Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Point & Shoot vs Swoop

Search this Thread

Old 07-09-2012, 05:33 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 16 (100%+)

Just drive it like you stole it..........
Old 07-09-2012, 07:38 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Originally Posted by syndr0me
I'll share two of my favorite PnS videos:

By far the best of all time:
+ YouTube Video
ERROR: If you can see this, then YouTube is down or you don't have Flash installed.

A bit more subtle, but Hara's car in super stock at 2010 IIC really exemplifies the way I aspire to drive a touring car.
+ YouTube Video
ERROR: If you can see this, then YouTube is down or you don't have Flash installed.
I don't consider that point and shoot. It's onroad driving. When I think point and shoot, I think of how inexperienced people drive off road cars. Full speed towards the corner, slam on the brakes, look up the rear wheels, slide the rear end around, and then floor it out with no semblance of a smooth line. The worst one are the people who drive towards the outside of a corner to hit a berm like it's some supercross track. I just don't see that with onroad.
Old 07-09-2012, 07:51 PM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 32 (100%+)

The differences are nuanced, but real.

To me, it's the difference between driving a "U" shaped turn like a U and like this: |_|.

If you've got the motor, either way can be fast. And the square way might be easier, especially if there's limited lateral grip and the cars want to break traction in the middle of your precious arc. It's also harder to to repeat consistently. At least in my experience.

With slower motors, the U might be faster. But what is "slower?" I can hang just fine even with 17.5 when I drive square.
Old 07-09-2012, 07:58 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 24 (100%+)

Come on Syn you know the fastest way is to point and shoot while being as swoopy as possible.
Old 07-09-2012, 08:03 PM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 32 (100%+)

Originally Posted by 303slowdown
Come on Syn you know the fastest way is to point and shoot while being as swoopy as possible.
The holy grail!
Old 07-09-2012, 08:10 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 24 (100%+)

I think I drive swoopy. I crash a lot. Take it for what its worth.
Old 07-09-2012, 08:10 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

If a cougar were chasing you would you run swoopy through the forest, trying to beat it with your dialed lines, or would you just dash from tree to tree and hope it can't hang? I think the answer is clear...most RC drivers wouldn't even make it to the first tree. Does it really matter? Just make sure to put up a fight.
Old 07-09-2012, 08:19 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 34 (100%+)
Cool

Originally Posted by samnelso
If a cougar were chasing you would you run swoopy through the forest, trying to beat it with your dialed lines, or would you just dash from tree to tree and hope it can't hang? I think the answer is clear...most RC drivers wouldn't even make it to the first tree. Does it really matter? Just make sure to put up a fight.
Depends what she looks like ?
Old 07-09-2012, 11:43 PM
Tech Adept

Smooth to me means following the racing line(s), and optimal speeds through the corners. This will always be faster than PnS, all else being equal. It will also be much, much harder to do, as you'll be driving on the edge all the time. If the PnS car can accelerate at max down the straight, so can the smooth car... and the smooth car will have had more speed coming onto the straight.