Search

UF1 STILL ALIVE AND WELL!

Search this Thread

Old 07-09-2012, 03:22 PM
Suspended

Trader Rating: 69 (100%+)
Thumbs up

Originally Posted by Juan Aveytia
How do you start a series? The Ripon track owner is a major F1 fan. And I'm going to convince him to start a series here in Northern California.
I think one of the best ways is to participate in one UF1 event in SoCal if you and the track owner can make it.

A lot of race information can be gathered as well!
Old 07-09-2012, 03:30 PM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by dominick i.
UF1 New Jersey is now being organized.

www.uf1newjersey.com
Quick bump for any Northeast F1 fans....Our opening date is October 14th, at Wagner Park in Williamstown NJ....
Old 07-09-2012, 03:59 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

How do you start a series? The Ripon track owner is a major F1 fan. And I'm going to convince him to start a series here in Northern California.
Wow, that is a tough one to answer… No disrespect intended towards an experienced racer like yourself, but it is kind of like asking “how do you buy a car?”.

I guess the first thing is to get a core group of F1 racers together and agree on a package.
We run:
21.5 w/endbell timing allowed
no-boost ESC
max width of 190mm
rubber tires
Direct drive (F104) and FGX chassis are allowed
Realistic”ish” bodies/wings
  • Tell your race director you are going to run one 2 minute fast lap qualifier to seed the mains.
  • Run three 10 or 15 minute races, resorting the mains between heats (if you have more than one main, bump ups are too complicated for most directors)
  • Optionally, have pit stops in mains for additional strategy and realism (and give you a few seconds to blink).
  • Score by total laps run or assign points by finish position in each main.

The UF1 website is here for more detail. Feel free to ask if you have any more questions.
Old 07-09-2012, 04:14 PM
R/C Tech Elite Member

Do it Juan! He already comes up to Speedworld when we have F1 races.
Old 07-09-2012, 05:42 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

Great to see you guys firing your board back up. We are making good progress down here in Houston and have the same issues, but like you guys, were all good friends and we love what were doing and will get better....

Great news on UF1 NewJersey! Can we start thinking UF1 National Championship?
Old 07-09-2012, 06:07 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Evoracer
So, is there any specific "process" to starting a UF1 program ?? Central Florida might be in need.
Perhaps I was over thinking your answer in my previous post...

If you are asking if UF1 has some type of governing body that sanctions races or wants to "qualify" a program,..... the short answer is there is no process. Everyone is on their own to determine the rules, venues and scoring.
Old 07-09-2012, 06:29 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Registration for IIC Vegas is now open... I just registered for F1 and 17.5 12th scale... If you haven't been and you can... GO... seriously the most fun RC experience I've had....

http://www.intchamps.com/index.php
Old 07-09-2012, 06:32 PM
Suspended

Originally Posted by lightfoot
Registration for IIC Vegas is now open... I just registered for F1 and 17.5 12th scale... If you haven't been and you can... GO... seriously the most fun RC experience I've had....

http://www.intchamps.com/index.php
Which F1 are you running? The proto-FGX? The F1 rule is still showing TBD.
Old 07-09-2012, 06:34 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 34 (100%+)

A note from Scotty about F1 at iic this year

F-1 rules will not be much out of the norm.
Handout tire
FGX car will not be allowed.
No Gyros allowed.
Working on the final details to the chassis other things allowed. No fully adjustable front ends like last year.

I will have all the details posted soon.

F-1 rocks.

Thanks
Scotty

http://www.rctech.net/forum/electric...tty-ernst.html
Old 07-09-2012, 06:39 PM
Suspended

Questions??

Originally Posted by RedBullFiXX
A note from Scotty about F1 at iic this year

F-1 rules will not be much out of the norm.
Handout tire
FGX car will not be allowed.
No Gyros allowed.
Working on the final details to the chassis other things allowed. No fully adjustable front ends like last year.

I will have all the details posted soon.

F-1 rocks.

Thanks
Scotty

http://www.rctech.net/forum/electric...tty-ernst.html
Are the handout tires still going to be RIDE? I used RIDE Soft-Soft and the front RIDE rims were rubbing on the pin under certain height configuration. Any chance of Pit Shimizu being allowed?
Old 07-09-2012, 06:53 PM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by eComet
Are the handout tires still going to be RIDE? I used RIDE Soft-Soft and the front RIDE rims were rubbing on the pin under certain height configuration. Any chance of Pit Shimizu being allowed?
I wish... but don't count on it....
Old 07-09-2012, 07:28 PM
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by dominick i.
UF1 New Jersey is now being organized.

www.uf1newjersey.com
Was racing short course with Dominick all weekend when he told me about UF1, I'm a huge f1 fan, watching British GP on dvr now. This is my first season back in RC after a 20 year hiatus. Only ever raced off road 2wd mod buggy back in day, 2wd mod SC this summer to get back into hobby. But the car from way back when I remember most fondly was a Tamiya F1 lotus in John Player Special livery.

