Wiki Posts
Search
Like Tree7Likes

Turnigy TrackStar Motors

Search this Thread

Old 05-19-2015, 05:45 AM
Tech Rookie

Hello,

i drive a VBC D06 with the Trackstar 10,5T and 120A Turbo ESC on a Outdoor Track.
The Track has a fast Layout.
Our Rules for the Club Races. Motor 10,5T, no limited Gearing and no limited ESC.
Now my question: Is it better to choose a gearing like 5:1 with boost (Timing) and, or turbo
or more in 4:1 and less Timing?

Patrick

P.S.
Sorry for my not correct english. native language is german.
Old 05-20-2015, 06:45 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Originally Posted by cab pat
Hello,

i drive a VBC D06 with the Trackstar 10,5T and 120A Turbo ESC on a Outdoor Track.
Our Rules for the Club Races. Motor 10,5T, no limited Gearing and no limited ESC.
Now my question: Is it better to choose a gearing like 5:1 with boost (Timing) and, or turbo

Patrick

P.S.
Sorry I cant answer your question and unfortunately your lucky if you even get a response on this specific thread. I started off here asking question/s for help and eventually found my own answers and been posting as much data from my own personal experiences in hopes to be of help to anyone that comes across this thread. There is alot of good info here that members have posted in the past. Try a google search , Im sure your question has been answered elsewhere, I run blinky, or I'd share any knowledge I had to help you ! Also you may want to be a little more specific as to what you mean by better ? Better for temps ? Track size seems to always be an issue as well !
Old 07-02-2015, 03:13 AM
Tech Master

Anyone running this motor in a 13.5 or 17.5 WGT car?
Old 07-02-2015, 04:24 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

Originally Posted by cab pat
Hello,

Patrick

P.S.
The advice I was given when running boosted ESC's (though I rarely do now days as they are banned here) was to gear the car so you achieve the performance you want through the twisty parts of the track (acceleration etc) and then add timing boost to make it as fast as you need on the straights, monitoring temperatures to make sure you don't go too far.

IMO its all about feel and performance and no one can give you a magic formula for that
Old 07-04-2015, 12:46 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

I have a couple of these motors and we have found that the timing varies a bit from motor to motor when placed at the same mark. Another thing (and I have a dyno that shows this) advancing the timing will increase peak power to a point. But the gotcha is that beyond a point efficiency falls much faster than the power increases. The other thing that doesn't show up to those of you setting a free rev amp draw. Bumping the timing rapidly increases the ramp up amp draw. An example is, the Fantom dyno is a flywheel acceleration dyno. It only places a load on the motor while accelerating (spooling up) the flywheel. It takes readings and gives value for rpm, torque, wattage, amp draw and efficiency every tenth of a second. It will quickly give you info on what timing change or changing a rotor (strength) can do. One of the things I used to ignore was the spool up amp draw. It turns out this is more important than the free rev amp draw. Now they can be loosely correlated (higher free rev amp draw usually means higher spool up amp draw) but usually not linearly. This finally hit me when I found that my 17.5 preformed much better (blinky oval car) with the timing on the second line down. The spool up amp draw was half of what it was just a line and a half higher. And folks that is a difference of 20 amps vs. 10 at the first dyno reading. In free rev there was only 1 amp difference between the settings. And at the .1, .2 and .3 second readings the car made more power with the lower timing. At those values the motor was around the rpm range it runs on the track. I have been doing this for close to 30 years and this one finally hit me. All you have to do is gear it to go.
Old 07-05-2015, 07:33 PM
Tech Master

When you say second line down, is that on the + or - side? On oval, I run the 21.5 and found no need for timing on the + side. I have not tried the - side. I also ran 17.5 trucks with a little timing.
Old 07-21-2015, 02:29 AM
Tech Adept

can I say that the 10.5t trackstar would be great for on road touring car use.?

considering this, honouring xcar and orca/yeah racing equivalents
Old 07-27-2015, 07:30 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

I have a red can motor, is there anyway to replace the bearings, the smaller one seems fused in? I get squeeling under braking
Old 07-28-2015, 07:14 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Djchow85
I have a red can motor, is there anyway to replace the bearings, the smaller one seems fused in? I get squeeling under braking
Is the squeeling coming from the motor or your gears???
Old 08-07-2015, 06:40 PM
Tech Regular

The new V2 motor can looks like it will run cooler but not sure I want to run lower kv than my first gen 21.5 TS motor. I do like the fact the timing is adjustable to 50 without modding it. May order one and just see how it runs compared to the last version.
Attached Thumbnails Turnigy TrackStar Motors-80122_2_high.jpg  

Last edited by rtenzo02; 08-07-2015 at 07:20 PM.
Old 08-08-2015, 01:52 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Not a fan of those extra holes, okay for indoor I guess?
Old 08-08-2015, 10:01 PM
Tech Regular

Has anyone replaced a shaft on one of the v1 motors? I bent mine today and would like to fix it. Where can you get parts for them?
Old 08-08-2015, 11:34 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)

It is interesting that they are listing a low Kv for the V2 21.5T, but in the description they say it is optimized for high RPM. It also looks like there is more timing adjustability. The only real problem with the current model is the lack of RPM in cars where you have limited gearing options (e.g. M-Chassis). I'm hopeful that V2 is capable of some serious revs.
Old 08-08-2015, 11:36 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)

Originally Posted by filippimini
Has anyone replaced a shaft on one of the v1 motors? I bent mine today and would like to fix it. Where can you get parts for them?
Reedy rotors apparently fit. See if you can get a used one from the marketplace.
http://www.rctech.net/forum/12002642-post126.html
Old 08-09-2015, 05:39 PM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by funked1
It is interesting that they are listing a low Kv for the V2 21.5T, but in the description they say it is optimized for high RPM. It also looks like there is more timing adjustability. The only real problem with the current model is the lack of RPM in cars where you have limited gearing options (e.g. M-Chassis). I'm hopeful that V2 is capable of some serious revs.
+1 I race on a larger outdoor track with a 120' straight, the extra top end is needed !

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.