Community
Wiki Posts
Search

How to verify my temp gauge is correct?

Search this Thread

Old 07-16-2012, 05:24 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 44 (100%+)
Default How to verify my temp gauge is correct?

I have a new Infrared Temp Gauge/Gun, which seem to read 50 hotter then other temp gauges around the 180 mark. Does anyone know of a way for me to verify if my new gauge is measuring correctly or if it really off... What is interesting is it measures correctly at lower temperature, it seem to be off at higher temps.

Any suggestion of how to verify the temp it reads to the real temp?
Old 07-16-2012, 06:23 PM
Tech Regular

Boiling water is 213 degrees and water with lots of ice cubes are at 32 degrees.... your choice
Old 07-16-2012, 07:32 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

If your lazy you can point it at your thermostat
Old 07-16-2012, 07:43 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 49 (100%+)

Make sure the lens cover on it is clean. I know you said its new, but it only takes a day in your pocket to get covered in lint, which reads less acurately the hotter the item your temping gets. It also reads more accurately closer to room temp.
Old 07-16-2012, 07:52 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

Boiling water sounds the best area due to the fact he said it reads very well at lower temps just not higher temps. The only other thing I could think of is if your grilling and got a meat temp gauge and compare. Just hope to god that the meat one is accurate.
Old 07-16-2012, 08:31 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 88 (100%+)

Water does not boil at the same temp everywhere...might want to bounce it off of your home thermostat.
Old 07-16-2012, 09:31 PM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by andrewdoherty
Make sure the lens cover on it is clean. I know you said its new, but it only takes a day in your pocket to get covered in lint, which reads less acurately the hotter the item your temping gets. It also reads more accurately closer to room temp.
This what is what is going on... At 180, it reads 50 degrees hotter then the correct temp, but at 90 it reads correctly.... This is the 3rd temp gauge in 2 weeks all of them are doing the same thing, when I compare it to a calibrated temp gun it clearly is way off, when reading the motor temp...

Have check to make sure it is clean.....
Old 07-16-2012, 09:35 PM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by Team STPN
Boiling water is 213 degrees and water with lots of ice cubes are at 32 degrees.... your choice
Interesting... ran a cup of water though the Kreug machine, which makes the water 192, into a cup and it reads the water at 132, which is the same temp as the cup... Dropped in a food temp gauge it read 188.... Water does not have the reflective properties for Infrared temp gauges... I Google it... that is how I know this is not reasonable test for these Infrared temp guns.... They need to be able to reflect the Infrared back to the gauge. I do not have a problem with it from 110 and below... so ice will not help it reads an ice cube correctly... it is higher temp is when it go inaccurate....

I will try it with my coffee tomorrow maybe I will get luck and it work.... I thought about the hot water pipe but my hot water does not get to 200 degrees....

Last edited by bvoltz; 07-16-2012 at 09:47 PM.
Old 07-16-2012, 09:37 PM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by NolanP
Boiling water sounds the best area due to the fact he said it reads very well at lower temps just not higher temps. The only other thing I could think of is if your grilling and got a meat temp gauge and compare. Just hope to god that the meat one is accurate.
Grill temp gauges can have a variance of 50 Degrees... So will your oven.... Nothing like coming off the track and seeing your temp gun show 220... Then you figure out it was 170 after I tossed it the garbage because I thought I wreck the motor...

Last edited by bvoltz; 07-16-2012 at 09:50 PM.
Old 07-16-2012, 10:54 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

Change the battery see if it works ?
Old 07-17-2012, 04:39 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 49 (100%+)

Maybe the default emissivity for the temp gauge you're using is screwy? Google what the emissivity for a particular surface is and check your gauge if it is adjustable...?
Old 07-17-2012, 04:49 AM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 24 (100%+)

Originally Posted by andrewdoherty
Maybe the default emissivity for the temp gauge you're using is screwy? Google what the emissivity for a particular surface is and check your gauge if it is adjustable...?
That's what I was thinking too, you beat me to it

If you have an old motor laying around, dunk the can into a pot of boiling water, let it get good and hot, pull it out (pliers are your friend) and check it.
Old 07-17-2012, 06:43 AM
Tech Elite

This is getting interesting... per the manual: for the TGX1 unit....

"The emissivity can be adjusted to allow the TGX1 to be used for a variety of other uses other than taking temperature readings of nitro engines. The emissivity must be set correctly for the material being measured or the
temperature reading may not be accurate.
A search of the internet will show many links for ‘emissivity tables’. Keep in mind these tables are for different types of materials in general, and are not geared directly for R/C products. In most cases, only minor adjustments to the emissivity setting might be needed for different types of engine heads. If
unsure what emissivity setting to use, the default setting of 1.00 (100E) typically provides the most accurate temperature reading for nitro engines when used as shown in the illustration at left.
The emissivity of the temperature gauge can be changed from 0.05 (5E) to 1.00 (100E). To change the emissivity setting, press the MODE button 3 times then press MEASURE button once to advance the setting one at a time. Holding down the MEASURE button will scroll through the entire range of settings. Once the unit reaches 100E, it will start over at 5E and go through the entire range again. Once the desired emissivity setting is reached, press the MODE button once to lock in the setting and immediately return you to the main screen. This setting will be retained for future use or until it is changed manually."

So I change this setting to get it to read correctly on a cup of coffee, then took a reading on an ice cube which was -4....

So it would be interesting to see what people have this setting at that is reading it correctly... And how many have these types of units, that think they are reading correctly and they are not.....
Old 07-17-2012, 07:02 AM
Tech Elite

To add to this... I just found this on the web at: Link

"For R/C use, there are 3 commonly used
emissivity settings:

1) Aluminum: Sandblasted (standard car and airplane engines, not anodized) set the emissivity at 21E.

2) Aluminum: Anodized (for colored car and airplane engines, may be powder coated) set the emissivity at 77E.

3) Batteries Packs (with or without covering) and Airplane Covering: Leave at default 95E."

Make me think that a number of people are taking incorrect temps because the temp gun's settings.

The other option I keep reading over and over, is to place a small sticker on the can and take the temps from that....
Old 07-17-2012, 07:56 AM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 24 (100%+)

Originally Posted by bvoltz
So I change this setting to get it to read correctly on a cup of coffee, then took a reading on an ice cube which was -4....
Remember an ice cube straight out of the freezer WILL be below freezing. Once it's melting, then it should read 0C.

But who cares about the temp of an ice cube or coffee. What matters is accurate temp of the motor so again, boil an old can and check it.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.