steering angles.
Old 03-04-2013, 08:17 AM
Tech Addict

Originally Posted by eunique
1...you can do that and change pulleys to reduce CS ratio. I have done it and currently running 1.81 but now after getting better practice and learning how to use the CS to your advantage to keep he rear sliding...I will probably go back to 2.14 CS
You don't have to use a new shaft..but you can get the titanium.
I think best would be to grind down flat spots into the shaft (that the set screw can grab on better) with a Dremel tool...just like Pickled's suggestion for the stock CVDs...then use a little head lock on the set screw so it does not back out.

2...yes you do want more steering throw. The SSKs are limiting factor...although better since you don't get any chatter and probably slightly better angle than stock.
I'm using Pickled's mod for KPI with hybrid axles/dogbones which gives us extreme steering angles.
Thanks a lot, man! I appreciate the info. Do you have suggestions on a good pulley combo that would allow use of the stock belts? Maybe a 15t and 20t on the rear pulley....do you know if those would work?

That's a bummer that the SSKs are limiting my steering. I incorrectly assumed they would provide enough throw. I'll have to go look through the thread for pickled's mod, I suppose.
Old 03-04-2013, 12:06 PM
Tech Initiate

Theres actually a set of "Ultra Wide Universals" from 3Racing and they're supposedly able to hit 55 degrees. The hybrid setup involves using MST axles which fit perfectly with the MST knuckles if you're running them for the KPI mod.

I've been waiting for a while for TQ to get the 13T and 22T alloy pullies, and I am considering just replacing all the 13T with the 12T and changing the 22T to 23T, which would raise the CS ratio to a little over 2.4 . Not sure how that would be like though. The other option would be to get the 21T which would result in a 2.22 CS ratio. Maybe I'll just get both and see
Old 03-04-2013, 12:24 PM
Tech Addict

Stupid question, but I'm unfamiliar with MST. Is that another car or an aftermarket supplier? I've been looking throughout this entire thread, but haven't found a list of items with a "how to" for the KPI mod. Is there a comprehensive list here....or perhaps on a different forum? I'd much appreciate it!
Old 03-04-2013, 03:36 PM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by Tommy R
Stupid question, but I'm unfamiliar with MST. Is that another car or an aftermarket supplier? I've been looking throughout this entire thread, but haven't found a list of items with a "how to" for the KPI mod. Is there a comprehensive list here....or perhaps on a different forum? I'd much appreciate it!
PIckled has the KPI mod more detailed in his post at driftmission.com
MST is a manufacturer of other drift cars...and we are using their front nnuckles for the kpi mod.
If u get the 3racing D3 wide angle CVDs, that will give you the wide angle that you want...However. ..there are traction advantages to the KPI mod (king pin inclination)

Mrjfang...have you gone to Sheldon's hobbies recently? They remodeled the track...its very nice and difficult with blind spots.
I just had practice runs today.
Old 03-04-2013, 03:39 PM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by mrjfang
Theres actually a set

I've been waiting for a while for TQ to get the 13T and 22T alloy pullies, e
ITs because 3racing is completely out of those pulleys...thats why tqrcracing is out also.
I found some Square and another brand on banzaihobby that has 13T pulleys in stock
Old 03-04-2013, 04:23 PM
Tech Initiate

Originally Posted by eunique
ITs because 3racing is completely out of those pulleys...thats why tqrcracing is out also.
I found some Square and another brand on banzaihobby that has 13T pulleys in stock
I saw your video! the track looks awesome. I have finals in two weeks so its been pretty busy, but I'll definitely make a visit to sheldon's once i'm back.

I still haven't decided on the pullies..I want to go with TQ since the price is much better though. Replacing the 12T all around might introduce more belt slop so I guess I can wait haha
Old 03-04-2013, 07:18 PM
Tech Regular

I know...I like ordering fr TQ also...plus when u get to certain amount, free shipping..or at least cheap and fast shipping to us.
12t is probably not too bad..but I guess just wait for the 13t.
Im tempted to order the 3racing wide angle and c-hub and knuckles...just for spares.
Old 03-04-2013, 08:26 PM
Tech Apprentice

If I lower the CS ratio, will it drift easier instead the car keep spinning?
Old 03-05-2013, 01:04 AM
Tech Initiate

enique: It never hurts to have spares! I feel like you could just extend the ball end on the lower suspension arm to get some KPI in if you run it without the C-hubs

bennychen: The way I've viewed CS ratios is the lower the ratio, the closer it is to 50-50 drifting which requires little adjustment and no constant countersteer, which may be easier to drift if you are used to 50-50. The higher the ratio, the more countersteer and countersteer angle is needed, as seen with RWD cars which tend to require much higher steering angles
Old 03-05-2013, 05:08 AM
Tech Apprentice

Originally Posted by mrjfang
enique: It never hurts to have spares! I feel like you could just extend the ball end on the lower suspension arm to get some KPI in if you run it without the C-hubs

bennychen: The way I've viewed CS ratios is the lower the ratio, the closer it is to 50-50 drifting which requires little adjustment and no constant countersteer, which may be easier to drift if you are used to 50-50. The higher the ratio, the more countersteer and countersteer angle is needed, as seen with RWD cars which tend to require much higher steering angles
Thanks, do you know where should i fit this exactly? Can you show me a picture where should I fit these?

Old 03-05-2013, 05:10 AM
Tech Addict

Originally Posted by bennychen
If I lower the CS ratio, will it drift easier instead the car keep spinning?
Hey bro it is difficult to drift CS at first start by putting something on the ground to drift around then start slowly and gradually build up in speed if you use to much throttle it will just do 360's when you can drift around the object try the other direction after you get good at drifting in circles place another object about four feet away and try drifting between them in a figure 8 that will give you training at switch backs transitioning between the 2 directions if you can drift in a figure 8 then your on your way to drifting tracks you can add other objects to drift around and past etc till you get good just remember throttle control is key when you want to do a big sweeping drift use more throttle and more counter steer when drifting tight corners back off altogether to swing the rear then slowly throttle up to get the line eventually you start to understand how the car is behaving but that doesn't mean you get good at drifting it. I understand the principles but still have difficulty putting it into practice!

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.