Community
Wiki Posts
Search

UF1 STILL ALIVE AND WELL!

Search this Thread

Old 07-09-2012, 09:14 PM
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by texastc
Find the F104 Pro thread in this forum and the F1 is still alive in SoCal thread in the California forum. Sit back and relax and read for a few days. Worth every page. Ask questions, the F1 crowd seems to be the most helpful and knowledgeable crowd on RCTech.
Thanks! I've subscribed to both and will start reading through them. That said, The tamiya f104 v2 kit comes in and out of stock all the time. Will I regret pulling the trigger next time tower tells me it's in stock?

-kyri
Old 07-09-2012, 09:16 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Originally Posted by F N CUDA
So how many UF1 threads are there now?

Where we gonna meet?
We should probably just choose one...
Old 07-09-2012, 09:17 PM
Tech Elite

So as you might or might not have heard , Tony Phalen will be taking over the UF1 website after this season... I can't think of anyone better to do it and his enthusiasm for the series is perfect... I'm looking forward to see how far he can take this... and also looking forward to the next season
Old 07-09-2012, 09:17 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)

Originally Posted by RedBullFiXX
A note from Scotty about F1 at iic this year

F-1 rules will not be much out of the norm.
Handout tire
FGX car will not be allowed.
No Gyros allowed.
Working on the final details to the chassis other things allowed. No fully adjustable front ends like last year.

I will have all the details posted soon.

F-1 rocks.

Thanks
Scotty

http://www.rctech.net/forum/electric...tty-ernst.html
If I can be certain I will not be out of the country during that week this year, looks like it would be a blast for F1. Just a bigger event to run with a bunch of local friends.

With Futaba already selling a receiver with a built in gyro and companies like Spectrum selling steering servo's with built in gyro's, Tech could be a little more busy.

Lightfoot - does this mean you will have more time to tune and drive and will really kick our butts next season ?

Panda

Last edited by Kevin CBR; 07-09-2012 at 09:33 PM.
Old 07-09-2012, 09:56 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 26 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Kevin CBR
With Futaba already selling a receiver with a built in gyro and companies like Spectrum selling steering servo's with built in gyro's, Tech could be a little more busy.

Panda
IIC is a big stage to get "BOO'd" off of.
tech: turn the car on, if the tires wiggle with no imput of the radio, you forfeit the week. seems simple
Old 07-09-2012, 10:07 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 26 (100%+)

Originally Posted by 240Z
Perhaps I was over thinking your answer in my previous post...

If you are asking if UF1 has some type of governing body that sanctions races or wants to "qualify" a program,..... the short answer is there is no process. Everyone is on their own to determine the rules, venues and scoring.
tim, with all due respect for you and the series, when another affiliate wants to use "UF1" for their series or group(New Jersey, Nebraska...), it should be recommended they or anyone adhere to the baseline rules the is UF1. rubber tire, 21.5, "realisticish", format...

i definately dont think anyone wants the UF1 name to mean a 100 different running formats of cars or overall programs. RCGT got muddied that way.

yours and charles' program is a winning setup! that is UF1
Old 07-09-2012, 11:05 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)
Default How about UF1 Bikini show alive and cocktail thread

Originally Posted by TPhalen
We should probably just choose one...
Is it time to start another one?

Old 07-09-2012, 11:06 PM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by mkennedy
IIC is a big stage to get "BOO'd" off of.
tech: turn the car on, if the tires wiggle with no input of the radio, you forfeit the week. seems simple
Seems Cuda has had weekends his tires wiggle with no input when he is on the drivers stand. (no, not saying he's running a gyro, just bad / really old electronics). Just pointing out where technology in RC is headed.

So Cuda - have you finally put in an esc that is still currently being sold and not museum pieces ?

Panda
Old 07-09-2012, 11:09 PM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by HeliYogi
Is it time to start another one?

I know I am looking forward to the Korean GP round of the UF1 Summer series.

Panda
Attached Thumbnails UF1 STILL ALIVE AND WELL!-f1-grand-prix-korea-ndrts99dms2l.jpg  
Old 07-09-2012, 11:16 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

Originally Posted by mkennedy
tim, with all due respect for you and the series, when another affiliate wants to use "UF1" for their series or group(New Jersey, Nebraska...), it should be recommended they or anyone adhere to the baseline rules the is UF1. rubber tire, 21.5, "realisticish", format...

i definately dont think anyone wants the UF1 name to mean a 100 different running formats of cars or overall programs. RCGT got muddied that way.

yours and charles' program is a winning setup! that is UF1
Good points Mike. It took the better part of 2010 for Charles and I to get a basic package together and work out the details of what worked for those of us racing at the time. We struggled with things like foam vs. rubber early on and as recently as the last summer series we were still running an open class option because some racers wanted to run the F103 and a big motor with foam tires. The important thing at that time was that we get people out to race with what they had to race.

