Community
Wiki Posts
Search

The Gran Turismo 1/10 (GT10) Class

Search this Thread

Old 07-05-2012, 10:29 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 9 (91%+)

Like CristianTabush said in the earlier post, there will be a GT10 class offered in the first 2 series races of the Texas Electric On-Road Series. Race #1 is happening in Houston, Texas on Saturday, July 14 (with practice sessions of Friday, July 13). If anybody is interested, take a look at the flyer by clicking on this image link.
http://i681.photobucket.com/albums/texaseosflyer_600.jpg
Old 07-06-2012, 03:59 PM
Tech Elite

By far the coolest aspect of GT10 racing is the wide wide selection of bodies. Take a look at this sample.

Last edited by wwddww34; 07-06-2012 at 04:52 PM.
Old 07-06-2012, 11:27 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 65 (100%+)
Wink

The GT10 class was started over 3yrs ago with great success. People love the class cause it's a fun realistic looking class. The field is fairly even cause you can only do so much with a "closed" can motor for $15. The tazer esc was choosen from where are local hobbyshop orders from. You don't have to have an expensive car at all. I run a TC3 along with some others. This class has grown so much over time.
Old 07-07-2012, 06:59 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Todd's right. The couple of times I ran the class (with one of his cars) I had a total blast. Honestly, I'd rather run this class than VTA, but VTA is what is run where I'm at (hate Novak gear).

Originally Posted by BIG DADDY8
The GT10 class was started over 3yrs ago with great success. People love the class cause it's a fun realistic looking class. The field is fairly even cause you can only do so much with a "closed" can motor for $15. The tazer esc was choosen from where are local hobbyshop orders from. You don't have to have an expensive car at all. I run a TC3 along with some others. This class has grown so much over time.
Old 07-07-2012, 02:04 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Originally Posted by snoopyrc
If you are using a 27turm brushed motor? Then why does it matter what ESC you run? None of them can make it faster none of them can add timing like a brushless ESC can.
Agreed. It should be "bring what you have, brushed esc only" and use that Axial 27t motor. That would make it even cheaper because everyone has an esc they just need to get that motor and a scale body
Old 07-07-2012, 07:38 PM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by Hyde
If you are using a 27turm brushed motor? Then why does it matter what ESC you run? None of them can make it faster none of them can add timing like a brushless ESC can.
Agreed. It should be "bring what you have, brushed esc only" and use that Axial 27t motor. That would make it even cheaper because everyone has an esc they just need to get that motor and a scale body
The simple answer is cost. The Tazer has the lowest "off-the-shelf" cost.

The not-so-simple answer is (... pause for effect ...) you know and I know that with a 27T brushed motor there are no ESC's out there that can make it turn faster. But (... pause for effect ...) for that newbie racer who just put together a brand new GT10 with a brand new Tazer ESC and brand new 27T motor, the thing that he wants to blame for all the cars passing him by on the track is "that other brand ESC that looks fancier and has all kinds of boosting to make a 27T go faster".
Old 07-07-2012, 08:05 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Then I invite you to look up the specs of an old Tekin G12 and compare them to the Tazer.

There's a 4 amp advantage alone in the BEC...That does not equal horsepower, but it indicates efficiency...
Old 07-08-2012, 12:28 AM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by Farmer_John
Then I invite you to look up the specs of an old Tekin G12 and compare them to the Tazer.

There's a 4 amp advantage alone in the BEC...That does not equal horsepower, but it indicates efficiency...
Naaaah. That's all advertisement from back in the brushed days. Besides you can't buy the Tekin G12 anywhere and yet you can buy the Tazer 15T today.
Old 07-08-2012, 12:41 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 69 (100%+)

How reliable is the ESC listed in the rule? Can it take all the beating from racers? Since the price is reasonable, I think I'll also consider it in our series if it's reliable.
Old 07-08-2012, 01:23 AM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by eComet
How reliable is the ESC listed in the rule? Can it take all the beating from racers? Since the price is reasonable, I think I'll also consider it in our series if it's reliable.
As long as the ESC is mounted INSIDE the vehicle (i.e. not in a position where another car can knock it around or completely remove it) and the wires are zip tied and tucked away, the ESC is one of the most reliable ones out there.
Old 07-08-2012, 02:15 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 49 (100%+)

Originally Posted by CristianTabush
If you think there is no advantages in speed controllers, you must not remember the brushed motor days and you are probably not very familiar with how MOSFETs work. Speed controllers can make a HUGE difference, even with 27T motors.
Originally Posted by wwddww34
Thanks Cristian, I couldn't have said it any better.

The not-so-simple answer is (... pause for effect ...) you know and I know that with a 27T brushed motor there are no ESC's out there that can make it turn faster. But (... pause for effect ...) for that newbie racer who just put together a brand new GT10 with a brand new Tazer ESC and brand new 27T motor, the thing that he wants to blame for all the cars passing him by on the track is "that other brand ESC that looks fancier and has all kinds of boosting to make a 27T go faster".

David,
It's one thing to pretend to act like you know, but at least don't contradict yourself within the same thread. 10 days ago you didn't know this class existed.

BTW I am glad this class is making ground for itself in Houston.
Old 07-08-2012, 06:04 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

I was afraid my question would stir the pot, but it was an honest question. A nicer ESC might be smoother or more efficient but with battery capacity like it is today that should not make the difference in any race. Wide open throttle should be all the battery has to offer thrown straight into the motor, and that should be the case with any esc. If its not then go get yourself a fast small servo and a wiper arm speed control and let it rip.

Regardless of all that. The price point on the equipment you chose is so low that it is a reasonable rule if only for the sake of uniformity. I wish you guys the best and I would certainly participate if I were a couple of states closer to you. When the entry ticket is that low just pay it and have fun, even if you do have a stack of retired brushed ESC in a box.

What kind of speeds are you guys getting? Sounds a little quicker than VTA.
I need to see some video and pics as well. Its not right for you guys to have all this fun and not share.

Last edited by snoopyrc; 07-08-2012 at 06:20 AM. Reason: to elaborate, redefine
Old 07-08-2012, 07:26 AM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by Hyde
Locally we ran a mini class using the kit 540 motor. A driver of similar ability to me bought a cheap ESC for his mini, while I dug out an old high end race ESC from my spares box. The lower internal resistance of my high end ESC means the motor does get a bit more voltage for extra speed, but more importantly the more advanced technology in the ESC meant there was a much better power delivery when accelerating and my car could pull up to 6 feet on the main straight over his car.

You can pick up high end brushed ESCs for peanuts on ebay, but opening up the ESC rules would mean you end up allowing the Tekin FX-Pro and LRP QC-3 as well.
Old 07-08-2012, 10:12 AM
Tech Regular

Shouldnt it be 4wd or 2wd only? A 2wd pan car will be much faster than a 4wd belt driven tc any day
Old 07-08-2012, 11:32 AM
Tech Fanatic

Makes total sence: "you have a tazer, and I have a Novak cyclone and you whooped me, cheater!" lol

Last edited by Hyde; 07-08-2012 at 03:24 PM.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.