Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Pan car wheel adapters

Search this Thread

Old 04-27-2012, 02:25 PM
Tech Adept

Default Pan car wheel adapters

I live and race in Cancun, Mexico. We use a outdoor basketball court made of asphalt with a textured paint on it. It gives great traction for our 1/10th scale electric touring cars, but not to good for our foam tired pan cars. Is there anyway to adapt touring car tires to a pan car such as the RC10L? I know..... don't laugh our stuff is old but we have to make it last. There aren't any hobby shops at all in Cancun so we are trying to find something on the internet. I think BSR & ProLine made them back in the day but BSR's web site is unresponsive and no luck with ProLine so far. Any help would be very much appreciated. When I'm allowed to post pictures I'll show you what RC is like Caribbean style where we can race outside all year long.
Old 04-27-2012, 02:57 PM
Tech Champion

Is there any possibility that you would be allowed to spray sugar water on the track and then maybe wash it off later?

I think you will find that TC tires may work great on TCs but not so good on pan cars due to the lighter chassis and direct drive. Also the pan car bodies are made for the foam tire sized rim which are smaller in diameter than TC rims and tires...so getting the body to fit over the tires may be an issue.

But if you are determined to try...Tamiya used to make the F103 GT which is basically the F103 pan car with axles that take a TC rim and the bodies are made nicely to fit over that size tire.

Alternatively BSR does make a rubber capped tire on a pan car rim. Now typically capped tires are used for smooth concrete ovals but they do list some of them as being asphalt tires as well.

Good luck!
Old 04-27-2012, 04:58 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 49 (100%+)

In regard to the tire size concern I think some of the 1/12th sized sedans /mini sedans use a 12mm hex still with a more 1/10th pancar sized wheel/tires.
Old 04-27-2012, 05:20 PM
Tech Champion

That's a good idea...hadn't thought of that

Come to think of it...if those are too small there is also the F1 rims for the Tamiya F201, HPI F10, and the 3Racing FGX that all use a standard TC hex as well.
Old 04-28-2012, 08:23 AM
Tech Master

If you want to run rubbers on a pan car your best option is a set of BSR capped tyres http://johnsbsrracing.com/cap-tires

If you want to run touring car tyres you will have to find someone to machine up the adapters for you for the rears and you will have to modify Tamiya F103GT front hubs and axles to fit them on the front. The problem of using touring car tyres is that you have a much smaller contact patch which is fine for 4wd, but putting all the power of a rwd pan chassis without the extra weight of a touring car to help isn't going to work.

Tamiya made the F103GT chassis to use touring car tyres on it, generally to get them to grip meant finding the softest, widest rear tyres you could and even then they were very tricky to drive with any serious power.
Old 04-28-2012, 09:50 AM
Tech Regular

....Cancun Tom, greetings. A company (B.R.P.-Bud's racing products) made an adapter (pan car to hex)-several years ago .Though I haven't seen any on ebay, these adapters may be around somewhere.
Try logging omto TeamCRP- they have the opposite adapter( 4-bolt to "pin drive" ).
...if you get a chance to look at these pieces(two per pack) you may be able to 'modify' the plastic pieces into a hex - i heven't tried this myself but you may find a way to utilize these pieces.
Good luck.
Old 04-29-2012, 01:40 AM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

Yes you can run Pan tires on all 4 corners. Check ebay for pan adapter . The guys sells plenty and i have used them. They will allow you to lock the adapter to your axle but don't expect a clamp-on type. The adapter works pretty will im currently running it on an Ofna Jl10 Drift Chassis..

and be ready to fabricate spacers and even risers if necessary..

If you need a hand finding parts PM me
Old 04-29-2012, 01:48 AM
Tech Champion

Originally Posted by DarkSides
Yes you can run Pan tires on all 4 corners. Check ebay for pan adapter . The guys sells plenty and i have used them. They will allow you to lock the adapter to your axle but don't expect a clamp-on type. The adapter works pretty will im currently running it on an Ofna Jl10 Drift Chassis..

and be ready to fabricate spacers and even risers if necessary..

If you need a hand finding parts PM me
Other way around...he wants TC wheels on a pan car...not pan car wheels on a TC.
Old 04-29-2012, 02:09 AM
Tech Addict

http://johnsbsrracing.com/cap-tires/...actory-pro-net
Old 04-29-2012, 08:22 AM
Tech Fanatic

I emailed BSR Racing to ask about which capped tires to use for pan car racing on asphalt, and he emailed back that they aren't meant for asphalt, but for large banked outdoor oval tracks. He said if you really want to try them, to try the Pro Net red or pink capped tires.

He also said that foam tires will work better on asphalt. We race at a Kmart parking lot, and they won't allow us to use sugar water or any type of track prep additive; so all we can do is sweep it as best we can. The surface is at least 15 years old and is no longer black, but more a grayish color. Grip is so-so at best. Trying to figure out which tires to use myself.
Old 04-29-2012, 07:53 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 49 (100%+)

I think it would be worth trying some of the Tamiya pan car tires, like the ones that come with the Toms 1/12th scale. I've never used them but they seem to be of a softer and different type foam rubber. I'd expect some accelerated wear however.
Old 07-11-2012, 12:03 PM
Tech Adept

Default Wheel adapters

Thanks for all the suggestions. So far I can't find anything that would work. My situation changed a bit since my original post. I now have 10 sets of Johns BSR capped tires for my pan car.( 20 rears and 20 fronts.) I would like to use them on my TC3 touring car. I'm the only one here in Cancun that has a pan car so I don't have anyone to race with it. The touring car is another matter, we all have them and I would like to start using up the capped tires by adapting them to fit the touring car chassis. It would mean a pair of front and a pair of rear adapters that would mate the pan car wheels to the hex on the touring car. Because we don't have any hobby shops here my ability to source material here is very limited. So I need to buy something already finished and ready to use and ship it here.