Community
Wiki Posts
Search

2012 Ifmar Electric Onroad World - Holland

Search this Thread

Old 07-30-2012, 03:11 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

If you do the last 10 years, Wheel radios will probably close the gap.

You have to remember Most of these drivers started racing over 20 years now when the wheel transmitter was not yet popular.... The youngest driver on the stick radio is Andy Moore.... All the new champions are on Wheel radios.
Old 07-30-2012, 03:49 PM
Tech Elite

Both events were awesome! What you read and hear about does not truly represent the events and what happened.
Old 07-30-2012, 04:05 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 9 (91%+)

Originally Posted by sidecarphil1
Originally Posted by rcsuicide
Congratulations to Jilles Groskamp for a very well deserved World Championship Title.

Out of curiosity I did some research on Jilles Groskamp and found out that he was the original Team Xray driver from 2001 through early 2008.
Originally Posted by Wikipedia
  • During the World Championships 2002, surprisingly, Xray's team driver Jilles Groskamp from Holland managed to make the A-Main with his T1 car.
  • During this 2003 season, Xray's Evo2 impressed once again by putting on an amazing performance at the European Championships in Austria where Jilles Groskamp finished second after an amazing fight to the finish line with the winner Juho Levanen from Finland.
  • In late 2005, at the Carpet World Cup in Switzerland, Martin Hudy and Jilles Groskamp both put on a great performance with the newly designed Xray T2. Martin finished 2nd and Jilles finished 3rd after the world champion Marc Rheinard.
  • The 2008 season started out with the loss of top driver Jilles Groskamp, who switched to Team Tamiya.
This begs the question, would Jilles Grosskamp still have been the 2012 Ifmar TC World Champion if he were driving an Xray instead of Tamiya?
no Jilles wouldn't be WC with Xray , the "team" of Tamiya is so well organised thay can plan what to do in every eventuallity , and thay discuss setups

The problem with Xray and Hudy they dont descuss anything as a team , they are all individuals and dont discuss set ups so much , Uwe said there is only one real "team" in the worlds and it was Tamiya and watching them it is true
So... what you're saying is that there's a chance. In other words if a team is well organized (and there is a lot of communication between team members to discuss setups and other methods that can help win a race), plus there is a top-notch driver like Jilles on the team, then there's a better chance for that team to win.

During an interview at the 1/12 scale championship, Rick Hohwart was quoted saying that his 1/12 scale car was much easier to drive after he copied his team-mate's setup. He made it into the A-Main because of that new setup.
Old 07-30-2012, 04:06 PM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by Rick Hohwart
Both events were awesome! What you read and hear about does not truly represent the events and what happened.
I'm sure you're right

That's the problem with only getting see 'highlights' etc and not actually being there to experience it all properly.
Old 07-30-2012, 05:15 PM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by Francis M.

You have to remember Most of these drivers started racing over 20 years now when the wheel transmitter was not yet popular.... The youngest driver on the stick radio is Andy Moore.... All the new champions are on Wheel radios.
Perhaps you're right, although in the UK the trend is still heavily towards sticks.

My comment was mainly aimed at the guys who keep posting comments (particularly on the UK nationals vids) ridiculing the stick radio's for being out of date.

Skiddins
Old 07-30-2012, 05:31 PM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 24 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Francis M.

I don't know, I started in 1984. No one in my area EVER used a stick radio. The first time I saw one being used by a racer was my first worlds in 2003. So I would say it has been more than 20 years. We don't like them in the states, hell you can't even get them in the states most of the time but the Europeans still love them.
Old 07-30-2012, 05:50 PM
Tech Lord

IFMAR champs since 2002 (last ten years).

Brian Berry, wheel
Mark Pavidis, wheel
Surikarn Chaidejsuriya, stick
Masami Hirosaka, stick
Lamberto Collari, stick
Hessel Roskam, stick
Billy Easton, wheel
Ryan Cavalieri, wheel
Guillaume Vray, ?
Adrien Bertin, stick I think, could be wrong
Marc Rheinard, wheel
Masami Hirosaka, stick
Lamberto Collari, stick
Ian Oddie, stick
Neil Cragg, stick
Ryan Cavalieri, wheel
Mark Pavidis, wheel
Keisuke Fukuda, wheel I think
Andrew Moore, stick
David Spashett, stick
Lamberto Collari, stick
Martin Lissau, ?
Hayato Matsuzaki, wheel
Jared Tebo, wheel
Atsushi Hara, wheel
Daniele Ielasi, stick
Marc Reinhard, wheel
Naoto Matsukura, wheel
Lamberto Collari, stick
Barend Myburgh, ?
Martin Achter, wheel
Martin Achter, wheel
Cody King, wheel
Ralph Burch, wheel
Marc Rheinard, wheel
Naoto Matsukura, wheel
Robert Pietsch, stick
Martin Bayer, wheel I think
Ryan Cavalieri, wheel
Ryan Cavalieri, wheel
Jilles Groskamp, stick
Naoto Matsukura, wheel

Can anyone fill in the blanks? Looks like wheel dominates offroad, mainly thanks to US domination while sticks are very well represented in the onroad scene.

Last edited by wingracer; 07-30-2012 at 06:43 PM.
Old 07-30-2012, 06:14 PM
Tech Elite

Spashett - Sticks
Rheinhard - Wheel
Old 07-30-2012, 06:46 PM
Tech Elite

I am thinking that this argument has certainly been discussed on RCtech.net before...
  1. 10/10/2003 - anyone else use a stick radio?
  2. 12/24/2005 - Stick OR Wheel type radios???‎
  3. 12/31/2007 - Gun radio VS stick radio
  4. 12/08/2009 - Switching from wheel to stick‎
  5. 10/13/2011 - stick radios, why or why not ?‎
Old 07-30-2012, 06:46 PM
Tech Lord

Originally Posted by Skiddins
Spashett - Sticks
Rheinhard - Wheel
Yeah, google image search is cool. Found pics of nearly all of them.
Old 07-30-2012, 06:49 PM
Tech Elite

Here's a really good explanation...
Originally Posted by Saint728 on 01/01/2008
The reason you see a few of those World Champions using a stick transmitter is because that is what they are used to using. Before the wheel transmitter came out there were only stick transmitters, so thats what people used. There is no reason for them to change over to the wheel transmitter because they are better using what they had. Now with the introduction of the wheel transmitter, people have gone away from the stick. If you are new and never used a transmitter before, then go with what you feel comfortable with. Some people like wheel transmitter and some people like stick.

Take Care,
Cheers, Patrick
Old 07-30-2012, 06:54 PM
Tech Lord

Originally Posted by wwddww34
Here's a really good explanation...
Again, I still find that dubious. Like I said, wheel was already the ONLY thing used in the states in 1984 when I was 10 and most of those guys are younger then I am.
Old 07-30-2012, 07:13 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 30 (94%+)

One thing isn't better than the other, its all feel. Hell, I'd like to have a stick radio but started using wheel and have been able to get better deals on them since. I personally think that using stick for throttle modulation and wheel for steering would be ideal, but that's the opposite of what is possible with my K.I.Y.
Old 07-31-2012, 01:14 AM
Shop Owner

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Rocky8333
One thing isn't better than the other, its all feel. Hell, I'd like to have a stick radio but started using wheel and have been able to get better deals on them since. I personally think that using stick for throttle modulation and wheel for steering would be ideal, but that's the opposite of what is possible with my K.I.Y.
Totally aggree with you and suprising that KIY is the other way around!
Old 07-31-2012, 02:26 AM
Tech Adept

Another version of 12th racing videos

http://www.kimihiko-yano.net/blog/archives/10075

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.