In post #63, I did outline our general rules that we currently run under. We know what works for us and the current package is well documented on the UF1 website. However, just like VTA tracks and club racing groups do not all adhere to the same formula but develop their own program and rules as fits their local needs.

If they would like to use a proven formula, I think we have a fairly decent rules package as posted and I would suggest that be the goal if just starting out and looking to buy new hardware. Perhaps we need to get it documented a little better?
Old 07-10-2012, 12:45 AM
Tech Master

Default Can we be a Club?

Originally Posted by lightfoot
So as you might or might not have heard , Tony Phalen will be taking over the UF1 website after this season...
I was just on the email exchanging messages and thanking Charles for creating the UF1 and being such a cool dude. My best wishes and regards to him for promoting F-1, us and the hobby as he did.

Regarding Charles post, I don’t know is this is actually a passing of the baton to Tony Phalen, but it sounds like it (please correct me if I misread it, sometimes I get lost in translation - )

In my modest opinion, a group of us have been racing together since 2009 and since its creation UF1 was paternalistically lead and organized by Charles (and he did a hell of a good job) - to my knowledge, investing time and money and not making any profit, but his own satisfaction.

For four years we have followed enthusiastically Uf1 and the “club” has grown. Perhaps now is the time that we all help actively participating to create a formal (but flexible) organization. Most clubs that make it in time have: rules, membership and elected leadership.

So I call to all the UF1 gang and Tony to take the necessary leadership towards creating the UF1 SO-CAL Chapter Club (or whatever other crazy or serious name we can come up with) including all the accoutrements that we deem necessary for the cause.

For this I volunteer time and effort. Who else is in?

Cheers,
Marcos

Last edited by HeliYogi; 07-10-2012 at 01:05 AM.
Old 07-10-2012, 12:48 AM
Tech Master

Default Go UF1!

Old 07-10-2012, 01:00 AM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by HeliYogi
I was just on the email exchanging messages and thanking Charles for creating the UF1 and being such a cool dude. My best wishes and regards to him for promoting F-1, us and the hobby as he did.

Regarding Charles post, I don’t know is this is actually a passing of the baton to Tony Phalen, but it sounds like it (please correct me if I misread it, sometimes I get lost in translation - )

In my modest opinion, a group of us have been racing together since 2009 and since its creation UF1 was paternalistically lead and organized by Charles (and he did a hell of a good job) - to my knowledge, investing time and money and not making any profit, but his own satisfaction.

For these years we all followed enthusiastically and the “club” has grown. Perhaps now is the time that we all help actively participating to create a formal (but flexible) organization. Most clubs that make it in time have: rules, membership and elected leadership.

So I call to all the UF1 gang and Tony to take the necessary leadership towards creating the UF1 SO-CAL Chapter Club (or whatever other crazy or serious name we can come up with) including all the accoutrements that we deem necessary for the cause.

For this I volunteer time and effort. Who else is in?

Cheers,
Marcos
First off I'd like to say that this will always be Charles thang; he, along with Mr. Tim Ruwe, created an outstanding series that is growing leaps and bounds beyond what everyone had hoped for.

That said, I want to say that while he is 'passing the baton' to me, this will not be a single person's effort. I'm hoping to gather up a few key players to create an FIA of sorts to handle decisions for the future of our UF1 series. While the plan is still in it's infancy, the goal is to make sure that the series remains fair to everyone that participates in it. Over the past couple weeks, I've talked to a few people and we've come up with some cool ideas that we hope will not only grow the series, but also keep the fun and excitement that we've all come to love...all this while staying in line with Sir Charles initial gameplan.

We'll keep ya posted with what's in store for the future UF1 series. But until then, it's still belongs to the man, the myth and the UF1 legend, Mr. Lightfoot.
Old 07-10-2012, 05:56 AM
avs
Tech Master

Originally Posted by Kevin CBR

Panda
can you identify a specific example of this? i just looked thru futaba's and spektrum's websites and cannot find any example of a gyro servo or receiver combination.

i could only find the heli gyro's, 1axis for tail control and 3axis for flybarless.
Old 07-10-2012, 06:02 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 22 (100%+)

This exact same gyro hysteria played out in the Midwest on dirt ovals a couple years ago. Shaking the cars is probably the simplest way to go in terms of tech.

One thing is for sure, it creates a lot of bad blood, since anybody who is fast is instantly doubted. Gyros have been illegal in every form of rc racing for years anyway.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.