R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 02-27-2005, 08:38 AM   #1
Tech Fanatic
Trader Rating: 19 (100%+)
Default Trinity P2K2 Pro Question

I'm a noob to this hobby so please bear with me with this simple question.

I recently purchased the Trinity P2K2 Pro for my M-04L I got this past Christmas. I've read on some boards that the pinion gear should freely turn. However, with this motor, it doesn't turn freely. It seems to stick with every turn. The stock motor turns freely and the stock motor in my old Kyosho Raider turns freely which made me suspicious that maybe this motor is defective.

Is this motor defective or is this natural since it is a different design? Also, the motor lacked a green spring. I went to the local hobby shop and bought a set of springs for it. They gave me two reds. I recently discovered that the green spring should go on the negative side and the red on the positive side. Could this be what's causing the stiction? Will having the same two colored springs damage my motor?

I've only run it minimally inside the house house just so I could adjust the tie-rods and straighten out the car's ride. Thanks for the help.
Aries326 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2005, 09:33 AM   #2
Tech Apprentice

Your motor should "stick" in the magnetic field generated by the can. It will "stick" in several places per one revolution of the pinion. Your older motors probably didn't have as strong of magnets.

Two red springs will be fine. A green spring is slightly less stiff and people sometimes use them on the negative side of the motor for a very slight performance increase for racing.

Do you plan to race with the motor?
Yankey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2005, 10:05 AM   #3
Tech Elite

Yeah, what you are experiencing is normal unless it is really hard to turn. You are feeling the resistance of the magnetic field and the springs are color coded for different tensions that push the brushes against the communtator for different RPM, etc.
RC Car Action Editor and Photographer
Carl Hyndman
edseb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2005, 10:43 AM   #4
Tech Fanatic
Trader Rating: 19 (100%+)

Thanks, guys! I figured the resistance was from the magnets. I just wanted to make sure. I don't think I'll be racing the car at all. Maybe just my brother when he finally gets his M-04L with the Eunos body. He's got a supercharged Miata and he wants to get an RC car to go along with it.

I wouldn't mind getting into races since I've done some reading and hop-ups to this car (stabilzers, ball-bearings, toe-in-rear, servo-saver ). Maybe I'll continue with the other more expensive hop-ups. This stuff can get pretty technical and interesting.

Problem is, I went to the local hobby shop and all they have is a dirt track. I've watched some of the races and most of them were with trucks. Kinda senseless to add all the hop-ups if I can't race anyone.
Aries326 is offline   Reply With Quote