Wiki Posts
Search

Dear Santa....

Search this Thread

Old 07-05-2012, 04:32 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 12 (100%+)
Default Dear Santa....

Dear Santa, please bring back Foam touring car racing. Please! pretty please with milk and cookies on top.
Old 07-05-2012, 05:56 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

Mmmmm prolly not gonna happen. The price of tires aren't exactly cheap for foam and truers etc. I do like foam but rubber is cheaper still. On-road isnt exactly topping the charts right now on popularity. We need it to get there and then foam may have a chance.
Old 07-05-2012, 06:03 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)

Originally Posted by kobiwan
Dear Santa, please bring back Foam touring car racing. Please! pretty please with milk and cookies on top.
+1!!

Price is basically the same as spec tire rubber classes. When I quit racing in 07 I would buy two sets of parma foams which would last me roughly 4 weekends of carpet racing. Some of these pre-mount rubber brands only have 3 competitive runs...

Truer's aren't that much...no more than a set of tire warmers. For carpet, its the way to go.

Paragon too!
Old 07-05-2012, 06:24 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Originally Posted by kobiwan
+1000! Miss the foam days. At least pan cars will always be on foams
Old 07-05-2012, 06:26 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

Originally Posted by S.Stew
+1!!

Price is basically the same as spec tire rubber classes. When I quit racing in 07 I would buy two sets of parma foams which would last me roughly 4 weekends of carpet racing. Some of these pre-mount rubber brands only have 3 competitive runs...

Truer's aren't that much...no more than a set of tire warmers. For carpet, its the way to go.

Paragon too!
I have everything you stated except a tire truer. Hell I still have 6 sets of foam in my trunk that are setup for race day. I liked foams a lot don't get me wrong but people look at rubber as a cheaper alternative.

Yeah if you are running Sorex's you might get 3 runs out of them. But the Solaris hards I can usually get about 2-3 weekends out of a set. I'm sure I could go a month if I pushed em but my results wouldn't be great at the end.
Old 07-05-2012, 06:38 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)

Id love to see foam TC make a comeback... I doubt itll ever happen, but it would be cool to see a stock foam class again.
Old 07-05-2012, 07:13 PM
Tech Champion

Dear Santa...please make a rubber tire that works as good as a foam tire! For both TCs and pan cars
Old 07-05-2012, 07:50 PM
Tech Master

Hmmmm. interesting to read these comments. The guys I have talked to remember the days where you only got one or two runs out of a set of foam tires. They would use 5-6 sets a race day between qualifiers, mains, and practice. I never ran foam tc but I got good wear out of foam f1 and 1/12 tires but I never cut them. These guys were talking about having to cut 75% off when new just to be competitive. Can someone explain why they would need to do this? Personally I prefer rubber for the scale looks and having to tune the car for the tires. Foams just make traction too easy.
Old 07-05-2012, 08:55 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 42 (100%+)

I bash my head off a wall every time I read "it's a cheaper alternative". If you're at a higher competitive level, rubber tires stay strong for a couple runs before falling off and barrel rolling into inconstancy. (if you can take note of the change) In the end, I address them the same. And if you're at a big race blowing stacks on the usual parts, bodies, beer, and strippers, what's the "extra" couple bucks to ya? Love to see some foam conversion come out for modern sedans.. that'd be the day.