So I want in to UF1. I live in NYC, willing to drive to NJ to race.

What should I do/buy to get started? Looking for info about kits, motor limits and tires. Basically what does a UF1 newbie need to start racing?

-kyri
Old 07-09-2012, 07:40 PM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by ksarantakos
Was racing short course with Dominick all weekend when he told me about UF1, I'm a huge f1 fan, watching British GP on dvr now. This is my first season back in RC after a 20 year hiatus. Only ever raced off road 2wd mod buggy back in day, 2wd mod SC this summer to get back into hobby. But the car from way back when I remember most fondly was a Tamiya F1 lotus in John Player Special livery.

So I want in to UF1. I live in NYC, willing to drive to NJ to race.

What should I do/buy to get started? Looking for info about kits, motor limits and tires. Basically what does a UF1 newbie need to start racing?

-kyri
Find the F104 Pro thread in this forum and the F1 is still alive in SoCal thread in the California forum. Sit back and relax and read for a few days. Worth every page. Ask questions, the F1 crowd seems to be the most helpful and knowledgeable crowd on RCTech.
Old 07-09-2012, 08:19 PM
Tech Champion

Originally Posted by 240Z
The UF1 format was an experiment to simulate an F1 series with our RC cars. As RC technology has evolved over the last 10 years the format for racing has only been minimally modified from the traditional race format. So, the UF1 format was developed to give the club racer a race experience with more focus on wheel to wheel racing. This concept could be applied to any RC class. After having raced under the UF1 format for club racing, you don’t want to go back.

One of the principle things we stumbled upon to give the racer a better experience:
1) Condensed qualifying
Why spend so much of your race day to find out who starts 10 feet ahead of the next guy? Seed the mains with a fast lap rocket round and then bring on the racing!

2) Longer races
Brushless motors and LiPo batteries give you shorter charge cycle and longer run times. Take advantage of the improvements and spend the time on the track running 10-15 minute races.

3) Shorter race days
Who has time to spend all day at the track? With a race day focused on just a few classes, you don’t spend endless hours waiting for your class to finally roll around. Try to keep the race day to 6 hours or less.

4) Less frequent races
Racing one or two class no more than twice a month keeps it special and easier to schedule with the ”significant other”, or whatever you need do the other 29 days of the month.

UF1 an “open source” racing format developed by racers. First and foremost, your race director needs to be willing to try something different to make it work for the racers. The evolution was a process that took several years and the result of the active feedback from racers. As other tracks begin to experiment with the format and apply it to club racing, they will find that over time the participation will grow because racers will have more fun racing.
BTW:
Good to see this movement expanding beyond So. Cal.

An UF1 thread has been opened in the California Regional forum.
The nicknames of the tracks are (in the most part) inherited from an F1 series that was run back in the 90's. RedBullFiXX was one of the organizers and we are most fortunate to have him and other "vintage" F1 racers like FWM participate in this series with us today. The names do somewhat reflect the spirit of the tracks we run at. For example, our "Monte Carlo" race in August is a very tight track and all turns. The last race of the series "Korean GP" is held at TQ raceway by Sean Park.
Wow, that is a tough one to answer… No disrespect intended towards an experienced racer like yourself, but it is kind of like asking “how do you buy a car?”.

I guess the first thing is to get a core group of F1 racers together and agree on a package.
We run:
21.5 w/endbell timing allowed
no-boost ESC
max width of 190mm
rubber tires
Direct drive (F104) and FGX chassis are allowed
Realistic”ish” bodies/wings
  • Tell your race director you are going to run one 2 minute fast lap qualifier to seed the mains.
  • Run three 10 or 15 minute races, resorting the mains between heats (if you have more than one main, bump ups are too complicated for most directors)
  • Optionally, have pit stops in mains for additional strategy and realism (and give you a few seconds to blink).
  • Score by total laps run or assign points by finish position in each main.

The UF1 website is here for more detail. Feel free to ask if you have any more questions.
Perhaps I was over thinking your answer in my previous post...

If you are asking if UF1 has some type of governing body that sanctions races or wants to "qualify" a program,..... the short answer is there is no process. Everyone is on their own to determine the rules, venues and scoring.
For those of you who don't know or may have forgotten

Tim R. aka 240Z is a major factor along with Charles Lightfoot in getting the fire lit and keeping it burning for the ULTIMATE F1 (UF1) racing format.

We use his timer, his contributing ideas...and on and on.

Just sayin, the guy deserves our proper respects!
Keep it up dude!
'cuda
Old 07-09-2012, 08:31 PM
Tech Champion

So how many UF1 threads are there now?

Where we gonna meet?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.